Thread: Damn it, Uematsu-san!

Default Damn it, Uematsu-san!

I'm busy as a bee working on a new edit of Final Fantasy VI, and I've just got to the Opera House.

After having played this game (and small sections of it) ad nauseam in the past, you'd think that the Aria Di Mezzo Caraterre wouldn't affect me that much anymore, but...

BUT...

Damn it, Uematsu-san! I'm trying to WORK here!!!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's okay bro just let it all out.

14432.jpg

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It can't be any worst than being affected more emotionally and tear-jerkingly when you play a remake of FF6 based on a children's show, like I was. I have no idea why I got so emotional then, but I did...

I hope no one hates me for saying this, but Aria Di Mezzo Caraterre reminds me of a song from FFVII in places, which also affects my heartstrings, so that makes me emotional too.

I have seen people take that badly though, so I am sorry if I offend anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    It can't be any worst than being affected more emotionally and tear-jerkingly when you play a remake of FF6 based on a children's show, like I was. I have no idea why I got so emotional then, but I did...

I hope no one hates me for saying this, but Aria Di Mezzo Caraterre reminds me of a song from FFVII in places, which also affects my heartstrings, so that makes me emotional too.

Yep, I often hum Aria and Aerith's Theme together in some sort of mashed-up version.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post

Yep, I often hum Aria and Aerith's Theme together in some sort of mashed-up version.
    I'd love to create a mashed up version of both songs, but I'm not talented enough yet.

I'm glad to see that at least one person here doesn't mind me saying they sound similar. I personally love it when a song sounds similar to a song I already like.

I hope no one hates me for saying this, but Aria Di Mezzo Caraterre reminds me of a song from FFVII in places
    You mean, specifically, the first three notes of the intro melody?

Yeah, I noticed that too, waaay back in 1997.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    I hope no one hates me for saying this, but Aria Di Mezzo Caraterre reminds me of a song from FFVII in places
    You mean, specifically, the first three notes of the intro melody?

Yeah, I noticed that too, waaay back in 1997.
    I mean specifically, bits and pieces of all of both songs, if I'm honest.

They share no other melodies...unless I'm too far mistaken. They do swell up, but Aeris' theme does it within half as many measures. Then it goes to an F chord; Aria di Mezzo does not contain this chord. Then it goes to D minor, a chord also not present in Aria di Mezzo. At this point, Aeris' theme has a clarinet (or something, an instrument that isn't present in Aria) take over the melody, and quiets way down as it modulates to F#minor (and skips a measure of beats while doing it), while Aria di Mezzo has an extra measure (with a B minor arpeggio) before modulating to B minor and bringing the volume way up again, much quicker.

I could go on, but I'd cap this off by noting that Aeris' theme repeats if left to play on its own; due to the nature of the Aria, it has an ending (rare for the FF series).

They really only share the three notes at the intro, and similar instrumentation. Also, they are both in the key of D, so I guess it's really a matter of opinion.

Blog Entries

I might try to explain this better another day if I can, but it's more that I can connect the two songs throughout, When I can I will do a separate post about this connecting the two, with clips of the songs as examples. I feel that they can connect to each other, the same as Jenova's music connects to Ultimeica's music to me - it's not that they are directly the same, but they connect.

I do notice more similar parts between Aria and Aeris though; the parts where the lyrics are supposed to be sung in Aria can easily segway into a particular part of Aeris's music, at least for me they can.

I will have to do this other thread, and use the clips as back up, as while I am a music appreciator in my heart, I will admit I don't know all of the words like you do, so I can't always think of the right thing to say.

I might try to explain this better another day if I can, but it's more that I can connect the two songs throughout, When I can I will do a separate post about this connecting the two, with clips of the songs as examples. I feel that they can connect to each other, the same as Jenova's music connects to Ultimeica's music to me - it's not that they are directly the same, but they connect.

I do notice more similar parts between Aria and Aeris though; the parts where the lyrics are supposed to be sung in Aria can easily segway into a particular part of Aeris's music, at least for me they can.

I will have to do this other thread, and use the clips as back up, as while I am a music appreciator in my heart, I will admit I don't know all of the words like you do, so I can't always think of the right thing to say.
    You mean mash them up? Yeah, that'd be easy. They're in the same key (D major) and play at similar tempos.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post

I'd love to create a mashed up version of both songs, but I'm not talented enough yet.

I'm glad to see that at least one person here doesn't mind me saying they sound similar. I personally love it when a song sounds similar to a song I already like.
    I heard the same things you did and would love a mashed up version.