Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Top Video Game Characters

I recently just played Dragon Age origins and Dragon Age II for the first time.

These were the best:

Zevran - Unlike Morrigan, Zevran is actually likable in how evil he is. He handles everything with a flippant flair that makes it seem like he's less a monster or a killer and more just....excitable. He's simply the most fun to talk to of everyone in DAO, even if Sten is more interesting to talk to. Zevran is the ultimate bro - albeit a very sexy bro I slept with gladly. But it's not all skin deep. You can sleep with him but if you start to actually get close to him, he holds off on the sex because he wants to make sure it's something more. His life, no matter how glamorous he tries to make it, has clearly hurt him in many, many ways and helping re-establish his ability to form meaningful bonds with other people is a very warm and satisfying thing.

Merrill - I romanced her on my second playthrough. Friendmance, if you are wondering which one. I was initially put off by the face tattoos but if you just talk to Merrill, it's impossible to not love her.

Merrill: Your armor is very shiny, Sebastian. Doesn't that make you an easier target?
    Sebastian: The Light of the Maker is my armor, Merrill. I am not afraid.
    Merrill: Maybe you could ask Him to make His Light less shiny? Then you wouldn't need as much armor.

Perhaps I just have a weakness for the "cute bubbly one" because I also fell in love with Leliana in DAO. But Merrill has an earnestness about her that you can't help but find endearing. She's doing the best she can, in spite of being raised by a bunch of superstitious racists. They deserved to die. Now she can live a more happy life with Hawke, someone who truly appreciates her.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I had no idea those games had a dating sim aspect to them

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think every BioWare game can turn into a dating sim.

Kane from Command & Conquer

Kane is one of the all time villain greats in video games, and Joseph D. Kucan is one of the greatest actors I've ever seen. He puts so much love into his role and you can tell he's having fun with it even when the game is troutty *coughcoughcnc4coughcough* Not afraid to get his hands dirty, the first time you see this character is when he's shooting a traitor point blank in the head and shoving him out of his chair. Kane alone made the Tiberian series worth playing. He had all the cool lines, all the cool clothes. Kane had it all and you wanted to be Nod and rule the world. Peace through power! Peace through power! Peace through power!

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    Viktor (Suikoden I&II):
    Attachment 61510

In game use: Viktor, in both games, is basically pure strength. He's great at dealing damage, has a lot of HP, but sucks at magic. He's a mandatory party member quite often, but he's actually a really useful character

Why I like him: Viktor is kind of like the stereotype of the giant bear like man with the heart of gold. He's constantly helping the practically child heroes with the stuff they have going on, and he always fights on the side he believes is right. He's a good friend, and a good fighter. He also comes up with the worst disguise names ever
    His interactions with the Star Dragon Sword are usually pretty great too. I love that he finally manages to pawn it off on someone in the third game. XD

One day I will play the Command and Conquer series. ._.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah Suikoden managed to write a better relationship between a man and a snarky sword than some games manage between two main characters x)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    One day I will play the Command and Conquer series. ._.
    Yes you do, and I recommend stopping as soon as EA takes over development of the series because they ruin it. They absolutely ruin it!

Garrus Vakarian from Mass Effect

Garrus Vakarian is the best of the best of the best. He ain't got time to mess with no C-Sed regulations, he's on the road after Saren! He's bringing back the color blue. He's the only legitimate relationship option in Mass Effect 2.

I love Garrus 'cause he's a baller. He doesn't mess around and has a zero tolerance policy for scumbags like that guy you go after in ME2. I can't remember his name because he is scum. And he's loyal just like Freya said. He took the fight to Omega and smurf up their trout. Garrus took a missile to the FACE and got right back up again. Garrus is love. Garrus is life. For the love of God, BioWare, give us a Garrus Vakarian spinoff game!

Would you believe I haven't played Mass Effect either? I own it, too. It's just sitting in my Steam library with Dragon Age Origins. ._.

I like everything I've seen of Garrus, though.

You know, regarding Garrus, I would love to see a Mass Effect game from a non-human perspective. Like, playing as a Turian commander during the Human-Turian war? That would be incredible. They're still close enough culturally to humanity that it would still make sense, but different enough that it would completely change the feel of the game. Different value systems, different types of character...

That would be the best.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    Would you believe I haven't played Mass Effect either? I own it, too. It's just sitting in my Steam library with Dragon Age Origins. ._.
    Sounds like you have some Steaming to do. ME1 is probably the weakest of the trilogy gameplay wise, but well worth the playthrough to have your decisions carry over to the next game. I have my issues with ME3, but I still enjoyed playing it.

I'm getting the ME Trilogy this week and will be playing all the games for the first time.

If anyone is interested, I can do a thread on my playthrough. Then everyone can yell at me for my moral choices like people did elsewhere with DA.

I'm sorry but the Desire Demon was very nice and just asked me to leave her with Connor. She even offered a deal and honored her word. Honestly, she was one of the nicest, most reasonable people I interacted with in Origins.

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Nuff said.

