Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Square Enix to reveal a new console RPG in December that “Isn’t a Remake”

Default Square Enix to reveal a new console RPG in December that “Isn’t a Remake”

The following comes from SE president Yosuke Matsuda in an interview with Famitsu.

"Actually, right now, we are readying a new role-playing game for home consoles that isn't a remake," Matsuda is quoted as saying. "In December, we'll start with making an announcement."
    Here's the full interview for those interested.

Famitsu: Looking at your company's recent lineup, I get the impression that there's been a lot of Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy related remakes or smartphone version rereleases, but Square Enix still has a lot of other IPs doesn't it? I'm always wishing you'd revisit such IPs.

Matsuda: That's... Currently in the works.

F: What!? Really!? Would that be centered on smartphone apps, too?

M: No, I'm looking for players to be able to sit down and really get into playing.

F: So... Something for home/commercial consoles?

M: Yes.

F: Wow! So, what title is it!?

M: I'm afraid you'll have to wait a little bit for that (laughs).

F: Just a little hint.

M: ... It's an RPG.

F: Square Enix is famous for many of their past RPG classics. Including those that have been buried/not been revisited. So, you're looking at such a title not for smartphones or browsers?

F: I don't want to be pesky but... This would be for home/commercial consoles?

M: That's right (laughs).

F: Not a remake?

M: All new.

F: Wow... That's wonderful. Sorry for the barrage of questions, I got a little overworked (laughs). When will you be announcing [this game]?

M: We'll be making consecutive announcements starting in December.

F: Starting in December!? Consecutive!? So, you're saying you have more than one title to announce?

F: That's very exciting!

M: I'd like to avoid any confusion, but of the titles we're planning to announce, there will be ones for smartphones and PCs, not just home/commercial consoles that include stationary game consoles and portable game consoles. We'll also be announcing titles from our overseas studios as well.

F: I see. So, at least the title you're planning to announce in December is an RPG for home/commercial consoles, is that correct?

M: Yes. At present, I can't specify the hardware platform, if it's for stationary game consoles or for portable ones. We'll be able to announce many types of titles after we enter 2015 as well.

F: It looks like you've got a lot of ammo. Have you really been preparing that much?

M: The projects that started after I became president [of Square Enix] and the projects that were re-examined and restarted have finally begun to solidify, so we'll start making a bunch of announcements both domestically and abroad soon.
    Thoughts?

Kotaku

It's really weird to hear a regular console called "stationary". But I guess in a world living on the go who adore handheld, it's the lesser "stationary" consoles who get the moniker. I wonder if they even quantify handhelds with the term or if they just call those consoles lol

Anyway, this is good news. It's probably going to be one of those situations where I buy it, whatever it is, no matter its quality of production or inspiration or creativity, just to speak with my money that I approve of them taking these risks. I do this a lot with Atlus and XSEED releases as well. Really wish I could get more into NIS and stuff too. They deserve some of my money for the same reason, but I rarely enjoy their games x_x

Articles
    Blog Entries

Level 5 are also announcing a new RPG next month and Horii has said the new Dragon Quest will be a more heavy title than past games. I'm personally hoping the stars are aligning and we'll be getting DQXI on PS4. The talk of re-started projects also makes me think of the rumors surrounding Ito's next game.

I'm not getting my hopes too high though, as someone else said, Square has been like an evil genie as of late - you think they're granting your wish but it ends up being something completely unexpected and disappointing.

I'm just happy it's a console RPG and not a phone or rythm game (I guess it could be an RPG Rythm), so I'm looking forward to the announcement.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Yeah, it seems like nowadays SE puts more cleverness and effort into their announcement of announcements than their actual games.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Level 5 are also announcing a new RPG next month and Horii has said the new Dragon Quest will be a more heavy title than past games. I'm personally hoping the stars are aligning and we'll be getting DQXI on PS4.
    But I can't afford a PS4. Can we add it to the PC too?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Honestly, if it comes to the West at all, then I wouldn't be surprised to see it come to PC. Alot of Japanese developers seem to have a good foundation for that going forward, especially Square Enix.

Every time Valkyria Chronicles sells another copy on Steam my hopes rise a little more, yes. How many more JRPGs need to be released there to results that "surprise" the publisher before they realize that actually, Steam players love that stuff, too?

Yeah, I was ridiculously surprised Valkyria was on Steam. I own it on PS3, but I am super tempted to buy it on Steam just to drive the point that we appreicate that stuff

Articles
    Blog Entries

If it ever led to more Valkyria, I would double dip too.

Shining Blade :3

If it led to that as well, I would join you. Gimme an international release of Shining Blade HD on PC or some garbage. And I would pay so much

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Every time Valkyria Chronicles sells another copy on Steam my hopes rise a little more, yes. How many more JRPGs need to be released there to results that "surprise" the publisher before they realize that actually, Steam players love that stuff, too?
    Oh gosh Valkyria chronicles was an amazing game! The sequel was great too! Unfortunately the third didn't get a Western release Anyway, the more great rpgs like VC's, the better!

There's a translation patch for VC3. Though its nearly impossible to get working, and even when you do, its not perfect, some of the text doesn't fit in the boxes provided, which is annoying, but it's at least playable. But the fact that it extremely difficult to use the patch at all doesn't help. Though some nice souls have put the patched version online, though I've never seen it on torrent sites. It is possible to dig it up with a little googling and malicious website awareness. I personally would avoid the nicob blog site

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Back on topic...

It will be interesting to see what SE is brewing in secret but then again they are the master's of hyping mediocre announcements. Here's hoping it's something interesting.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Shining Blade :3

If it led to that as well, I would join you. Gimme an international release of Shining Blade HD on PC or some garbage. And I would pay so much
    I had no idea this was a thing and now I wish I didn't, knowing I'll never play it. What does it say about the gaming tastes of the West that they won't even release stuff like this here?

As for the Square Enix game, we might not have to wait long to find out what it is - as in, we might know in the next couple days!

Asia PlayStation Awards - 12/3
    The Game Awards - 12/5
    PlayStation Experience - 12/6
    PlayStation China conference - 12/11

I'm excited!