Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Pike Plays Literally Every Game on Her Steam List (Current Game: Blood Bowl)

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bit.Trip.Fast is more like it. But yeah it's another great, simple Bit.Trip game.

Though I've not played the first Runner, I have played Runner 2, which I had to buy again on 360 because there is just enough lag on this potatoputer to make the game almost impossible to play when the levels start getting faster.

The extremely long levels in that game are a little frustrating.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo

BIT.TRIP PRESENTS RUNNER 2
    Rhythm/Music/Platform
    Steam Link

After having loved the first game, I was excited to play the second. And it turns out I was right to be excited - this is a perfect example of a sequel, a game that that kept all the best parts of the first, tweaked the worst, and added a few new things.

Also, the updated art style is gorgeous.

bit trip presents 1.jpg

The general playstyle to the game is almost identical to the first...

bit trip presents 2.jpg

Right down to the rainbows.

There are a couple of new moves added, for example, this Sonic-esque spin around a loop-the-loop.

bit trip presents 5.jpg

Another very welcome addition are checkpoints, which means you no longer have to worry about getting sent to the start of a marathon level for one mistake - you can go back to the checkpoint instead. It's a fantastic addition to the series.

Collecting all the gold in one stage lets you shoot yourself from a cannon into a target for bonus points.

bit trip presents 3.jpg

And it's hilarious.

bit trip presents 4.jpg

The game also lets you compare your score with your Steam friends, which so far has done little except point out to me that I will never match Dr Unne.

bit trip presents 6.jpg

Overall I'm quite impressed. This is a sequel that improves on the already brilliant original, and basically I recommend it to... just about everyone.

THE VERDICT:

• GOOD
    • Get this if you liked the original
    • Basically get this if you like fun
    • Really relaxing
    • The music gives me feels for some reason
    • An instant classic, really

=D I'm the one in third on your last screenshot xD

I never noticed the scoreboard thing, I guess Unne has a higher score than me for the first two worlds and lower for the last two, and higher overall. I don't think I have the will go to get Triple Perfect Plusses on all those early stages to catch up.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

At first I was all about getting perfect on everything / competing with my spouse, but at some point I stopped caring about the score and just wanted to beat all the levels. Fun game though. Runner 2 was a nice improvement over the first game. Some of the levels in the first game were torture, Runner 2 was fun mostly the whole way through.

Prinny God Recognized Member Endless's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne View Post
    Pretty sure enemies spawn and move around in sync with the tempo/intensity of the music. More lively music = more and faster-moving enemies.
    Whoops, missed this thread a couple weeks ago, so late answer.

In Beat Hazard, the enemy spawns, speed and movement are linked to your music tempo/rhythm. In particular, when the music gets near silent, enemies will also stop moving (but keep spawning because spawns are calculated on a moving window). It's completely deterministic. The difficulty setting will change how many and how fast they move/shoot iirc.
    One very nice effect is that it means that if you and your friends share tracks, you can compete .
    There are leaderboards for various categories, too.

Your ship's firing rate is also directly linked to that tempo/rhythm, meaning that in silent section, your main gun won't shoot squat.
    Re: "Beat Hazard" effect : it increases firepower, adding more fire lines to your main gun.

The Shadow Ops DLC added customization of ships (you can create your won or downloaded custom models from Steam works), and different ships have different firing angles, movement speed and maneuverability.

Re: streaming. Beat Hazard supports custom radio stations. Spotify and the like is problematic to add for a game because Spotify and the like don't want you to stream for free without an account and at the very least listening to ads, and usually won't allow third party clients unless you pay premium.

And then there is Death

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I played this a lot last easter, and it would drive me absolutely nuts. I would refuse to move on to the next level until I had beaten the current level perfectly. Endless retries ensue.

If I play this again I'll just try aiming for the exit for my first run through of the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

These games be tripping all right. What am I even looking at?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

BIT.TRIP VOID
    Rhythm/Music
    Steam Link

Bit.Trip Void is sort of similar to Bit.Trip Beat; it's not really a "bigger" game like the Runner games, instead it's more of an extended mini-game.

In this game you are a sphere that needs to collect black dots whilst avoiding white ones.

bit trip void 5.png

You start out small, but as the game progresses and you collect more black dots, you grow bigger and bigger...

bit trip void 3.png

bit trip void 1.png

You do eventually get to a point where you're too big to dodge those white dots anymore.

bit trip void 2.png

Seriously, you'll fill up the screen.

bit trip void 4.png

And at that point hitting a white dot will make you small again, and the process begins anew.

It's certainly a neat little game although as I said earlier it feels more like a mini-game than anything. If you like rhythm or music based stuff you will probably enjoy dumping a few ten-minute stretches into this though.

THE VERDICT:

• Mini-game style rhythm action
    • Works best with a controller
    • Worth getting in a BIT.TRIP bundle if you like this sort of stuff

And so that concludes the BIT.TRIP block of Pike's Steam list. Hope you all enjoyed it!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'm still yet to play a rhythm game that has really captured my attention. I think they may just not be my cup of tea. Or, since I dislike tea, perhaps they are my cup of tea... I'm so confused right now.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think I'd actually recommend Bit Trip Runner and Runner 2 to pretty much anyone, even people who haven't really been interested in rhythm games before. I'm not really huge into rhythm stuff but I just looooove the Runner games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Get the smurf away from me, white dots! You mean nothing to me! NOTHING!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dancing Chocobo

Blackwell Convergence
    Point & Click/Adventure/Mystery
    Steam Link

Well the game starts by defaulting my screen resolution to 800x600 or something, which isn't exactly the most promising start.

Convergence 2015-01-25 17-21-02-18.jpg

The generic Indie "retro" look and amateur feel of the voice acting also aren't doing much to gain my favor, but then this happens:

Convergence 2015-01-25 17-22-10-83.jpg

One of the main characters is a ghost That certainly escalated quickly.

Convergence 2015-01-25 17-26-56-01.jpg

Overall this is a fairly standard point and click game. There is nothing particularly new or exciting about the mechanics. You can switch between being a ghost or a human and each one can do a few interesting things, though, so that's kind of neat. I think the main draw of this game is the premise, which is genuinely interesting, because it's not often that you see games (or any media, for that matter) where the paranormal is mixed with real life and it's just a normal thing. I think the two characters are some sort of detective team and that's a pretty fun idea.

Convergence 2015-01-25 17-31-12-72.jpg

This middle aged ghost thinks that he's still alive and wants to fling himself off the ledge. Your job is to help ghosts stuck in limbo to move on, so you get to spend some time trying to talk some sense into this fellow (it's not easy)

Convergence 2015-01-25 17-34-33-70.jpg

You get multiple options, as well as options within options, when you talk to people. I sort of suspect that all of the options inevitably lead to the same path, though - i.e. most of the options are going to fail and bring you back to square one.

Convergence 2015-01-25 17-44-48-58.jpg

Eventually the ghost gets sucked into the girl's body (I guess?) and she takes them through a portal or something? That seems to be how it works around these parts.

Not long after this my power died So that's about where this particular incarnation of the Let's Play ends.

THE VERDICT:

• Once the premise got going it actually gained and kept my attention
    • But ultimately you've gotta be a really good point-and-click game to keep me playing
    • Some of the voice acting is grating but you can turn it off
    • The 800x600 resolution blown up to fill your screen is kind of obnoxious
    • Point and click fans will like it
    • People who like ghosts and detective stories will probably like it too, actually
    • It's surprisingly interesting!

I have like three or four of the games in this series so I'll see you next time for more ghostly shenanigans!