Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apparently the FF7 remake is actually happening, announced after XV's release?

ZOMG! Apparently the FF7 remake is actually happening, announced after XV's release?

Although I'm a bit skeptical, the article below states that the FF7 remake is actually happening and may be released around 2016 for both PS3 and PS4.

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/...y-7-remake.htm

Do you think this is legit? Or is it still all baseless hype? I don't want to get my hopes up too much xD

Also if this belongs in another thread, feel free to move it/lock it. I thought more people would see this if I made it a thread, sorry!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

They're not really a reliable source D:

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Nah you're perfectly fine to make a thread about it

I think if it was really happening more gaming media outlets would've picked up the story unfortunately.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

That site is usually just hugely click-bait articles.

Though sometimes nuggets of their completely made up stories do end up being true.

I wouldn't say it's unlikely that we'll see/hear about an FFVII remake within the next 5 years now. After all I through VI have been ported/remastered, quite a few times in the case of the earlier installments! So they're running out opportunities for pre-VII stuff they can keep recycling.

Japanese fans especially have been demanding an FFVII remake quite strongly, and with Type-0 finally being released outside of Japan - the odds are, assuming that SQEX continue their current business practices, that an FFVII remake is going to happen in the not too distant future.

Plus 2017 is the 20th Anniversary of FFVII... so, the stars are aligning here.

My main concern is whether they'd actually stick to the original story or change the story in the remake to make the canonical retcons from the compilation seem less jarring.
    Last edited by Aulayna; 12-02-2014 at 01:48 PM.

The website definitely doesn't seem like a credible source of information haha! I was just too curious about it not to post it, I'd like for it to be true but I guess only time will tell if it is or isn't ^^

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I won't believe it at this point even if I have a copy of it in my house and I played through it five times.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

This reminds me:

If a game comes out for PS3 and PS4, are there certain limitations that have to be placed on the PS4 version in order to make the game compatible with both old and new consoles?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Not in a game like ff7, unless they specifically want there to be differences.

Unless there are extreme changes done to the game, there won't be anything other than graphics that would stress the hardware. There is no advanced enemy or ally AI that needs to be performed in real time or anything like that.

In realtime games, the cpu also needs to finish the appropriate AI actions by the time it wants to start rendering a frame. If the game has advanced realtime physics and/or a very advanced sound engine, the cpu also needs to sort this out in the same time it had to render each frame. Seeing as a ps3 has a weaker cpu than a ps4, such games might have to reduce the AI complexity, reduce the amount of objects that can be affected by the physics engine, and perhaps reduce the accuracy of physics calculations. One frame is 16.6 milliseconds at 60 fps, and twice of that if the game runs at 30 fps. If any of the aforementioned processes occasionally fail to finish within that time frame, you'll get stutter or slowdowns.

-edit-
    I realize now that I didn't really answer your question. I can, but I've written enough on my phone now. It'll have to wait till I get home.

Ok I'm home. There are no real limitations, if they do their trout right. They'd need an engine that runs on both current and previous gen consoles. These exist already, so they should just license one and start there. Then they just have to adjust (mainly) the graphics so that they fit within the older generation's RAM, and make sure they don't use more advanced effects or more polygons than the older console could handle. For the current gen version of the game, they could just not adhere to the limitations they had to for the previous gen version.

Popular engines that are used with PS3s and 360s are for the most part already usable on the new consoles as well, but they aren't optimized to make use of the new hardware features that these consoles have. This is why new engines are made, such as Unreal Engine 4. UE4 won't run on PS360-U, so if they chose that, they would have to also make for example an UE3 version of the game, which could take a lot of extra work. UE3 will run on PS4 and XB1, but it won't be able to utilize all the new technology in those consoles, even if it will still look better than it did on the previous consoles.

It's like if you boot up a 15 year old PC game. You can hack the game to increase the resolution, and use the graphics drivers to force 32x antialiasing. You can even replace the game's 3D models with higher res versions and higher res textures and still be able to run it in twice as high framerates as you could 15 years ago. However, you can't make the graphics engine do HDR rendering, adaptive tesselation, ambient occlusion, soft shadows and self shadows. If you wanted that, you would need to hack in a whole new graphics engine, which is probably impossible to do without access to the game's source code, and even with that it would be a lot of work.

tl;dr:
    Feature-wise, no, a dual-generation release won't hold the best version of the game back, but graphically it will either limit how good the next gen version looks, or increase development costs substantially.
    Last edited by Mirage; 12-03-2014 at 06:01 PM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I'll be very surprised if the remake comes out on PS3 in all honesty.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post

Me three, I thought the phasing out of the PS3 era had already begun...?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Me four.

I don't actually have an opinion either way but I so rarely get the opportunity to use the words "me four".

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Rin Heartilly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post

Me three, I thought the phasing out of the PS3 era had already begun...?
    That began with the release of the PS4, which is like a year ago already.

Blog Entries

I'll believe it when I see it, along with Blake's 7 sequels and other such nonsense.

TBH, at one point I was crying out for a remake of FF7 but Squeenix have done so much milking of past and present FF games I'd rather they just get on with the future at this point. Toss us a remake of FFVII when FFXVII is a thing (at this rate, in about 50 years - why make decent progress on new ones when you can do FFXIII-29: Lightning Gets a Hip Replacement)

As long as people keep buying their other stuff, they will never remake VII.

That's all there is to it.