Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Pike Plays Literally Every Game on Her Steam List (Current Game: Blood Bowl)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    The best thing about it all is that they used all the voice actors from the TV series. Everything else is pretty great too though.
    Agreed.

I love this game so much. I had so much fun on it and I can't wait to sink my teeth into Arkham City, that's the only Arkham game I haven't played yet.

I prefer Asylum to City - I feel the open world didn't really help them as I kept getting distracted by stuff. "Oh no! A villain is causing mass devastation a few blocks away from here! I'd better go invest-ooooh a Riddler puzzle!"

Both great games though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fox_ View Post
    I prefer Asylum to City - I feel the open world didn't really help them as I kept getting distracted by stuff. "Oh no! A villain is causing mass devastation a few blocks away from here! I'd better go invest-ooooh a Riddler puzzle!"

Both great games though.
    Had a similar experience with Origins, to tell the truth. I just wanted to follow the main story, but the damn thing kept throwing side-quests at me left and right. I didn't even bother with the Riddler puzzles, then what does the game do when I beat it? Send me back to the city until I finish all the side-quests and trout. FFFFFFFFFF-!

Yeah, I feel like they do take a bit too much inspiration from Assassin's Creed at times. Asylum was much more focussed, but City and Origins felt the need to add tons and tons of 'stuff' in to try and pad the game and add 'value' for the completionists. It's like a film director who refuses to cut anything after the rough edit. Sure, the film is longer, but that doesn't make it better.

Having said that, that tendency is one of the only things the Batman games get wrong. For the most part they're incredible, and I can't wait for Arkham Knight.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Arkham City is actually next up on my list. So we'll see how it goes!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Batman: Arkham City
    Action/Adventure/Open World
    Steam Link

You start out the game as Catwoman. It's pretty awesome. (SPOILER)also dat ass

batmancity.jpg

This doesn't last very long, though, because moments later it's time to be Bruce Wayne in a brutal opening that has poor Bats all tied up in a chair and facing good ol' Hugo Strange:

batmancity2.jpg

I manage to make an escape and beat up a whole bunch of thugs as well as The Penguin despite being tied up and handcuffed. I get my batsuit delivered to me and now it's time to seriously kick ass and chew bubblegum.

batmancity3.jpg

My next stop is finding Catwoman, beating up Two Face but deciding not to kill him (I'm sure that won't come back to haunt me at all ) and doing some detective work.

batmancity4.jpg

And then it's off to flirt with Harley Quinn

batmancity5.jpg

Before promptly taking everyone out in a church

batmancity6.jpg

And smashing two guys into the ground in one move.

batmancity7.jpg

It's pretty good!

THE VERDICT:

• It's a lot like the first
    • Good for Batman nerds or basically anyone who wants to be Bats
    • You can punch guys out from behind walls and stuff
    • And glide around
    • And hookshot like Link
    • And you get a move where you can summon bats to attack people
    • It's pretty great

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For those wondering, Asylum is very much a Metroidvania-style game where you get increasing tools and powers that open things up, while City is more open from the start, and has a vast number of collectables to collect. As Fox and ToriJ have been saying.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Same game, except they opened it up. Which is a logical step for the game!

Also both are super fun, although I am terrible at the combat.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I played Arkham Origins so I probably already have a good grasp on what the gameplay will be like since they just copied and pasted for that game.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dancing Chocobo

Beat Hazard
    Music/SHMUP
    Steam Link

I'd actually spent about eight hours on this game before playing it for this go-around, so I'm not new to it. This is a shoot-em-up game that is set to your own music. You pick a song and try to survive for the duration of that song.

beathazard1.jpg

Along the way you collect power-ups, points to help you progress in rank and money to allow you to buy upgrades.

beathazard2.jpg

There are also huge boss battles.

beathazard3.jpg

Some of the power-ups that you collect increase the volume of the music as well as your weapon's strength. If you max out both you get a message that says "Beat Hazard" and... I'm not sure what it does, actually. I think it just makes the pulsing lights on the screen more intense.

beathazard4.jpg

And yeah, the game gets pretty colorful.

beathazard5.jpg

Although most of the gameplay is pretty straightforward, you occasionally get bullet-hell inspired bosses. Sometimes two at once.

beathazard6.jpg

Since it's a "survival" game the difficulty is largely determined by the length of the song you pick. In the above screenshot I've got two minutes left in the stupid song and am already out of lives. (I did manage to survive, though, by being really liberal with using my powerups. By the end I was out of powerups but I WAS ALIVE.)

It's a surprisingly fun little game but I feel like its biggest flaw is simply that in an age of Spotify and music streaming, not everyone has all the songs they want to play lying around on their hard drive. I kept catching myself thinking "WAIT I KNOW WHAT SONG I REALLY WANT TO DO NEXT oh wait that's on Spotify/YouTube/etc. I don't actually own it. Damn."

If they rigged it to somehow be able to hook up to your Spotify account I'd dump a heck of a lot more time into this. I don't know if that's technically feasible or not but man, I'd even pay money to buy a sequel with that feature.

THE VERDICT:

• Surprisingly fun
    • I'll happily dump a couple hours on it when I'm bored
    • Best for people with big music libraries
    • SERIOUS: seizure warning. No for real, the entire game is about flashing lights
    • If you are sensitive to that kind of thing this game is not for you
    • Other than that this is pretty good stuff!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I am old school and prefer my own library to Spotify. Do the types of enemies or the quantity of enemies increase depending on classical or heavy metal or whatever?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not that I know of. I don't think the choice of music changes much beyond how long you have to survive.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Pretty sure enemies spawn and move around in sync with the tempo/intensity of the music. More lively music = more and faster-moving enemies.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dancing Chocobo

Ben There, Dan That!
    Adventure/Point-and-click
    Steam Link

This is a point and click adventure game in the vein of old-school ones like Sam and Max. This particular one is very indie (I think it was made by two guys who self-inserted themselves into the game), and, like many games made by very small teams, sports an interesting art style that borders on being grating.

ben1.png

Also, welcome to Britbongland.

ben2.png

I didn't take many screenshots of this one partially because there's not much to screenshot in a point and click and partially because a lot of the good stuff had swears that are not acceptable for virgin ears on EoFF.

Anyways you end up making an "aerial" for your "knackered telly" before being kidnapped by aliens and taken to their spaceship.

I'm kind of torn on how I feel about this game. On the one hand, the people who made it are clearly fans of the genre - shout-outs to classics exist on nearly every other screen. The game is also legitimately funny, and there are plenty of dialogue bits that had me laughing out loud. The characters aren't afraid to break the fourth wall on occasion and it's handled smartly.

On the other hand, the weird art style and similarly weird (and very repetitive music) hold it back a little, and frankly I'm not a big enough fan of old-school point-and-click to be able to put a lot of time into it.

THE VERDICT:
    • It's Bri'ish, innit?
    • Genuinely funny
    • Mega Indie
    • Suffers from indie "we didn't really have a lot of art assets" syndrome
    • Old-school Sam & Max diehards will probably love it
    • If you're on the fence, wait for a cheap bundle

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight