Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SaGa Frontier, or "Diary of the Impulse Buyer"

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default SaGa Frontier, or "Diary of the Impulse Buyer"

So, I was in a Game Shop earlier today and, as the title would imply, I happened upon a copy of SaGa frontier for about 25 dollars. Now, I had already heard of the game, and had no interest in the series, but seeing it there physically made me want to try it out. So, when I get the chance to play it, I'll update a game journal for this cult classic.

Before that; here's what little I DO know about the game:

I'm aware that the games aren't particularly story-driven, and that the entire world is open from the start. While initially this sounded suspect, I feel like that could give the game a larger emphasis on lore over narrative, which is something I like in RPGs.

The artwork is good. I mean REALLY good. To say nothing of the sprite work in the sequel (of which I have seen on the demo disc included with Vagrant Story); I'm always a sucker for good artwork in my JRPGs.

...and that's about it really. I'm kinda excited, and kinda nervous to see how this game turns out!
    Returners Represent!

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

It's a pretty neat game. You get to choose which main character you want to play and then see their story. As you do more of them, you get to see how they all inter-connect into a larger overall story.

Personal recommendation, do not start with Lute. His story is far and away the most open ended and it is possible to stumble into the final dungeon right at the start of the game. Red's story is also notable for being particularly tough for a first playthrough, so I'd put that off for a bit.

Articles
    Blog Entries

After starting Emelia's story and not knowing where the Hell to go, I decided to start with the Robot's story (whom I have named "Robo" after the Chrono Trigger character.

So, we have Thyme, Rosemary, and... Uncle Taco? The hell? (Like, takoyaki?)
    Returners Represent!

T260G has a pretty spiffy story mode and the best last boss in the game.

Blog Entries

1 & 2 are probably my favorite RPGs of all time. I hope you enjoy it

Articles
    Blog Entries

So I've made it past the first dungeon. Gen is like, super cool. I've never been able to play as a drunken master swordfighter who is now on his way to becoming a firearms expert (one of the highlights of this game, I suppose). The scene in which T260G (from here on referred to as RoboG, because Uncle Taco is a git) has to rewrite his priorities to rescue Thyme was seriously awesome. I can see why a lot of people like his scenario.

I'm in the second town now (RoboG's story seems a lot more linear than Emelia's, or is it just me?), and I've gotten Riki and his traveling companion. Beastkin, or whatever they're called in SaGa are REALLY weird.
    Returners Represent!

Yeah, monsters are pretty all over the place and it can be difficult to get them just the right skills while maintaining a form you like as well.

From what you are saying it sounds like you have just arrived in Junk, which is where the game opens up for T260, so you should be able to start flying around and exploring soon!
    \ ^_^ /

Articles
    Blog Entries

They have old PS1 games at this game shop? Gimmie!

I never played any of the SaGa games. I'm only familiar with the first couple being renamed "Final Fantasy Legends" in order to boost sales. Not really all that interested to try them out.

They certainly aren't for everyone, and even within the series there's a lot of diversity from game to game, so even if you found one you liked you may not find another one you do. I still wish there were more, though.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Go to the junk shop in Scrap, pay the admission to root around for three pieces of equipment. Go to the lizards behind the register again and attempt to sell a Hyperion Bazooka (even though you don't have one). When it makes the "bzzt" noise, go back into the junk pile and start looting. The items get better on each pass so after about forty minutes you'll be totally outfitted with some ballin' equipment. You can sell the weaker swords in Shrike at the robotics plant.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Thanks Jowy, that's good to know!
    Returners Represent!

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

I'd keep swords on Gen too, honestly. You're gonna want at least two to three sword-swingers and he's one of the best. You're able to pick up Annie at some point too and she's pretty clutch too. Leave the guns to Emelia and Mei-ling.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I have no intention of him primarily using guns
    Returners Represent!

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Asellus is my favorite character to choose. I like that her quest has multiple endings and the area you start out in is mesmerizing. This game is great, even though it isn't complete. It turns out there was a character named Fuse that was never finished, you can find remnants of unfinished material on the disc.

The fan art and cosplay people make for this game is phenomenal.
    Last edited by Lone Wolf Leonhart; 11-14-2014 at 08:59 AM.