Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What gaming visuals blew you away at the time of their release?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I remember being blown away by FFVIII's graphics coming out of VII when I was little. I second MGS2. They were smart waiting to put the sequel on next gen, it paid off a lot.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The first game I can immediately think of is Donkey Kong Country. I'd never really seen anything like that in a game, and I still think it looks pretty snazzy today.

Final Fantasy VIII was probably the biggest wow moment for me. Sure, the characters in game didn't look so great, but that opening cinematic was something else. I also quite liked the background visuals throughout the game.

X-2 was another. I mean, I remember getting excited for X as well, but it didn't have quite the same effect as VIII did. X-2 started out like X for me in that the cinematic that was included with Unlimited SaGa really blew me away. However, the in game stuff really got an improvement in my mind. Characters (particularly Rikku) actually showed emotion on their face even outside of the snazzy cutscenes.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Oh, forgot to say earlier, but the final cutscene in Lightning Returns had me legitimately unsure for a moment if it were just real life video footage or not. It became obvious a bit later but damn, that was jawdroppingly good.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Oblivion - at Camoran's Paradise
    Skyrim - at Sovngarde