Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Notion That Nintendo is Kiddy

(@sharky, and to a lesser degree sky, but more addressed in the first edit, posts popped up while I was typing)

Compared to other Nintendo properties, yes. But in the context of my tastes, sadly, it doesn't hold up. I'm trying to think of fair comparisons to illustrate what I need out of games, where not everything has to be a BioWare RPG. Platformers are a hard sell. By their nature they don't require much plot or character development. So I quit playing Mario for not suiting those needs. But then along came Braid. With bits of mystery and snippets of really interesting and charming characterization. Weird and intriguing gameplay. And an end-game reveal that was so out of left field I didn't even get it at the time, it was later explained to me and made me appreciate it even more. To me, Mario is just colorful with good controls, but there's nothing else to it, for me

Looking to games like Zelda or Metroid where you're basically just running around killing stuff and solving puzzles or getting upgrades to advance, they kinda only have that going. Link meets some weird characters but they rarely add anything to the story other than plot convenience. Shiek is usually about the only character that ever helps advance the plot outside of giving Link something useful for the next dungeon, or giving him a horse to ride around on. And the only Metroid I've ever sunk much time into was Prime, and even then it kinda grated on me. I tried regular and Super Metroid and lost interest in them pretty quickly for not offering anything other than random exploration and weird bugs attacking me. I didn't get anything out of it. But now there's "Metroidvanias" that I think built the exploration and mechanics into the game with much more necessity. And adventure RPGs like Fable and Darksiders has raised the bar beyond Zelda's forgettable and whimsical characters and plot convenience. Things actually feel like they're at stake. The characters (especially in the Darksiders example) or well fleshed out and really interesting. And on the Metroidvania front we have things like Cave Story, which to me so much a better Metroid. Probably because it has memorable characters. Again, things are at stake. Characters are at stake. There are things I can sink my teeth into. I figure out the mystery of what's going on. Watching my friends die. And doing everything I can to save anyone I can while I can. For such a simplistic game, it was delivered phenomenally. Not trying to say if you enjoy Cave Story for what it is, then you must be too advanced to enjoy Metroid or that there must be something wrong with anyone who enjoys Metroid

Their charm and appeal are just lost on me, because I need those deeper ideals. There needs to be better reasons for me to play. More at stake. More mental stimulation. Hopefully I've made a good illustration

Though comparing things to Starfox is hard. That series is generally fun as hell, and there aren't a lot of really good spacefaring dogfight sims out there to take the crown. But I wish there were, because Starfox also just feels like a really fun time-waster. Unfortunately

Edit: Regarding Majora's Mask. I have never played it. I attempted to, through emulation, especially because OoT was the only Zelda game I've enjoyed to completion. But even as someone who is not a fan of the series, I am aware enough to know that Majora's Mask is basically the black sheep of the Zelda-verse. Is there any other game in the series quite like it?

As far as Metroid, I think I probably need a bit more than atmosphere, sadly. It also might be that I didn't play any Metroid game until well after Symphony of the Night. I either was an adult, or close to it. So by the time I got to Metroid, that dark depressing atmosphere was lost on me. It just felt like a lot of running around in the dark with a lot of backtracking. It may have been wholly different had it played it as a child. Same probably goes for Zelda. I had Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy and then I got my Genesis and only played Sega games until mid high school. They didn't hit me at the most impressionable time in my life. Who knows what the reasoning is

I should also admit that I don't play games as much as I would like. Not nearly enough. My standards are too high even for me. I taste test a lot of games, but barely any of them have lasting appeal. I don't just game to game, I'm constantly looking for something. Always trying to find "that game". Which delivers a transcendal experience rather than just something fun to do to unwind. I hate it. But it's how my brain is wired. And with those standards in mind, Nintendo just really doesn't offer enough for me :/
    Last edited by Vyk; 11-07-2014 at 05:40 PM.

Actually, Zelda has been getting darker and more in-depth as the series has aged. There are several games that tackle mature themes and concepts, though Majora's Mask undoubtedly does so with the most depth. I've heard Skyward Sword does a decent job, though I haven't gotten far enough in to be sure. But Link Between Worlds actually does quite well through the handling of its primary villain.

Also, none of your arguments have declared the games as "kiddy". Not being to your taste is one thing, but don't slap an incorrect, dismissive label on something just because of that.

Finally, no one has brought up Fire Emblem yet? I didn't want to be the first one but if no one else is going to mention the obvious...
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't know if there are other Zelda's like Majora's Mask, because the only Zelda games I've played are it and OoT. I can tell you MM is much deeper and it is very involving. I am a huge fan of character driven stories. The characters are well fleshed out and have oodles more personality and story than most in OoT. That's one of the reasons I love it so much and one of the things that makes it so heartbreaking is you CARE about the NPC's in a way very few games pull off. Usually NPC are just background, but in MM they make the story.

You can go through the game rather quickly while doing no sidequests, in which case its not all that deep or meaningful or touching, but if you actually invest the time in to it, it does a great job of adding a certain depth to it that I have rarely found in other games. Not to mention all of the theories floating around about it that can make you see the game in a different light. Its incredibly touching, several character stories have made me cry, and the game actually makes you WANT to save them all, despite the fact that until you finish the game it is incredibly difficult to do. And then when you turn back time everyone is just miserable again and it breaks your heart.

As far as other games that do something like you asked, its really hard to give suggestions because I'd say that's more subjective. Majora's Mask did that for me. So did Final Fantasy IX. So did the Xenosaga's and some of the Suikoden's. As far as Fire Emblem, I love Awakening and all of its characters and its dating sim elements and its made it to be one of my favourite games, but it didn't really give me "that" feeling.