Thread: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors

Default 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors

Just finished this game. I think it took quite a bit longer than 9 hours. I'd say more around 12 :3 but I tend to draw out games I like anyway. I get the impression this game kind of kicked off it's own genre off-shoot of some sort. They called it "escape the room" games, somewhere

I know it's not completely original in that regard. But as far as visual novel puzzle mixes go, this was really good. Anyone that hasn't played it probably could compare it to Pheonix Wright games (though I only played the first one), and from what I gather, Professor Layton is probably fairly similar. Though this is a lot darker in tone

And outside of the aforementioned Phoenix Wright, I think this was my first actual visual novel experience outside of a botched attempt at a the fanslation of Radical Dreams way back when SNES emulation was first becoming a thing

Have to say, I was quite surprised and enamored with this game. The characters were all pretty well fleshed out and portrayed, the art style was nice, the puzzles seemed in-and-around the "just right" area where they weren't completely obvious, and the harder ones only stumped me for a little while. I didn't feel overly coddled or challenged, though some were plainly obvious, but in the context it generally seemed more like the person orchestrating the thing just wanted us to have answers more easily, rather than simply just being handed to us

Anyway, anyone else have any fond memories of games of this ilk? I can't wait to play Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward, though it looks quite different in style, I get the impression its the same premise at least, though it sounds a tad deeper, something about choices in the future affecting the past, and having a ally/betrayal mechanic involved. Should be interesting. And I think teams from the same studio helped make the Dangan Ranpa games, which I'd be interested in trying as well. But I know even less about them. I just always got the impression they were worth it, even if I was going in blind. And after playing this game, I have even more faith in that

Just got a VitaTV as well, so lots of options are available to me

Also considering going back and picking up things like Ghost Trick (which is really highly rated as well) and other random things like Avalon Code and whatnot

Anyway, anyone into darker handheld visual novels?

Blog Entries

Just to be sure before posting spoilers, you got to the section beyond "to be continued" right? To the actual ending? I know if I didnt google it I wouldve thought "to be continued" was the end of the game.
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 11-29-2014 at 12:50 PM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Eh, it wasn't really for me. Going into it, I didn't realize that it was basically a novel. There wasn't enough freedom or time to just move around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

My ending I think said The End... Or Is It? So I knew I did not get the real ending. And have yet to do so. But more than just about this game. It just opened my eyes that there is a certain subsection of casual games in the realm of point and click adventure and visual novels that just works on handheld. I played most of this game on lunch breaks lol something I didn't really think I'd ever do

So are visual novels just in general not for you? I'd always been interested since corpse party practically was one and I loved that game. Just had to find the right ones for me

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Eh, it wasn't really for me. Going into it, I didn't realize that it was basically a novel. There wasn't enough freedom or time to just move around.
    Ah well, that's a shame. xD If only I had warned you sooner!

I thoroughly enjoyed 999 and played through to get all the endings, which was great. Virtue's Last Reward is pretty much more of the same, so if you enjoyed 999, VLR will be right up your alley. I think that I'd get burnt out on these games pretty quick if I played them all the time, but I don't find them all that common, sadly. :{

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

999 is my fave ds game
    Also best soundtrack

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

999 is great, and yes I love this subgenre. You should play the sequel, Virtue's Last Reward. I think it's better than the original.

Definitely keep playing 999 until you get to the 'true' ending. It throws a lot of twists at you that you won't see coming.

Ghost Trick was fun too. Gameplay-wise there was more to it than 999 but I thought the story for 999 was better.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

I read fast, and the slow text speed in 999 and inability to fast forward dialogue drove me insane. I still got the true ending. It's a good game.

There's a version of 999 for iOS where they removed all of the gameplay and puzzle solving and you read it like a novel. Anyone considering getting the game, don't get that version. Get the DS version.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah the text speed is the one annoyance. You can make it go faster in the sequel.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

you can also speed it up in successive playthrus when trying to get the real ending
    the parts you've already done can be sped up