Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RPG's you want to play but cant :(

Default RPG's you want to play but cant :(

As the title suggests, what RPG titles do you really want to play but cant due to reasons like not being able to attain it legally, too expensive to buy, game has bad reviews and you are unsure about trying it....etc

The first game that comes to mind for me is Suikoden II, I've heard so many good things about the game but it's very difficult to get my hands on a hard copy for the PS1 (without paying hundreds, that is). I also dislike emulators so I don't think I'd go that route either.

What about you guys?

Romancing SaGa 2 and Tales of Rebirth are two of the big ones for me.

I've always found Romancing SaGa 3 and SaGa Frontier to be the pinnacles of the series, but I've often heard that RS3 is absolutely nothing compared to the second game and there are no completed translation patches for it yet. Tales of Rebirth also doesn't have a completed patch for it and is one of the few main games in the Tales series I haven't touched at all. It looks great, too.

Regarding Suikoden II, I think it's really good, but not at the current admission price. Konami needs to re-release it in the US. ._.
    Last edited by Rez09; 12-02-2014 at 01:20 PM.

I'm surprised more companies don't follow in Square's footsteps and make games more readily available for other systems/generations and not just digitally. I know if Square had the Suikoden property, there would have been at LEAST a PSP/PS2 compilation of the PS1 games, probably some remakes of sorts as well

This is a great topic, one that I consider quite frequently but never really bothered to talk about. I'm with Rez, most of my shortcomings is from a language barrier. Tales of Destiny's remake. Tales of Innocence R. Valkyria Chronicles 3 (which they have patched, but its still not very well done). Shining Force Feather

But the one that bugs me the most came after Valkyria Chronicles 3. And is set in SEGA's Shining universe and plays like a Valkyria game, just all fantasy instead of tanks and guns

Shining Blade

I wants it so badly, and I've even downloaded it. But I'm not one to play an RPG purely for gameplay. I need to be able to read it and understand whats going on and everything. And I can't stand the idea of playing a foreign game with a translation guide next to me. Having to stop at every line of text to read it elsewhere would probably more than double the playtime for me and probably ruin the experience. But I may break down and try that someday

I'll probably post more later as there are some other games I am unable or unwilling to participate in for various reasons

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

FFXIV!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    I'm surprised more companies don't follow in Square's footsteps and make games more readily available for other systems/generations and not just digitally. I know if Square had the Suikoden property, there would have been at LEAST a PSP/PS2 compilation of the PS1 games, probably some remakes of sorts as well
    There actually was a PSP compilation of Suikoden I and II, Konami just decided no one outside of Japan was interested in it.

But the one that bugs me the most came after Valkyria Chronicles 3. And is set in SEGA's Shining universe and plays like a Valkyria game, just all fantasy instead of tanks and guns

Shining Blade
    o_______o

I did not know this product existed.

Now I too wants it!

Articles
    Blog Entries

^ lol I just had the same experience in the SE announcement thread.

Same as Vyk, Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Shining Blade. I knew Sega was going to make a game like that one day, as soon as I saw the shield and sword troopers in VC2, that the VC battle system would eventually appear in a fantasy. I'm worried now with VC's success on Steam that these games will come out on PC when I'd much rather play them on my Vita or PS4.

I still never played Shining Force III, either :/

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Rin Heartilly View Post
    As the title suggests, what RPG titles do you really want to play but cant due to reasons like not being able to attain it legally, too expensive to buy, game has bad reviews and you are unsure about trying it....etc

The first game that comes to mind for me is Suikoden II, I've heard so many good things about the game but it's very difficult to get my hands on a hard copy for the PS1 (without paying hundreds, that is). I also dislike emulators so I don't think I'd go that route either.

What about you guys?
    What's wrong with emulators? Honest question. Is it that you play it on a small PC display, or that you use your keyboard, or something else?

