Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

It was inevitable. Brent Spiner wasn't going to look like Data forever.

My favorite scene comes right in the first episode.

Odo
    The man is a gambler, and a thief.

Quark
    I'm not a thief!

Odo
    *You* are a THIEF!

Quark
    If I am, you haven't been able to prove it for nine years!
    xD

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Oh, the Odo+Quark interactions are great. I love how Odo comes to like Quark somehow, despite his deviously scandalous ways.

Great character interactions on this show. Character-driven sci-fi = win.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

It certainly isn't my favorite, but I had a good four day marathon of the show last year and . . . I liked it quite a bit. I expected to find it rather boring, seeing that most episodes were focused on the station, but most of the main cast were interesting and Sisko ended up my favorite captain so far (though I haven't seen Enterprise, so that might change).

Q: "You hit me. Picard never hit me."

Sisko: "I'm not Picard."

Yuuussss >: D

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

To anyone who tried to give DS9 a shot and then sort of stopped: the first couple of seasons are slow-ish, so especially if you're jumping in directly after finishing TNG it's going to pale in comparison. I promise that it gets better and that it will grow on you. Right around the time you hit season three or four things just start CRACKING.

I love love TNG (and also TOS) but I think DS9 might just be my favorite. It's soooo good once it picks up.

(I of course don't blame anyone who picks TNG is their favorite, both shows are solid gold)

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    It was inevitable. Brent Spiner wasn't going to look like Data forever.
    Indeed, but what boggles my mind is that they basically replaced him with (SPOILER)another Data, played by the same actor. It served no purpose other than to reboot the character. It didn't spare the actor anything other than the fact that it was the last TNG movie (and probably will remain so), but that has nothing to do with Data

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I feel about Worf the way shion feels about Data.

So it's surprising I never watched DS9! I intend to eventually...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    To anyone who tried to give DS9 a shot and then sort of stopped: the first couple of seasons are slow-ish, so especially if you're jumping in directly after finishing TNG it's going to pale in comparison. I promise that it gets better and that it will grow on you. Right around the time you hit season three or four things just start CRACKING.
    That's a large commitment to get to the 'good' parts. Is there a list of necessary season 1 and 2 episodes to get the just of it for season 3?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    That's a large commitment to get to the 'good' parts. Is there a list of necessary season 1 and 2 episodes to get the just of it for season 3?
    As in, can you just skip to season 3 and know wtf is going on? Not really, although I think you'd get it all figured out again eventually. There's a lot of setting up in seasons one and two.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd recommend watching it all if possible but if not there's a decent guide on which episodes are okay to skip: http://www.letswatchstartrek.com/ds9-episode-guide/

(I'm not sure why it stops midway through season four. Presumably anything after that is worth watching )

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A decent episode guide overall, though I disagree with some. Q-Less is worth watching just to see Sisko punch Q.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

DS9 and Sisko both start out kinda slow. I thought Sisko was very overrated until he couple of seasons in when he seemed to start showing/developing his acting chops (coincidentally, right around the time he grew his goatee). It became well worth watching, and is my second favorite Trek. TNG is still my favorite, in large part due to its better cast (Picard > Sisko, Data > Odo), but I understand why some people like DS9 more.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    DS9 and Sisko both start out kinda slow. I thought Sisko was very overrated until he couple of seasons in when he seemed to start showing/developing his acting chops (coincidentally, right around the time he grew his goatee). It became well worth watching, and is my second favorite Trek. TNG is still my favorite, in large part due to its better cast (Picard > Sisko, Data > Odo), but I understand why some people like DS9 more.
    I agree with the above, but where do you factor in Tasha Yar? You want a short haired chick you pick DS9. In fact, DS9 had two short hairs better than Yar in Kira and Dax 2.0. Then there's Wesley Crusher, the little annoying bastard. The "children" on DS9 were much less annoying.

When it comes down to it, TNG didn't have Dax. DS9 had two.

Overall, DS9 has a better cast. Nicole de Boer (Ezri Dax), Terry Farrell (Jadzia Dax), Colm Meany (Miles O'Brian), Nana Visitor (Kira Nerys), Arman Shimerman (Quark), Aaron Eisenberg (Nog), Marc Alaimo (Gul Dukat), Andrew Robinson (Garak).

TNG has two giant standouts in Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner, but overall it's pretty clear that DS9 has the best cast in the history of Star Trek.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I will not stand for leaving out Levar Burton from a list of standout cast members on TNG.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

DS9 and TNG are about equally great.

but

goddamn the guys who play Garak and Gul Dukat are amazing. Also Odo.