View Poll Results: Do you enjoy spoilers?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do

1 10.00%
  • I don't care about them

4 40.00%
  • Spoilers? Smurf you hard!

5 50.00%

Thread: Spoilers

Default Spoilers

Do you hate spoilers? Do you feel indiferent about them? Do you actually enjoy them?

Most of the time, people either cry about being spoilered or stay silent when they don't really care. Rarely you see people enjoying the spoilers.

As for me, it depends about what the spoiler is about. If it is about a movie, I am kind of pissed because hey it's only a matter of two hours average and I just can't built up any anticipation for it. But when it comes to books/serials/animes etc. I actually enjoy being spoilered just a little bit because I actually really look forward to what's supposed to happen and then when it comes to it, I am thrilled about it (if it's not overhyped tho!).

So how do you feel about them?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't care that much. Some things I'll go out of my way to keep spoiler free and some I'll go out of my way to spoil. Just depends

Blog Entries

I hate spoilers. I like forming my own ideas about whats going to happen in a movie and I love when what I think will happen is wrong (in a way that makes sense). And anyone who says "studies have shown people enjoy things more with spoilers" is full of bulltrout. You can experience something knowing what will happen as many times as you want and find all the nuances and foreshadows. You only get to expeirence something with fresh eyes once.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I hate being spoiled involuntarily.

I don't mind spoilers in the appropriate context, like a discussion thread about a show/game/movie/whatever. Sure, it's nice to be able to read spoiler-free discussions and reviews of things, but I don't think that's a realistic expectation for dedicated discussion threads and the like. What does annoy me, however, is when someone does spoil stuff in a public context where people have little control over what they do and do not read - Facebook, Twitter, IRC, discussion threads about unrelated things, or what have you. That goes for vaguespoilers too, like "OMG [character name] ;____;". Not mentioning specifics doesn't mean I won't be watching that character like a hawk and be less impacted by the event in question, and probably missing other plot subtleties in the process.

It's not that I consider it an unalienable right not to be spoiled or anything. I don't even expect not to be spoiled, being an on-demand consumer who often watches/plays things long after they're aired/released. I just think of it as a matter of etiquette that takes very little forethought and effort to follow, and I usually find it a bit thoughtless or even rude to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    hate spoilers. I like forming my own ideas about whats going to happen in a movie and I love when what I think will happen is wrong (in a way that makes sense). And anyone who says "studies have shown people enjoy things more with spoilers" is full of bulltrout. You can experience something knowing what will happen as many times as you want and find all the nuances and foreshadows. You only get to expeirence something with fresh eyes once.
    So? I rather get spoilered to know if a no-go happens before wasting my time finding out. I can do somehing else with my time instead.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rantz View Post
    "OMG [character name] ;____;"
    GoT, season 3The term Red Wedding was not subtle. I hated everyone who was all "OMG the Red Wedding is finally happening". Calling it the Red Wedding made it pretty obvious there was going to be a masacre.

So? I rather get spoilered to know if a no-go happens before wasting my time finding out. I can do somehing else with my time instead.
    If that's what works for you then so be it but I enjoy that moment when something I've never seen before alters my way of thinking and changes my opinion on a subject matter. If you find out what happens before hand then you dont learn as much and you spend the entire time observing how their media leads to the conclusion instead of the why the media is. And if I judged everything off the bat from it's summary/ending I wouldnt have bothered with a lot of my favourite movies/books which actually gave me something to think about.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!