Anyway for me, Fire Emblem: Awakening because I don't oh wait i bought that today nevermind
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

This is a great topic, one that I consider quite frequently but never really bothered to talk about. I'm with Rez, most of my shortcomings is from a language barrier. Tales of Destiny's remake. Tales of Innocence R. Valkyria Chronicles 3 (which they have patched, but its still not very well done). Shining Force Feather

Oh gosh, every game you mentioned, I want! Especially the case with VC 3, I played both Valkyria chronicles 1 & 2 and loved it but was disappointed that the third was Japan exclusive. The language barrier is definitely the biggest factor that has prevented me from playing a lot of great rpgs. I even took Japanese units at university to learn how to read, but I'm pretty bad at kanji so it just takes way too long when I'm reading Japanese, so I gave up =___=" There's nothing like reading in your native language hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    What's wrong with emulators? Honest question. Is it that you play it on a small PC display, or that you use your keyboard, or something else?

Anyway for me, Fire Emblem: Awakening because I don't oh wait i bought that today nevermind
    I don't really dislike emulators but rather I'm kind of indifferent to them. I didn't mind using emulators for GBA and DS roms but it's just not the same as playing a physical copy, I guess ^^ I'm also very lazy when it comes to setting things up, so when I wanted to set up a ps1 emu (mainly for suikoden 2) I was intimidated by all the set up stuff and didn't bother xD I also remember past tragedies where my save data was lost and stuff so I've been a bit paranoid getting back into emulators, though when I used them in highschool...I really used them a lotttt. xD

Fire emblem: Awakening is a great game! I spent a good 300 hours setting up optimal marriage partners and children with the best stats and abilities for them...now I feel like playing again puahaha

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I keep hearing that both Skies of Arcadia and Tales of Symphonia are really good, but I don't have appropriate console.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    I keep hearing that both Skies of Arcadia and Tales of Symphonia are really good, but I don't have appropriate console.
    I also want to play Skies of Arcadia as I've heard many good things about it. Tales of Symphonia is great too, definitely a classic! Unfortunately the sequel isn't as good as the first, but if you ever get a gamecube or ps3 I'd recommend Tales of Symphonia

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Rin Heartilly View Post

Oh gosh, every game you mentioned, I want! Especially the case with VC 3, I played both Valkyria chronicles 1 & 2 and loved it but was disappointed that the third was Japan exclusive. The language barrier is definitely the biggest factor that has prevented me from playing a lot of great rpgs. I even took Japanese units at university to learn how to read, but I'm pretty bad at kanji so it just takes way too long when I'm reading Japanese, so I gave up =___=" There's nothing like reading in your native language hehe

I don't really dislike emulators but rather I'm kind of indifferent to them. I didn't mind using emulators for GBA and DS roms but it's just not the same as playing a physical copy, I guess ^^ I'm also very lazy when it comes to setting things up, so when I wanted to set up a ps1 emu (mainly for suikoden 2) I was intimidated by all the set up stuff and didn't bother xD I also remember past tragedies where my save data was lost and stuff so I've been a bit paranoid getting back into emulators, though when I used them in highschool...I really used them a lotttt. xD

Fire emblem: Awakening is a great game! I spent a good 300 hours setting up optimal marriage partners and children with the best stats and abilities for them...now I feel like playing again puahaha
    my god I didn't even know this was a gameplay feature
    this is great

anyway yeah, some emulators are a pain to set up. It's too bad Suikoden 2 isn't on PSN. The first one is.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Suikoden II, Skies of Arcadia, and Tales of Symphonia are all excellent games. I just finsihed Skies and Symphonia like this month. Glad I got to play them.

As for me, there are a few games that haven't been translated or only have English subs. I know most people don't care, but I really do. Might just play them on mute I guess but I dunno.

I really want to try the Resident Evil games but I absolutely suck at those types of games so I know I wouldn't make it far

my god I didn't even know this was a gameplay feature
    this is great

anyway yeah, some emulators are a pain to set up. It's too bad Suikoden 2 isn't on PSN. The first one is.
    The gameplay is very intricate! Completionists and perfectionists will have a great time min/maxing each character (and there are a tonnn of characters lol)

I live in Australia so we don't even have Suikoden 1 on our psn store

Blog Entries

When I was a kid I wanted really badly to play Legaia 2: Duel Saga but my desire slowly ebbed away and now I have the chance to play the game but have little interest in doing so.

I wouldnt mind having a go at The Last Story but I lack a Wii
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

FFX HD. C'mon Squeenix I'm not getting a PS3 or Vita just for this.