Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RPG's you want to play but cant :(

Princess Crown is a good guess. I was thinking Astal, it has a similar art-style, but is not an RPG of any kind, so probably not

Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    I didn't realize a different team made the second VC game, though that may explain part of why I wasn't fond of it like I was the first one. It was anime high school the game, and I just . . . could not take it. Unlike a lot of people I know, I tend to care more about combat systems and exploring in RPGs than stories and characters (dungeon crawling carry over, me thinks. ._.), and I can put up with a lot of inane drivel from the latter as long a game is fun to play -- which VC2 was, sans drop hunting for promotions --, but eventually the my irritation with the entire school crap managed to bore its way into my skull and forced me to drop the game. I haven't touched the third game due to my experience, and low expectations, carrying over from the second, but knowing it's from a different team gives me some hope. Is it worth my time?
    I'm not really a good judge in that regard. VC2 burned me out way faster than that with the whacky anime tropes sort of ruining the sombre atmosphere that's supposed to be a war. Laughing and joking around being a stupid idiot that signed up for enlistment because HIS BROTHER DIED (not a spoiler, they set the game up that way in the first two seconds). I could not get over that. Every time a conversation happened I failed to suspend my disbelief for the stereotypes and archetypes presented in the game. I never even got out into the actual war. I still had just the starting 3 characters. And I'm not really a fan of the way either of them played on the PSP with the battle map all split up and making you jump from one camp to the next

So with full disclosure, I hadn't really gotten that far into the third one either. You're supposed to form a team called The Nameless. To indicate you are a secret covert group that did a lot of the work for the characters in the very first game, but behind the scenes, not on file, and probably expendable. It all sounded quite interesting. Except they ruined it almost immediately when they introduce your character as Mr Perfect. Who scored higher on the training exams than anyone else in the history of ever! And he acts all stalwart and super confident and unapproachable. Typical Japanese Golden Child Genius trope that I just couldn't buy into. I hope and pray it gets better when you actually become a nameless and get other characters enlisted in your group. It definitely has potential. Just starts off on the wrong foot. And that's about all I did with it. So unfortunately I can't honestly answer your question

Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    I'll have to look into Feather now, me thinks. The Shining series is a really interesting one, with a lot of variation between the titles, so I never know what to expect in terms of quality. I think the most recent one I played was Tears, which was . . . interesting. I heard there was a followup to the game we didn't get, which I might be interested in playing. Would you happen to know anything about that one?

Also, in regards to mention of Saturn emulators, Assault Suits Leynos 2 is, like, my holy grail for that console, and I still haven't gotten to spend the quality time with it I've wanted to. T -T
    I'm not entirely sure, the PS2 era Shining games sort of made me look the other way. I believe the sequel to Tears was Wind, and from what I understood it was a direct sequel that played the same way and I'm pretty sure even had some of the same characters

I did just remember there was also a game called Shining Heart, which I know even less about other than the cover looking very Kingdom Hearts'esque. Now that I remembered it exists, I fear it's possible the translation team may move on to that instead of Blade, so here's hoping its a good game

I guess my thing is I played the first 10 - 20 minutes of Blade, so I know that game is fun. And I wasn't immediately turned off by the characters while reading the translation the way I was with VC2 and 3. Though it probably can still happen later, considering how SEGA handles their franchises..

Probably about time I stop rambling for a minute though lol

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Everything at the moment because I'm at school at the moment which means no time and my PS3 is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rin Heartilly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    my god I didn't even know this was a gameplay feature
    this is great

anyway yeah, some emulators are a pain to set up. It's too bad Suikoden 2 isn't on PSN. The first one is.
    The gameplay is very intricate! Completionists and perfectionists will have a great time min/maxing each character (and there are a tonnn of characters lol)

I live in Australia so we don't even have Suikoden 1 on our psn store
    That's actually not a problem. I'm in europe and I've bought like 7 games off of the US PSN store. You just need to make a US PSN account on a new user, then you fill that account with money by buying cash cards online. The stores email you the codes within minutes, and you don't lose a lot of money by doing it. Depending on what games cost in Australia, you might even save money by buying games from the US store, even if the stores that sell the cash card want a tiny bit of money for themselves.

If you use gmail, you don't even need to make an additional email account for it. You can just make another pretend-gmail address that shows up in your regular gmail. All you do is enter whateveryourgmailis+somethingelse@gmail.com when PSN asks for an address and it'll work. You'll get those mails sent to your regular gmail account.

Personally, I just used "+psnus", to keep things simple and easy to remember. I have a "+psnjp" too for access to demos and stuff when they are released in japan. That store is a bit hard to navigate when you can't read japanese, though.
    That is brilliant, thankyou! Hopefully I might save a bit of money doing that too considering almost everything here in Australia is damn expensive x.x I was just wondering though, by cash cards do you mean like a prepaid credit card/pre paid visa card?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

No, you just find a web shop that sells PSN cash cards, then you pay them with whatever method of payment that webshop accepts (usually visa, but some might take paypal!), then they send you a code that you input in the PSN store on your PS3 and voila, there's money on the US account that you can spend on US games.

You should set up the US account first though, and download something that's free, like a demo, just to check that it works. After that, you get the cash cards.

I personally used pcgamesupply.com, and it worked for me that one time I used it. Got the code by email within 5 minutes.

http://www.pcgamesupply.com/buygames...network-cards/ here's a list over all the game cards they offer. They have cards for use with several different regions, so make sure you select the right region.

In fact, I think I'll buy another 50 dollar card right now, just in case something pops up that I want.

