View Poll Results: Ted Woolsey or Tom Slattery?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ted Woolsey

3 33.33%
  • Tom Slattery

4 44.44%
  • I really don't care too much

2 22.22%

Thread: Woolsey or Slattery?

Default Woolsey or Slattery?

Which script is your favorite? The Woolsey (SNES and PSX) or the Slattery (GBA) version?

I personally like the Slattery version, but hate the GBA's rampant murder of the sound effects and mode 7. I liked flying the airship in this game.

So what's the buzz? Weigh in...

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Everyone else in the world can bite me, I liked the GBA soundtrack. Especially Aria di Mezzo Carattere. Sounded so much nicer on GBA.

I like the GBA version more.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Both translations are really good, though I think the GBA version is just a teensy bit better.

I need to play the GBA version. I found a bunch of hacks to restore sound and color and whatnot so it looks and plays like SNES with the added GBA stuff. Seemed alright, but the emulator I used had a lot of lag whenever battles start and stuttered within battles

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Woolsey, but only because it's what I grew up on, you know?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

inb4 someone says SkyRender's fan-translation...

I prefer Slattery's overall because he added a lot of emotional depth to the characters that was lacking from Woosely's but without sacrificing all of the charm Woosely's script had given the game as opposed to SkyRender's dry straight translation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    inb4 someone says SkyRender's fan-translation...

I prefer Slattery's overall because he added a lot of emotional depth to the characters that was lacking from Woosely's but without sacrificing all of the charm Woosely's script had given the game as opposed to SkyRender's dry straight translation.
    It's really been a long time since I played that. It comes off as kind of lobotomized to me, and some of the older versions had a lot of F-bombs and such where they apparently weren't appropriate.

Oh, and the menu font is kind of an eyesore.

The Woolsey (SNES)

I thought that the GBA version sort of sucked out the dorky and made things a little too dry and empty feeling.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I haven't played the GBA version so honestly can't say.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I probably prefer Woolsey's translation over the GBA one because I grew up with it. While it is nice to have a more advanced script with high vocabulary words, I think the limitations placed on Woolsey (both censorship and technological) forced him to come up with a very creative translation that added a unique flavor to the game. Yeah, whatever, it isn't 100% accurate, but I prefer something fun like that.

It even worked for more serious moments. A good example is the attempted suicide scene where Woolsey had to work around saying blunt terms for taking one's own life. Through the character's action and the mood set by the music, it is blatantly obvious what is going on. As a result, the scene comes off much darker and creepier than outright saying what was actually going on. At least to me.

If I recall correctly this forum thinks Woolsey is the devil so go ahead and crucify me. But make sure you translate it in a fun way!