Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Pike Plays Literally Every Game on Her Steam List (Current Game: Blood Bowl)

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo

Beyond Good and Evil
    Action/Adventure
    Steam Link

This is a game that I unfortunately was not able to put much time into because it was chock full of distracting graphical glitches which I'm assuming are due to running an older game on my system or something. I say unfortunately because what little I played of the game was a load of fun.

BGE 2015-01-02 15-08-30-45.jpg

Pretty much right away you're flung right into the action and an interesting world and story that has you really curious to learn more about it.

BGE 2015-01-02 15-10-45-54.jpg

KILL IT, KILL IT

BGE 2015-01-02 15-11-07-89.jpg

AUUUUUGGGHHH

Anyways, this game has a sci-fi setting but it certainly feels different from other sci-fi games, which is another neat feature of the game. It's hard to pinpoint exactly why, but maybe it's the personality of the characters (such as a dashing holographic Spaniard.)

BGE 2015-01-02 15-20-28-24.jpg

Now it turns out that you are broke and can't pay the power company, so you get a camera and can go around taking pictures of the native wildlife on your planet. You can then upload these to the museum and get money.

BGE 2015-01-02 15-17-56-93.jpg

I really wish I could do that in real life!

I stopped playing not long after that because the graphical glitches were intensifying and they were getting really irritating. I was sad to have to stop because I would have gladly played more - the world was quite interesting and engaging. Maybe I can mess with the settings later and see if I can fix it.

THE VERDICT:

• Neato world
    • Fun
    • Controls and camera are slightly awkward
    • Great music
    • Story is shaping up to be interesting
    • Doesn't play nicely with my computer

Oh man one of my favorite games ever. I'm so sad they never brought the HD version to the PC. I've looked into it and all the elitist fans are like "Why? It supports HD resolution already". But game mechanics have changed. And obviously the game just doesn't run very well on newer systems. Glad to know that before I bought it off of GOG. But the main reason I didn't buy it sooner is it doesn't have native controller support. Which I'm sure would come with the HD version. Augh. I'm sorry it didn't work well for you. It truly is a fantastic game. I need to add it to the thread Wolf made about thought provoking games. And Beyond Good and Evil is definitely one of those stellar experiences for me. I was so mesmerized by that game and absolutely enjoyed it from beginning to end. Highly suggest anyone curious about it gets it on PSN and XBLA if they can

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dancing Chocobo

The Binding of Isaac
    Action/"Rogue-Like"/Zelda-Like, to be honest
    Steam Link

Like many of the other games on this list, this is one that I've put a lot of time into in the past. It's a pretty well known game by this point, but for those who haven't played it, the gist of the game is that you're a naked child who crawls around in muck and basements, fighting monsters, because your mom is terrible.

isaac1.JPG

The controls are relatively simple, as can be seen in the above screenshot, and along the way you collect a wide assortment of items to help you on your quest.

isaac2.JPG

There are also a lot of horrifying bosses to fight.

isaac3.jpg

A lot of people call this game a roguelike due to the permadeath and randomly generated dungeons. Personally, I see this game as being like The Legend of Zelda more than anything. Between the idea of fighting monsters room-by-room (or screen-by-screen), the fact that keys and bombs make up the bulk of your inventory, and pretty blatant shoutouts like the shop design, this is basically the original Legend of Zelda with a little bit of roguelike spice thrown in for flavor.

And because the original Legend of Zelda is genius, this is, of course, all a good thing.

isaac4.png

Along the way our hero Isaac has little flashbacks to horrifying moments in his life. Such as this one, which we can all relate to.

isaac5.png

I feel like there's a lot to say about this game despite the fact that the basic gist of it can be conveyed in just a few screenshots. But basically, between the weird and grim artstyle and story and the solid mechanics, there are a lot of hours of gameplay to be had here. This is frequently regarded to be one of the best indie games to hit the market in the last few years and I have to agree. If you enjoy a challenge and a lot of action, and you're fine with a vaguely disturbing setting, then this game is for you.

NOTE: The game has since been remade with a new engine and various other changes. I have yet to play the remake, so this review is based on the original game.

THE VERDICT:

• Challenging
    • Addictive
    • It's "The Legend of Zelda" with permadeath and random dungeons
    • Weird, squicky artstyle/story might be off-putting to some people
    • Plays solidly, good game design
    • Basically a must-have if you like this type of top-down action game

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

BoI is a really, really, really good game that I can't stand because the art is so offputting xD

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Interesting that the biggest draw card for me is something that isn't mentioned on your list: It looks hilarious. Not art style wise (although that helps) but definitely the general concept, and the nightmares etc.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's definitely funny if you like morbid or dark humor. It's certainly not for everyone but if you like that sort of style you'll probably love the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Danielle likes that kind of comedy more than I do, but I do like it in small doses, and this looks like a smallish game.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Binding of isaac is amazing. I never get tired of that game. My boyfriend gets tired of the soundtrack consisting of just one song, though.

And now there is ReBirth which I believe adds controller-friendliness~

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    And now there is ReBirth which I believe adds controller-friendliness~
    Yep Rebirth adds native controller support, so you don't need something like Joy2Key to play, which in my eyes makes Rebirth a far better game (other than the fact that it is already an all around better game)

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd definitely like to play Rebirth at some time.

I also want to say thanks to everyone for still following this thread! I'm surprised (and glad) that there's still interest in this

So wait, Rebirth is just a little expanded and polished BoI? Not a new game?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

From what I understand Rebirth made a lot of pretty substantial changes, but I haven't played it so I can't say for sure.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Rebirth added:

150 new items
    4 new playable characters
    New levels
    New bosses
    New enemy types
    New endings
    New challenges
    New level curses
    New graphics
    New music
    Savegames
    Local co-op

The game now runs at steady 60fps, compared to ~30fps on the old one (which seemed to drop to to ~2fps when a lot of stuff is happening).

Tons of bugs are fixed, caps for number of familiars / bullets on-screen are gone, enemy AI is better... There are a lot more items that interact with other items to make awesome synergies, and the physics engine for projectiles is a lot more complex and robust. And so on.

I put 200 hours into BOI:R in the past 2 months, and yesterday I tried to play the original BOI and as good as it is (which is very very good), it's total crap compared to Rebirth. Rebirth is amazing. Also an expansion is in the works.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

For the record, I am working on the next game, but it's a "larger" title so I want to put a little bit of time into it before my assessment goes live. Sorry for any delay!