The only real drawback I've found with doing it this way is that the games will be downloaded from american servers, rather than much closer regional servers. Downloading things is a bit slower, but after that, it's all the same.
    Last edited by Mirage; 12-03-2014 at 03:27 PM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Pretty much any Persona/FF that is not for PS Vita or Steam. Also many JRPGs in general. I even took a half year of Japanese so I could actually get the games in original but I chickened out after I was introduced to more complex kanji.

Plus Higurashi no Naku Koro ni VNs and also Uminekus. I just love the series and I am really sad that I can't play them all.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

I'll finish Phantasy Star IV eventually.

Blog Entries

I want FF Tactics released on steam!

Honestly surprised that hasn't happened yet. There are a lot of PSP > PC ports on there, so it's obviously not really a hard deal. I wonder if that means that PSP's infrastructure is similar to how a mini pc would be or if there was just something about those particular games

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> All the PS3 Tales games, and various rpgs for the nintendo 3DS. My wallet is too thin to play all that stuff..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

For me the Up-coming Final Fantasy Type-0 and Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III, for they won't come to PC.
    I forgot, Star Ocean : The Last Hope too, it's because the same reason like the above, it didn't out for PC.
    For some other, I just bought the Valkyria Chronicles from Steam, but haven't download it yet. But definitely the graphic is different than others, which is great. I plan to download it when Final Fantasy XIII-2 comes out, along with other game that I've bought. Bioshock Infinite and Shadow of Mordor
    Wait is VC on Steam is the first VC of the series or the sequel? If so, will the dev ever release the rest of VC series or sequel on Steam too?
    Well since The Last of Us isn't count as an RPG, I'll count that out. Really want that game, but don't want to go off topic.
    Want to get Final Fantasy XIV, but I can't buy it from Indonesia, nor Indonesia has the server. I can buy it for Steam US site, but I doubt it would work with the server though. Is anyone has got the same issue, I mean, can I really play the game even if my country doesn't support the server or not within the supported region?
    Will Persona 5 out for PC too? um... nah......
    Also Bravely Default and the up-coming Bravely Second....
    Square Enix I beg you, release them for PC too. You did a really good job, ported the Final Fantasy III and Final Fantasy IV, I know they are like different system or something. But they have the same last name and first name which is Nintendo ... DS. I'm sure you can work this out somehow
    Most of my list are from Square Enix, or all of it Either as publisher or developer or both.
    Can't think of anything else right now, so that's just about of my list for now, I guess.
    Last edited by DanielCLFFF13; 12-08-2014 at 12:30 PM.

The Valkyria Chronicles on Steam is the first one. I doubt the sequel will end up on there. And I can pretty much guarantee the third one will not end up on there

If you're that interested though, your system should be able to run a PSP emulator pretty well, and I know you like to play with a gamepad already, so you can map buttons from the emulator to the gamepad and it'll be pretty much the same experience you'd get anyway. Though I'm not entirely sure VC2 is worth the trouble. The battles are fun. Buuuut that's about it... Sadly. Since it was made by a different team it doesn't have any of the charm or well developed characters that the first one does

If you want good PSP/DS to PC ports, look into the Ys games on Steam, or the ports of FF3 and 4

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    The Valkyria Chronicles on Steam is the first one. I doubt the sequel will end up on there. And I can pretty much guarantee the third one will not end up on there

If you're that interested though, your system should be able to run a PSP emulator pretty well, and I know you like to play with a gamepad already, so you can map buttons from the emulator to the gamepad and it'll be pretty much the same experience you'd get anyway. Though I'm not entirely sure VC2 is worth the trouble. The battles are fun. Buuuut that's about it... Sadly. Since it was made by a different team it doesn't have any of the charm or well developed characters that the first one does

If you want good PSP/DS to PC ports, look into the Ys games on Steam, or the ports of FF3 and 4
    Well I hope the rest of VC series out on Steam too, but it all depends on the devs now.

Wait there's PSP emulator? I didn't know it even exist. What's the emulator name? Because I'm afraid I download the fake ones.
    wait, isn't PSP control didn't have R2 and L2 or LT and RT?
    So, VC2 is pretty much jump on the different direction from the first VC? I haven't even play the VC yet. I plan to download it on 11th December when Final Fantasy XIII-2 came out.

Ys is already on my wishlist, along with Final Fantasy III and Final Fantasy IV. But haven't bought it yet. I think I'll get it around next month, I hope.

But really want to play Bravely Default

PSP only has one set of L & R buttons. And only one analog stick. You can set L and R to either triggers or bumpers depending. Other than that, the buttons are one-to-one. You just wouldn't need to use your right analog stick

The PSP emulator I've used to test-drive games is called PPSSPP. There's probably a couple of them out there, but I can vouche for that one. I'm aware that with one of them, on certain games, there's sound issues. I watched a Lets Play of Cry on YouTube play through Corpse Party with a PSP emulator (he didn't say which one he used), but it had no music. I've never experienced that, but just to let you know it is possible you'll have sound issues. Also I've never played through an entire game on it, so I'm not sure how stable it remains. Like I said, I mostly just test drive them on PC before putting them on my PSP and/or buying them legit (or delete the bad ones and forget they ever existed lol)

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Suikoden II is available on PSN for a whopping SIX DOLLARY-DOOS.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/8/735...ase-date-price

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post
    Suikoden II is available on PSN for a whopping SIX DOLLARY-DOOS.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/8/735...ase-date-price
    Well well, it's about time.