Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Actors who just "play themselves"

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Smash Actors who just "play themselves"

In the past few days, it's been mentioned a couple of times about actors who just "play themselves" in movies. No matter what character they are, they just do a variation of the same role.

Do you see this, too? Which actors? Does it bother you?

I've noticed this w/ a lot of big name stars. Robert Downey Jr. & Johnny Depp have been mentioned elsewhere. I also find Jack Nicholson doing this as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Jessica Lange, for sure. Don't get me wrong: I mostly love (not crazy about her this season of AHS) but yeah.

At first I thought this thread was going to be about actors who play fictionalized versions of themselves. James van der Beek playing a fictionalized version of himself in Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 is like the greatest thing ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

I actually love most of actors that actually don't have to "act" since it actually feels like they are being themselves. Why should I feel better about people that have to pretend being someone else, when I can have people act like they would if they actually were the character?

To me it's like they are basically living the role instead of being a fictional character having some real face put together with it.

Russel Crowe, the man who's accent changes every five minutes and turns every movie into "Russel Crowe; The Movie".

Not so sure about Johnny Depp. He's had some varied roles. Will Smith and Chris Rock get this a lot though. Same with that other black guy who reminds me of Chris Rock... sad that I can't think of his name. Arnold Schwarzenegger usually plays the same character, it may not be Arnold he's playing as, but it's the same character he's playing as. Jingle All The Way is just Conan who's submitted to corporate materialism

I'm kinda with Ergro in this. It really doesn't bother me if it works. Its not a tragedy, and if the script calls for that particular type of character, then why not have someone well versed in it play that character. At least it's not like the people who get type-casted. Like, they can play lots of varied roles, and play them well, and want to play other characters, but are never given the opportunity. I don't feel this is what happens to people like Chris Rock. Will Smith has at least tried to branch out. But it's more a case of him growing as a person, so the characters he plays have changed a bit, but I think he's still trying to play himself. Or at least an idealized version of himself. Also I like every character Justin Long plays as. And probably the same with Keanu Reeves. But yeah, I'm just rambling the same point. I see it happening, but I don't mind it. Actors get to play make-believe. How awesome is it to not have to play someone else as the hero. You get to play yourself as the hero. Hell yeah

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Johnny Depp
    I think people are getting confused between "actors who always play themselves" and "actors they're so used to seeing that they can't see past who it is." I had the latter problem when watching Saving Mr. Banks--all I saw was Tom Hanks with a mustache. The variety of characters Johnny Depp plays is pretty huge. Usually they're weird, but the variety is wide.

For Robert Downey Jr. I think it's less that he plays himself and more that he's become more like Tony Stark. In fact, I've heard him say that.

It was hard to believe he was the black guy in Tropic Thunder back in the day. Now it's still hard to believe, but for a totally different reason. But yeah

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Arnold Schwarzenegger

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It depends on the person. I feel like Bill Murray just plays himself, but he is a hero, so I don't mind.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Russell Brand has this down pat. Or maybe it's because he has such a vibrant personality that it shows in every role. He poked fun at this idea in his 2013 comedy special.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Michael Cera.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Alright, I have another one. Johnny Depp plays a mentally unstable jewel thief named Dee P. Ouver that gets busted by the authorities. For example, the movie trailer will show a scene where he is hanging upside down Mission Impossible style, looking for the next big score. Something goes wrong with his cable and he ends up falling directly onto his testicles. One of the cops that busts him says with a smug smirk on his face, "Should have been paying more attention to the jewels you already got, homeboy!"

It looks like Ouver is going to jail for life...but *record scratch* a bigger jewel thief, which also happens to be Ouver's rival, has been spotted! He is close enough for the authorities to track him, but too far away to bust him through conventional means. Looks like Dee P. Ouver has to go into...Deep Cover. He refuses--jail for life. He fails to bust his rival--jail for life.

Ouver must completely disguise himself in order to not be detected by his rival (which is played by Sacha Baron Cohen by the way). Normally, Ouver is a manly, man. The trailer also shows Ouver scowling, drinking beer, and driving a Ford F-150 to signify that fact. However, his testicular troubles has caused Ouver's voice to be unusually high! So a fun and wacky unit that includes a token gay man, a frumpy but firm woman, an offensive racial stereotype, and a prissy British woman apply makeup, give him a FABULOUS outfit, and partake in acting lessons!

No longer is Ouver a grizzled man that chews glass for bubble gum, but a quirky fellow that sways a lot, used many hand gestures, and generally looks like a flamboyant drunk person!

But the trailer shows a part that you know is near the end of the movie when--UH OH--Ouver's voice starts to revert back to normal! You can see the wheels turning in the rivals face as he puts it all together!

Coming this summer...Go in Deep Cover with Johnny Depp!

Cut me a f***ing check, Hollywood.

Sounds like your classical B comedy/action mix movie.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Coming this summer...Go in Deep Cover with Johnny Depp!

Cut me a f***ing check, Hollywood.
    Go in Depp Cover.

I want 5%

Quote Originally Posted by Lockharted View Post
    Michael Cera.
    This too, and even though I kinda liked Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World, the only thing separating him from all his other characters was that he was also a raging hipster.