Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Top Video Game Characters

Articles

Fun fact. Rita is mai waifu.

She is the love of my life (Sorry Shauna).

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not digging Rita too much yet. I do like using her in battle though

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Nom nom nom quina

I like Quina From Final fantasy IX.
    S/He is ok in battle. using a plethra of blue magic.

But i like her because of her funny scenes. IE. when she marries vivi or when she is always being found in random place's like being fished out by eiko.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    I had no idea those games had a dating sim aspect to them
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I think every BioWare game can turn into a dating sim.
    All the way back to Baldur's Gate 2, yes

Though I've always felt their romantic writing was more organic and natural than the few dating sims I've had experience with (though I've never played any, so my perspective and opinion may be skewed and biased)

But speaking of BioWare gold

Minsc!

200px-Minsc.jpg

He definitely deserves a place on this list. Appeared in both Baldur's Gate games. He was easily one of the strongest party members you could have in the game. With such an amusing and charismatic personality. And completely insane. And also probably a bit ... "special" ... or slow... And awesome. His quotes ruled the internet in its early days. He's hilarious. Always has something to say for events, and makes the adventure a lot less tedious and much more entertaining

Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Evil 'round every corner

Careful not to step in any...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't have much experience with BioWare games, so I had no idea about that part of them. Or many parts really

Doing more characters so I can get through my list sometime this century >.>

Nera/Flora Briscoletti (Dragon Quest V):
    Floraa.jpg

In game use: One of the game's potential brides, Nera is the most magic oriented of the three. Meaning she is good at using magic and stuff. Yep

floraa.jpg

Why I like her: Dragon Quest V is nice enough to let us talk to our party members after... well everything. As such, you can hear her thoughts on pretty much everyone you talk to, and she is just the sweetest lady. She doesn't have a mean thought in her head. She always thinks the best of everyone, she stays positive in the face of everything, is immensely supportive and is just overall a sweetheart. She's not the bride of choice for most, but for me it was a no brainer

Yoshi (Marioverse):
    PM2_Yoshi.PNG

In game use: He's in so many different games, I can't even fill this out. I enjoy playing tennis with him

285px-Yotroutennis.jpg

Why I like him: He's adorable. I mean really just... adorable. And those noises ohmigosh. He seems like a swell dude too, I dunno, I can't understand him. BUT SO CUTE

Routier (Record of Agarest War Zero):
    500px-Profile_Routier.jpg

In game use: Routier is very much a mage character, and also was used as my main healer, being able to heal, revive, and cure status effects. She's also one of the potential bachelorettes of the first generation and my personal favourite

0.jpg

Why I like her: She's extremelly shy, but very sweet. She tries her hardest, even trying to learn how to use a sword at one point to better be of help and defend herself. She always puts other before herself, and she cares deeply for everyone. She's also a good cook as you find out in one of the few scenes where she actually talks about herself, and I liked learning that little detail about her since she's usually so modest

Oerba Yun Fang (Final Fantasy XIII):
    Final_Fantasy_XIII_Oerba_Yun_Fang_Wig_ver_01-5-01.jpg

In game use: You can make her any role you want, but she starts out with Commando, Saboteur, and Sentinel. I personally made her my main Commando, as she was very good at dealing damage, but I found her to be a subpar sentinel

500px-Fang_uhm_dunno.PNG

Why I like her: Fang grows on me more each time. I think she's a breath of fresh air, being different from most other ladies in the series. Or heck, most other men too. She's just a different character from most. I like who she is, showing strength and confidence without being arrogant, and I always loved her relationship with Vanille and how protective and caring she was. They should have kept them officially as a couple because it would be one of the better written romances in the series I think

Ruby (Dark Cloud):
    Ruby.png

In game use: Ruby is a magic character. She can change the elements on her weapons to suit the situations, and its in some cases necessary to open certain doors

Why I like her: Again, most characters in Dark Cloud get minimal dialogue and development, but Ruby is one tough cookie. She's the genie in the bottle, but with some sass to her. She's also super fun to use in dungeons, has decent speed, and is pretty easy to get the hang of

Judge Drace
    Final Fantasy XII

"Spare me your lies! I see the serpent coiled here before me!"

It makes me very, very sad that Drace didn't get more screen time. She was an honourable, noble Judge Magister and a mentor and protector to young Lord Larsa. She speaks her mind even when it is dangerous for her to do so, because she believes in true justice, not in being the puppet of some political tyrant. All the Judges are interesting in FFXII, but to me Drace was the best of them. That she only ended up being a 'minor' character is one of the game's biggest failings. Because they were onto a winner here.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Clementine from The Walking Dead

Can you guys tell I like zombie games yet? Clementine is the most adorable thing to ever be created by man's hands and I would have left that whole smurfing group from Season One to die if it meant keeping her alive. Her relationship with Lee gave me so many feels I felt like trout when the game finally ended. Watching her grow up into a hardened survivor and distant was heartbreaking, but the natural progression that has to take place in order to survive in that world. Clementine is love. Clementine is life. She's bringing purple back.

I impart to everyone my top twenty, in no particular order:

• Jack
    • Cloud Strife
    • Zack Fair
    • Vincent Valentine
    • Sephiroth
    • Cait Sith
    • Rude
    • Reno
    • Kefka Palazzo
    • Shadow
    • Umaro
    • Mog
    • Cecil Harvey
    • Kain Highwind
    • Exdeath
    • Beatrix
    • Vivi Ornitier
    • Auron
    • Crono
    • Varric Tethras
    Last edited by CZ11_Jakku; 12-30-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Adelbert Steiner (Final Fantasy IX):
    Steiner-ffix-field.png

In game use: Steiner is a physical attacker. He can also use sword magic if Vivi is also in your party, which is very useful, especially against some early bosses. During Trance, his attack power TRIPLES

steiner2.png

Why I like him: Steiner was originally one of my least favourite Final Fantasy IX characters. I thought he was a huge bummer for not letting the Princess explore. But now I've grown to appreciate his character that much more. He has a lot of development, learning that what the Queen says is not always what's right, and that he has to think and decide those things for himself. I also learned that his over protectiveness of the princess came from a place of love and concern. Also, he's goofy and it makes for some funny scenes

MOMO Mizrahi (Multiple Observative Mimetic Organicus) (Xenosaga series):
    char_56498.jpg

In game use: MOMO is a realian, or artificially created life. In all games she is a strong magic user and good healer. In the first game, she is extremely weak physically and attacks with rods. Where she really shines is in the next two games when they make her an archer and up her strength a good bit.

FROST+SHOCK.jpg

Why I like her: MOMO was always my favourite because of how sweet and caring she was. Her story is also pretty sad, but I won't spoil it. She starts out pretty alone until she makes some friends, and she's very grateful to everyone and will do whatever she can to help. You can also imagine how happy I was when they took my favourite character and made her an archer Although it was pretty unexplained for her to go from using a rod to an ether bow in like an hour between Episode I and II, I still liked it much more. By Episode III she is at her best, although has little relevance to the story at that point,having finished most of her loose ends in Episode II

Rorolina Frixell (Rorona) (Atelier Arland Series):
    1346656850035x46ov1kzlj_600x400.jpg

In game use: She is the main alchemist and protagonist in Atelier Rorona, the teacher of the main alchemist in Atelier Totori, and makes a return as an eight year old child in Atelier Meruru. She's physically weak, but being an alchemist means she's one of the few characters who can use and craft items

e2c2af01deafdefd1f096c83a74ab907_400.jpg

Why I like her: I've never played Atelier Rorona, and I didn't like the eight year old Rorona in Meruru. But I did very much enjoy her in Totori. She's a quirky flake of a woman, disappearing for months on end, finally being fished out of a river she fell in to, having weird teaching methods. It's always amusing seeing her with Totori because she's less serious than her student who is like 14 at the time. It's hard to not have some good laughs during a lot of her scenes, and she's certainly an individual. It's also funny hearing her student, who very much likes her, admit that she's not the best teacher. But as flaky as she is, she always means well

Eclair/Dark Eclair (La Pucelle Tactics):
    darkeclair.jpg

In game use: Having two personalities, Eclair has different stats depending. She's overall balanced as Eclair, while she has poor defense but great attack as Dark Eclair

Why I like her: I usually like split personality characters because I like seeing the contrast between two totally different people who are actually the same person. I do prefer Eclair to her darker half, because she's just a nice sweet girl who cares about others and wants to help out.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Alma Wade from F.E.A.R.

Those who follow my reviews, or just my posts in general, shouldn't be the least bit surprised to find this girl on my list. Alma Wade, and the entire F.E.A.R. franchise, is the reason I got back into reviewing games in the first place. Alma is a powerful psychic who was experimented on at a young age, betrayed by her father, and had her own children taken away from her at birth. That's enough to scar any woman. Combine her with a desire for revenge and she becomes the most dangerous thing you could ever meet. She fills a much needed criteria of more women villains in video games. Something I find to be in even shorter supply than the heroes, and I love everything about her. There's a reason she's my mascot on Social Media.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Never played F.E.A.R. Seems interesting

Next 4!

Electra De Sainte-Coquilles (Rune Factory Tides of Destiny):
    Electra_op.png

In game use: Electra works pretty much everywhere in town and is the mayor's daughter. She loves making accessories and is a potential romantic interest. Not sure how the Rune Factory universe works or if there's any relation to Sofia of the same last name

hqdefault.jpg

Why I like her: She actually wasn't one of the characters I had considered for a romantic interest, but I found her very endearing. She's sweet and kind and hard working. She has a lot of qualities I wish I had and that I aspire to. Although I do think her and her maid make the best couple

Melia Antiqua (Xenoblade Chronicles):
    Melia-231x300.png

In game use: Melia is a mage type character. She can use different "elements" and stack them on her weapons, which will do things like restore minor HP to party members or up their attack, and then she can unleash them on to the enemy to do some damage.

hqdefault.jpg

Why I like her: She is my preferred character to use in battle, but most of the reason I like her is because of the sidequests. She gets so gung ho to help people out, but she's incredibly awkward about it, and lacks some social skills. But she tries and she puts her heart in to it! Her story is very interesting and I admire her for standing so strong in light of what happens

Viola (Eternal Sonata):
    260px-Viola_Render.jpg

In game use: Viola is an archer, which automatically puts her ahead in my book. She also hits pretty hard compared to most video game archers and can also do some decent healing. The only bummer is trying to aim with her because I... I am not good at that

500px-Viola_Attacking_Trick_or_Treat_with_Arrows.jpg

Why I like her: Viola stands up for herself. She's confident without being arrogant, she fights for what she believes in, and she doesn't take crap from others. She's also just a nice, fun girl who seems like she'd be cool to hang out with. Also awesome archer is awesome. One of my favourite archer characters from any game.

Princess Daisy (Marioverse):
    Sunshine_daisy_.png

In game use: Like Yoshi, she can do anything from racing to golf. Whatever you need her for. My favourite is still Tennis

tumblr_inline_mz962i2zVg1qh3yij.jpg

Why I like her: In a land where the mild mannered Princess Peach getting kidnapped is like a weekly routine, Daisy provides some kick to the royals. She's just so spunky! I really liked using her, especially when I was younger and a lot of the girl options were "girly girl" and "girly girl"

Plus one for Melia. She and Sharla carried my team through the 2nd half of that game.

Hurray for Xenoblade characters in general~ But yeah. It took a minute for her to originally grow on me due to her uppity attitude, but that quickly wears off, and turns out it was just her being what she thought was proper, and when you get to see the real her, it's much better. And still the silvery accent. She's a little wonky to use in combat, but the computer knows how to use her pretty well. I need to up her healing because at the moment I'm at in the game, I need a dedicated healer, and Sharla is way more prepared for devastation. But I have grown to really like Mellia as a character. And she's really fun to have in battle when I'm not fighting for my life

So many more characters!

I was thinking about adding Minsc this time, but Vyk beat me to it. I guess I can move him into a different category for now and post him later.

And I liked Drace a lot too. I heard there was a battle with all the judges in the International version of the game, did she show up in that fight? I don't remember seeing her in battle anywhere else in the game, so it'd be kind of cool if she did.

Up next . . .

Vice (King of Fighters)

Another fairly hard pick, because SNK's KoF series has a roster of far too many characters I love waaaayy too much. Fortunately, due to its cross-over nature, I did manage to squeeze at least one contender for this spot into her original series, making the pick slightly easier.

So, what do I love about Vice? Well, I can tell you it has nothing to do with her visual design -- I don't like how she moves in the least, though her outfit I don't mind so much. In fact, I was so off-put by her design that I didn't even bother to seriously try her until drafting in KoF 2K2 UM kept dropping her into my lap. Turns out, Angela and Vice are a LOT alike, and I adore both characters for almost the same reasons. Both characters unexpectedly throw their enemies around a lot, and both have awesome methods of closing gaps -- though Vice's shoulder charge is a far cry from Angela's f+HP. But what Vice has that Angela lacks are followups, particularly in her airthrow which she can link from her shoulder charge and, in some games, one of her other command throws. It's a really nice one-two feeling that I love. On top of that, one of her super throws includes a leap that dodges (most) projectiles, which feels beyond great to land on someone after you land the one-two and dash away to bait a projectile.

Not really legit, but it shows off what she can do either way.
    (SPOILER)

(So much throwing! <3)

Firebrand / Red Arremer (Ghosts 'n' Goblins)

I love this guy, or these guys if you want to consider their whole race. In an already irritatingly tough game, these are what I've always found to be the toughest enemies. They move quickly, they dodge your shots, they eat multiple hits, and they'll chase you for miles. I always liked to imagine them as something like the T-800s of the G'n'G universe. Without a doubt they are one of the most exciting enemies to fight in the game (at least until you've mastered the titles to the point no enemies are noteworthy anymore).

But even though that alone is enough to put their race almost up to Arthur level for me, Capcom gave them the chin-up needed to completely beat him out with Firebrand, the little Red Arremer that could. Across three Demon's Quest titles you get to explore the demon world with him, growing stronger as you do, learning to fly longer, jump higher, hit harder, and make platforms on spike walls so you can climb them. You see and feel the improvement with each new or strengthened ability you get, and you reach new heights and locations together. Because of that I ended up with an attachment to Firebrand that I never had with Arthur; Firebrand was mah buddy, and that made him and his race my favorite in the lands of Ghosts 'n' Goblins.

It's just too bad Capcom didn't decided to continue the series.
    (SPOILER)

Lenneth (Valkyrie Profile)

Valkyrie Profile is very likely, unless we are counting Tales of Phantasia, my favorite game Tri-Ace has ever made. I love how the combat plays out, the stories of each soul you recruit, the puzzles, the skills and item customization trees, the time units for exploration, the bonuses hard mode opens for the player -- all of it.

And above everything else, I love Lenneth. In combat, she's always a great unit, able to use both swords and bows to your preference, with good combo potential using either. Personality wise, she's strong and confident, maybe seeming a bit cold at times, but her compassion for those she recruits is shown in the game, such as offering Llewelyn a final farewell.

But it's interesting to think that, despite all the sadness the player sees through her eyes, her own story may be the most tragic of all. Neither she nor the player has any indication she has ever been anything but Odin's loyal reaper, but assuming the player pays attention to little hints here and there through the game, her true story can be unlocked. The life she had as a human, tragic and lost, and a love still yearning for her even through her death -- a love she feels deep in her soul somewhere. Cracking that mask with her, piece by piece, and brushing it away for the game's true ending is such a great experience, and it makes Lenneth an easy pick for my favorite character in the series.

Oh, and Nibelung Valesti is all kinds of badass. >: D
    (SPOILER)

Onikage (Tenchu)

Easiest choice ever. I like Rikimaru, and in terms of actual character I feel like he is better developed, but that doesn't mean Riki is anywhere near as awesome as Onikage. This guy is a ninja in the service of the demon lord Mei-Oh and serves as one of the series' reoccurring antagonists, constantly messing with Rikimaru and Lord Ghoda throughout the series, usually bringing war along for the ride.

I don't really care about that though, I love him because he's hilarious -- and not intentionally so. I have had more silly things happen to me in the Tenchu series than I have encountered glitches in the Elder Scrolls games, and this guy is almost always at the heart of things. I have knocked this man off of a pagoda, only to have him run up the stairs behind me almost instantly afterwards, kick me over while I'm using my health potion, pick it up while I'm on the ground, then drink it himself. I've had him inform me that, 'I cannot beat him when he tries', then dash forward into a grenade I was throwing, knocking me backwards into guards I was running from, who in turn knocked me into caltrops I dropped while fleeing, where he dashkicked me, knocking me BACK into the guards and onto the caltrops AGAIN, where he summarily kicked me in the face and killed me. Glorious. I've also shot exploding arrows at people using him in multiplayer while they dash attacked me, missed, had it land underneath him, launching him through the air and over the building, all while he lets out the best scream EVER. And speaking of multiplayer, he has a special jumpkick in T3 that causes UNGODLY lag sometimes for NO reason. Like, you don't even have to hit people and it randomly causes lag. I've had matches where I just sit on top of buildings and try to fall on people in their crippled frame rate with the damn thing -- it's amazing. Of course, sometimes it doesn't cause lag and I just fall in front of people as well, but, eh, what can you do.

I'll tell you what you do: you go find ANOTHER building, then do your dashing attack off of the building and try to hit people with THAT instead -- SCREW lag. They'll hear that scream, they'll know you're coming for them, legs flailing like a madman, but they never expect from WHERE you're coming. It's like living that Winnie the Poo quote, you just yell, 'Halllooooo!' when you go over, and when they look up . . . you fall on them.

Or you fall on your ass next to them, it's all the same really. This character is always a blast to play as or against, and I absolutely adore him for all of the wrong reasons.

God, I even love his music.
    (SPOILER)

OoooOoooOoOOOOOOOOOOOO~~
    Last edited by Rez09; 12-31-2014 at 02:37 AM.

So I did DA, now for my other recently played games.

Magus - Chrono Trigger
    Kid - Chrono Cross

I loved them both so much. Magus had the best motivation and character arc of anyone in Trigger and Kid was just a whole lot of feisty fun who turned out to have a lot more to her than that.