Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shauna's Disney Extravaganza!

Articles

You might see it on the list if we ever get the rest of this list up.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Don't you worry your little cotton socks, friends! This will be back up and running TONIGHT!

Blog Entries

Why is Scar suddenly an earth bender in Be Prepared?
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Don't you worry your little cotton socks, friends! This will be back up and running TONIGHT!

For reals though:

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Matt ranked it at 22. Shauna ranked it at 2.
    OVERALL SCORE: 12

Matt: So, this movie is another one of those movies that didn't make my top 20, but is on our joint top 10 because Shauna loves some movies. This places at #22 for me. The movie itself is pretty good, but I don't have much to comment on about it.

Beauty and the Beast for me isn't about the romance between Belle and The Beast. It's not about the morale that beauty is only skin deep, it's not even about the curse turning all the castle staff into cutlery and furniture. It's all about Gaston. Gaston is probably my favourite Disney villain. He is an arrogant jock that is used to getting his way all the time. The whole town loves him, and he's used to getting his way all the time. That why he wants to marry Belle over any of the bar wenches he could easily bang whenever, because he wants the pretty girl who isn't smitten with him at first sight simply because she isn't smitten with him at first sight.

You also totally know in most stories, Gaston is the good guy. Storming the Castle of a monster to save a girl is the common trope for stories like this. It's refreshing to see it reversed.

Shauna: When I was younger I watched a fair bit of Disney, believe it or not. Although, back then following The Rescuers as my favourite movie was The Little Mermaid. Not so much these days, since it appears that Beauty and the Beast currently sits in my #2. Which in a weird sort of way makes it my favourite Disney movie, as my #1 is there because of blind nostalgia and an inability to let go of my childhood or something. Thinking back on it though, it makes sense for this to be the case. The first Disney DVD I really wanted to own was Beauty and the Beast, and I totally bid on “legit” copies of it on eBay back in the day. My Dad bought me the special 2-disc/format edition the year it was re-released, so all was right in the end. This was the one that started my collection, and it’s probably the one I’ll go back and watch before the rest.

Beauty and the Beast is about a brunette who likes reading… well, that’s enough for me to have someone to relate to! Particularly as a bookish child. When do you ever see bookworms getting anything good? I don’t think in the media I consumed as a child there was much, and to have Belle being portrayed in a positive light only made it better. Okay fine, the townsfolk thought she was a bit weird for reading and generally not being dumb, but who cares what others think? She certainly didn’t. A little bit of a role-model to me, I think – not a bad choice though. She’s kind, caring, unselfish in her acts and pretty smart to boot. Not too bad a combo. Anyway, enough gushing about how Belle is the greatest ever, there are other things I enjoy about Beauty and the Beast. Promise.

The rest of the characters are excellently put together too. Beast has a well-rounded character arc, starting off as an angry evil guy and becoming less so as the movie goes on. Redemption! Gaston is possibly one of my favourite villains – he is just so ridiculous, but damn does he become menacing as the plot progresses. Also his Mob Song quotes Macbeth, can’t go wrong there. The side characters are all a lot of fun, and they don’t feel like pointless padding despite there being quite a few of them. Lumiere and Cogsworth have a wonderful banterous relationship, and Mrs Potts is the caring motherly (grandmother? What age is she?!) type that we all need in our lives. All in all, a fantastic cast of characters.

I think the last thing I’ll talk about here is the whole host of excellent musical numbers that accompanied the movie. From Belle’s opening number to Be Our Guest, they’re all damned catchy and wonderfully put together. And really? No one’s as good at expectorating as Gaston. If they say it in a song, you know it’s true. The stage show is also pretty rad, I thoroughly enjoyed myself when I saw it, and it was great to hear all the classic songs performed live in a theatre.

It is a really gorgeous movie, and the fact that we watched it on Blu-ray in all its high definition only made it more beautiful! It’s the only Blu-ray I own, so I had to try that old thing out as soon as I got the chance. And by damn, it only made me want to have my own giant library with books from the floor to the ceiling, except this time in glorious HD.

So yes, Beauty and the Beast is brilliant. Am I missing anything from my commentary? Oh, right. Something something Stockholm syndrome, something something bestiality. Happy?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Matt "doesn't have much to say".

Lies.

He just wants to play more FF14 so rushed something short out so he could stop me nagging him.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Shauna likes tales about Stockholm Syndrome and bestiality. That's a wild one you've got, Matt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I refute the notion that either exists in this story, so I'm okay, right?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

...maybe in regards to this. Overall? I'm not so sure...

Serious question: did you guys watch The Nightmare Before Christmas?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

We did, but it's not included in the round-up. Although Disney technically owns it, after some deliberation we decided it doesn't quite fit the bill. If we did include it though, it would have hit around #5 for us.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, that's why I asked. I figured it'd be high ranking for you guys, because I know you both love it.

Articles

Fun fact. until 2 years ago I had never seen it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Articles
    Blog Entries

I still haven't seen it...

Articles

I dated a girl that was typical 20XX emo chick so there was lots of merchandise around and I had seen the last 5 minutes of it, but I never watched the full movie start to finish.

It's good though, is still amazingly animated even 20+ years on.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    I still haven't seen it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa