Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Top Video Game Characters

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Melia's my controlled character too, but because I thought the computer was ass with her. But I went full DPS when I played and never worried about healing.

And Daisy's my favorite Princess too. I always use her in the Mario Party and Sports games and I use her colors in Smash Bros. And I can't remember what game it was, I think it was one of the Party games on the Gamecube, but in the intro cutscene she slaps the crap outta Bowser.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've thought about playing Valkyrie Profile, but I'm still undecided

Next 4!

Squall Leonhart (Final Fantasy VIII):
    200px-Ff8-squall.jpg

In game use: Squall is the main hero of the game. He fights using a gunblade, and has perfect accuracy. Most of his stats will depend on how you Junction him, but I believe he naturally has one of the higher defenses in game as well

ff8b-53.jpg

Why I like him: Yes, Squall is on this list. Not even ashamed. I think he's the best written FF protagonist, and the one I could identify with most. Sure, he acts like a cold jerkass, but I loved seeing the difference between his inner thoughts and the attitude he put out for everyone to see, because they were very different. I like that we got an insight in to his mind, his thoughts, and it helped me realize he was more like a child putting on a tough front rather than an emo jerk. He's scared of losing the people close to him, which is understandable when you think of his past, and so he tries to keep people at a distance, but he always cares underneath it all. I also really loved the love story with him and Rinoa

Ling Xiaoyu (Tekken 3 onward):
    hqdefault.jpg

In game use: Again, I'm really not a fighting game expert, but she's a fast character. That's what I know about her. Very quick

Why I like her: Probably my favourite Tekken character to use (although that spot is on its way to being taken over by Lili) because she's very quick, and I'm actually good at remembering her moves. I know! I'm awful at combos and stuff in fighting games, but I actually managed to memorize a few with her. I still can't use her to her full potential, but I'm pretty good and I think she's fun to play

Mistral (Mayumi Kurokawa) (.hack series):
    250px-Mistral.jpg

In game use: Mistral plays a Wavemaster job, which is basically a mage like character. Although physically very weak, she can unleash some incredibly powerful spells

Why I like her: Despite her liberal use of smilies, Mistral is just... awesome. Seriously, play the game. Not only is she useful in battle, but she's bubbly and cheery and just so much fun to have around. Her irl character is a maried woman who enjoys cooking, does some type of admin work, and eventually leaves the game for a while because she has a baby. AWWW. She's just bright and happy and cheery and sweet but she manages to do all of it without it being annoying

Sayane (Record of Agarest War Zero):
    500px-Profile_Sayane.jpg

In game use: Another mage like character, and also a potential romantic interest for your first generation hero.

med_screenlg10.jpg

Why I like her: I was actually worried about not liking her, because she came off as Miss Perfect at first. She's obviously quite pretty, smart and funny and sweet and her only fault being she is so bad at directions that she can't tell left from right. But actually in game she just came across like a really nice lady. She's a bit mischievous, but she also does a good job at being Team Mom and caring for others

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yuna from Final Fantasy X

pfft, don't even act surprise, you knew this was coming. You didn't? I'll try to confess my Yuna love harder in the future.

Yuna is a character I have more in common with than any other character I've come across in video games. We're both rather quiet (I know it's hard to imagine, but in real life I am), had to learn to stick up for ourselves, was brought up in a religion we never really questioned, stubborn, conservative, etc. I love her kindness and how self-sacrificing she is. I love the way she grows up and becomes independent in X-2. I just love everything about her. Yuna is my soulmate. Move over, Tidus.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

This is in no particular order, but here's the first.

Samus Aran

Metroid Game Series.
    Favorite Appearance to date. Super Metroid (no surprise)

This is the "real" Samus to me. None of this 5'1" crap or whatever she's supposed to be now. She's a no nonsense 6'3" 200lb cybernetically enhanced bruiser, but she's smart and she has morals. I actually didn't mind the approach they took towards her personality in the prequels. She hardened up over the years full of tough jobs in remote settings working alone.
    Last edited by sharkythesharkdogg; 12-31-2014 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Viewable picture size.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yuna is pretty awesomesauce! I have never played a Metroid game, all I know is she gets progressively girlier looking as time goes on

Mimi Houllier von Schwarzlang (Atelier Totori/Atelier Meruru):
    967e458abf09a876eeadc5033a75a5df.jpg

In game use: Mimi was actually a pretty decent character to use. She wasn't the toughest, but she was quick and still packed a decent punch. She uses spears in battle

atelier-meruru-plus-the-apprentice-of-arland-20133493847_28.jpg

Why I like her: While I didn't dislike her in Totori, she really shines for me in Meruru. I like seeing how far she's come since Totori, while still being herself. It's obvious she's making an effort to be a better, more grown up person, and it shows. Her relationship with Totori is probably my favourite in game because they both know and respect who the other is. Totori doesn't pressure her to open up more or faster, she just lets Mimi be her friend in Mimi's way, and vice versa. And I really liked that

Leia Rolando (Tales of Xillia, Tales of Xillia 2):
    LeiaRolando200_8624.jpg

In game use: Leia can do all kinds of stuff in battle. She can heal and buff and attack. She uses staves in battle. She was my favourite to use because she's quick and easy to get the hang of

eHN2dTU5MTI=_o_tales-of-xilia-2---gameplay---ps3.jpg

Why I like her: I thought I wouldn't at first because I have a low tolerance for high energy. It just exhausts me. And Leia is introduced as VERY high energy. But as I got to know her and see who she really was, we see that she acts that way because she's insecure on the inside, something I can understand all too well. But she's incredibly sweet and caring, even sticking by Elize when Elize has her moments of mean. There's still some stuff she does or has done to bug me, but she always means well and she has a big heart. And she's goofy and fun

Olivia (Fire Emblem:Awakening):
    char_90052.jpg

In game use: Olivia starts out as a Dancer, which is mostly a support role. She's not a great attacker and her defense is pretty lacking, but she can do stuff like give a unit a second turn in battle.

olivia1601.png

Why I like her: Olivia is a sweetheart, although ridiculously shy. But she has a good heart. She also has some of the funnier support scenes, like mistaking Kellam for a tree

Margeurite Fatima (Margie) (Xenogears):
    xenogears_margie_2199.jpg

In game use: She supports you in battle that one time. I think its just that once. Other than that is an NPC

Why I like her: Oh look, a Xenogears character I actually care about! It's a shame she isn't playable. But I like her because she's a kind woman, and always has everyone else in mind, even when she's in a bad situation. I also enjoy how she interacts with others. The character felt very real and likeable to me

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post

Samus Aran

Metroid Game Series.

This is the "real" Samus to me. None of this 5'1" crap or whatever she's supposed to be now. She's a no nonsense 6'3" 200lb cybernetically enhanced bruiser, but she's smart and she has morals. I actually didn't mind the approach they took towards her personality in the prequels. She hardened up over the years full of tough jobs in remote settings working alone.
    They made her 5'1? The poor woman is shorter than my mother.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post

Samus Aran

Metroid Game Series.

They made her 5'1? The poor woman is shorter than my mother.
    According to this, they did. /shrug

I guess that's why she needs 6 inch heels in her zero suit now.

Ya know Pumpkin, what you said you liked about Margie, it also completely fits Elly too. The two ladies have very similar personalities, even if Elly's role in the story is far greater.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just didn't like Elly very much. I guess she didn't imprint on me as well or something :/

Elly is very ... conflicted in the first branch of the game. A very long branch. But she gets much better as she comes to terms with things about herself and her world. Her problem is that she thought she had it all figured out and turned out she was completely wrong about everything and had no idea how to deal with it, so she kinda spazzed. It made her bipolar for a long while. And then she relaxed and came to terms with how messed up things are and what she needs to do to fix it. The only problem I have with her is that once she sets her sights on righting all the wrongs, she immediately simply becomes Fei's tag-along and love interest and nothing more. I kinda wish she was able to keep her spunk and independence, but I can understand why they changed her. And as much crap as I give the Japanese for their stories and tropes and treatment of women in games, I'm glad her and the rest of the cast were handled as well as they were for as long as they were. And she wasn't forgotten in the last leg of the game, her role just changed. But if you didn't make it that far, I could understand how she would grate on your nerves or something. Especially during her bipolar phases

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

She didn't grate on me. I've read the whole script. The thing about Xenogears is that I really don't care about any of the playable characters. I don't even care enough to hate any of them. I love love love the story, but as you'll see when I do my top games list, it is nowhere near as high as some games with far worse stories because characters, for whatever reason, are most important to me in most games. Xenogears didn't manage to write any characters that I actually like which automatically makes me less invested in the game

Its sad, because I think a lot of them are well written, but I dunno. Just didn't do it for me I guess

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Let us celebrate with more characters!

Selphie Tilmitt (Final Fantasy VIII):
    selphie_tilmitt.jpg

In game use: Most of it depends on how you junction her, but she fights with nunchaku and her limit break kind of jumbles some stuff around and long story short, she can use The End, which basically ends any boss fight ever

FF8-Selphie-Do-Over-2.png

Why I like her: I like her for the same reason I like Zell. She's fun, she's boisterous, she's spunky. She... has a weird violent side? She loves trains, so she also has something in common with my 4 year old child. And that's always a plus for a parent. She just makes everything more fun!

Claves (Eternal Sonata):
    claves.jpg

In game use: Claves fights with a rapier and is one of the healing characters. She starts out as a rather subpar character. (SPOILER)She really starts to shine after you get her back later in the game (if you do) and becomes a really good character and talented healer

eternalsonatascreen.jpg

Why I like her: I'll be honest, a large part of it is her character design, which I adore for some reason. Besides that, she's overall a really sweet lady and her love story is pretty engaging, although tragic. (SPOILER)What I don't like is her being a walking spoiler and also how she's optional late game

Yayoi (Record of Agarest War):
    500px-CG_Yayoi.jpg

In game use: Yayoi is kind of like a Black Mage character in Final Fantasy terms, although you can customize her to heal. She has great magic stats, and is one of the potential romantic interests in generation 2.

hqdefault.jpg

Why I like her: Well for one thing, she was gracious enough to take all of the clothing missing from the other potential brides and add it to her pants. Mostly she's just a really nice and sweet girl and has the added bonus of being an awesome magic user. She also touches on things we don't often get to see in games like homesickness and a sisterly friendship with her romantic rival

Quina Quen (Final Fantasy IX):
    QuinaCesped.jpg

In game use: Quina is a blue mage. S/he learns abilities by eating enemies who are low on health. When in Trance, Quina can cook the enemy, meaning they won't need to be quite as weak before Quina can eat them. S/he fights with forks

male-ff9.png

Why I like him/her: Such a pretty sight after miss Yayoi! Now I don't care what anyone thinks, Quina is my second favourite FFIX character. S/he is so positive, so upbeat. S/he even gives support to his/her companions when they need it in his/her own way. S/he gets so excited and happy that I can't help but get excited an happy! Also, food is awesome and Quina knows it. Quina doesn't care what you think

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yes! Selphie and Quina are awesome. They should team up.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Having just finished reading G-senjou no Maou, I am naturally awestruck and cannot help but present one particular character. It seems characters with the name Kyousuke have a flair for being amazing.

Azai Kyousuke (G-senjou no Maou)

I love how quickly G-senjou throws all ambiguity regarding this guy out the window. The best anti-hero I've seen in quite a while.

Why I like him

It's going to be hell trying to describe Kyousuke without spoiling like half of G-senjou's plot, but I'll try as good as I can. Kyousuke is the adopted son of yakuza boss Azai Gonzou, who is to be blamed for Kyousuke's current situation. He helps with his father's work, but not because he likes being a yakuza; because he wants to pay off his debt. The reason he became Gonzou's adopted son is because his father left with a huge debt, and Gonzou's loan sharks would show no mercy, and so Kyousuke starts working for him so that at the very least his mother can continue living. It goes without saying that Kyousuke cares little for his foster father and would probably kill him if he could.

But that's just one side of Kyousuke. On the public side of things, he's just a normal high school student, albeit the brother of a highly successful ice skating prodigy.

Enter Usami Haru. A rather strange girl who transferred to Kyousuke's school with the apparent goal of catching a person called 'Maou'. Shortly thereafter, Gonzou also tells Kyousuke to catch this person, because they cause trouble for the Azai Corporation. And this is where the plot really does throw out all ambiguity regarding the connection between Kyousuke and Maou, for you see Kyousuke is a "frightfully forgetful" person, suffering from "headaches which cause temporary memory loss on recent events". Seeing the plot unfold with a perspective switching between the Kyousuke who knows nothing and the Maou who is the mastermind behind all the events makes for a very engaging plot.

Kyousuke is a character with quite variable character development depending on which story route you go through which is always great. Sometimes he turns into the most sadistic monster imaginable, other times he becomes a most loveable Paulus-type character. There are several more reasons why I love him, but discussing those would be inevitable spoilers. I already spoiled too much, although it's mostly from the first 2-3 hours of gameplay.

I shall leave you with this image of our most beloved Maou.

2015, you better live up to the expectations I now have of you.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Lily (Rune Factory Tides of Destiny):
    chara03.jpg

In game use: Lily runs the Inn with her two sisters. She also sings songs and plays the lute. At least I think its a lute? She's clumsy and she's a terrible cook. She like fruit parfait, fruit almost anything, but not baked apples!

rfoceans30.jpg

Why I like her: Lily is the eldest of the three sisters on Fenith Island. And that's what she feels like. A big sister. I've never really had a video game character make me think 'I wish I had a big sister like her". She's sweet, she's caring, she can't cook but she sure does try, and she loves her sisters so much. They get along so well its ridiculous.

Anna Williams (Tekken 1 onwards):
    anna_williams__ttt__by_marywilliamskazama-d7tq1c6.jpg

In game use: Anna basically started out as a different looking Nina, but as the games have progressed, she's developed her own moves. I find her generally easier to use than Nina, but that's probably a personal preference

movies-anna-williams-tekken-blood-vengeance-fresh-hd-wallpaper-400x250.jpg

Why I like her: Hey remember when Anna had black hair?! Really the reason I like her is because when Tekken started, there were limited female characters and Anna was pretty. So I kept using her and now I'm just used to using her. She's a terrible sister though. I think its funny she's following Lily. Also, she's had some gosh awful outfits (that octopus thing?) but overall I enjoy her style and I also enjoy her confidence in herself

Squirtle (Pokemon):
    250px-007Squirtle.png

In game use: Squirtle is a water-type Pokemon, and also one of the three starters available to you in the first Pokemon game. He is a turtle and evolves in to Wartortle and Blastoise

tumblr_mz1wc0pQqo1tp9ck7o1_500.gif

Why I like him: Yes, I'm counting Squirtle as a character. Deal with it. I like Squirtle because he is a cool water pokemon who is also adorable and badass. And because you get him so early, there's plenty of bonding time!

Jade Curtiss (Tales of the Abyss):
    51719465a0191a03d4ae99ea2988af5a-jade-tales-of-the-abyss.jpg

In game use: Jade is basically a powerful Black Mage who uses Spears. But he isn't as weak as more spellcasters. He starts out overpowered but because no game will just give you that, he gets downgraded a few notches. He's still one of the more useful party members, though

24cwfft.jpg

Why I like him: I wasn't expecting to like him at all. He's snarky and conceited and a sociopath. No seriously, he is actually a sociopath. Which is where his character started to get interesting. Instead of just making him Mr. All Powerful Cool Guy, they actually made a DEEPLY flawed character and they wrote him very well. His story is one of the more interesting in the game, and I think the character was really well fleshed out