Jodie Holmes from Beyond: Two Souls

This is a game I only played fairly recently, but it quickly became one of my favorites. Jodie is a girl bound to an entity from another world named Aiden that interacts with this one granting Jodie paranormal abilities. I love her relationship with Aiden and other characters she comes across during the course of the story. This one is hard to gauge since her character traits can be decided by the player, but my Jodie was awesome. Couldn't make her crack. Look at all these boys trying to get a piece of this. REJECTED!
    You can hardly do anything with Jodie. You can let her say yes or no but other than in Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit Jodie has a real canonical character. Beyond: Two Souls is very limited when it comes to that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

More characters

Sofia De Sainte-Coquille (Rune Factory 3):
    Sofiaswimsuit.png

In game use: She uses a sword for fighting, but due to the nature of the game, I don't really bring her along often. Instead, she is one of the potential romantic interests, and she is the daughter of the wealthy man Sherman and also has a sister who is a fashion "designer". She sometimes speaks in opposites, which will be displayed in red text. She likes junk items like weeds and cans.

Tumblrm7qwy4etqy1rbmki4.png

Why I like her: On top of being adorable, I find her to be such a sweet girl. When you find out why she speaks in opposites it's very touching and she often shows how much she cares about her family. She's a good friend and very kind. Also, its sweet and endearing when she falls in love with you and tells you that she's burned everything that reminds her of you in a ritualistic bonfire, so you should get together sometime!

Anju (The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask):

In game use: Anju is an NPC, but has one of the biggest sidequests in the game, that of reuniting her with her fiance, Kafei. She's also the Innkeeper of Clock Town

Event03.jpg

Why I like her: She has such a sweet story. Her fiance was cursed so he's in hiding until he can do some things he needs to do. She, meanwhile, waits for him, knowing the world is about to end. The whole thing is just heartbreaking and seeing them reunite at the end is beautiful. Although bittersweet if the moon falls afterwards. On top of that, she's just a kind and sweet lady and you really feel for her throughout the game.

Talim (Soul Calibur series):
    talim.jpg

In game use: It is a fighting game, so she's used for fighting! As far as I know, she's considered a lower-tier character, but she's very quick and good for someone like me who can't memorize move sets

hqdefault.jpg

Why I like her: Well she seems like a sweet girl, but its a fighting game so the personalities aren't super fleshed out. I like using her because she is (very quick) and its easy to figure out some moves. Basically, she's easy to use and fast, two things I like in a fighting game character because... well I suck at fighting games

Miyuki Itsumi (Xenosaga series):
    char_56679.jpg

In game use: Miyuki is only playable in Episode III, where she fights with Shion's weapon from Episode I. In other games, she is a colleague of Shion's, an inventor, a system's programmer, does some engineering, sends you some weapons, basically just a bunch of stuff.

mqdefault.jpg

Why I like her: Well, on top of apparently being able to do everything, Miyuki is adorable and silly. She brings a light heartedness to her scenes that you don't often get in this series, and I always enjoy seeing her thrive at whatever she's doing, despite Shion's verbal abuse.

Viki (Suikoden series):
    viki-147.jpg

In game use: Viki makes an appearance as a star of destiny in every Suikoden game (twice in one of them) and her role is that of a mage character. She can also teleport your hero and his ensemble to any previously visited areas

tumblr_mx7jjiaijv1rt2shro1_500.jpg

Why I like her: Because she's a lovable goofball. She's not the brightest, but she's sweet. And confused. Very confused. About everything. She also brings some mystery to the game, but not serious mystery, just... mystery. She's very lighthearted, apparently can teleport through time (she lives the Suikoden games out of order) and once had a child Viki appear who was much smarter and more serious than the Viki we all know and love. Plus it gets tiring walking everywhere so its always useful to be able to teleport around

Articles
    Blog Entries

Revolver Ocelot from Metal Gear Solid

To think that the first boss you ever face in MGS would wind up being the last boss you face at the end of the Snake's story. Ocelot was one of many senior characters in the series to show that age was just a number. His look, his choice of weapon, and his unpredictability makes Ocelot one of the best characters coming out of the franchise. Ocelot stole the show for me in MGS2 and made the Tanker scene one of my favorite scenes of all time as a kid. It's a shame that his role in 4 was reduced to just emulating Liquid Snake. IMO Ocelot blows Liquid clear out of the water, there's no comparison. Ocelot is so cool that even Stan smurfing Lee cosplayed as him!

This is one old man you don't want to mess with.
    Last edited by Ayen; 12-29-2014 at 09:08 PM.

Viki is super interesting once you begin to consider who she is and where she is from in the larger scope of the game universe. It's VERY possible she is from the corridor linking worlds mentioned, and shown as I recall, in Tierkreis, and she has been shown to travel interdimensionally as well as through time. I can't help but wonder is she's a lot smarter than she lets on and has a hidden motive in the games. :o A bit too bad Konami isn't interested in making Suikoden VI and giving more explanation to her. (And Jeane)

I love Ocelot in the original MGS. His boss fight wasn't my favorite, but it was one of them, and I agree he was a far better villain in every way than Liquid.

EDIT: Also, for whatever reason, Sophia liking weeds and cans is beyond hilarious to me. XD
    Come to think of it, doesn't Viki's Blinking Rune drop trash on people in Suikoden II. They could be best buddies! :o
    Last edited by Rez09; 12-29-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Rita Mordio
    Tales of Vesperia

Man, I love Rita. Most Tales games have a character in this kind of role (the 'young genius' archetype) but never has it been pulled off as well as Rita. She's not only extremely knowledgeable, but also extremely logical. She often acts almost like a vessel for the player, by picking up on anything that seems like a tired game trope and makes fun of it. She's scathing and confident and I adore her. She's also a great mage who isn't completely useless when she's low on TP and needs to get stuck into some melee combat.