Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I *don't* want a remake

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I'm on the fence, I guess. Like with FFVI, I don't think a remake could possibly recapture the essence of the original. Would the humor still work? Would I feel the same way about the characters? Would they have to change so much that it wouldn't be the same game?

On the other hand, I get what MJN is saying, because no matter what they do, the original still exists, and nothing can really take away from my experience of the original game unless I let it. In the end, I think I would love to reexperience the game without the ugly polygons. It's kind of hard to play anymore.

I can replay FFVI without the same revulsion to the graphics, b/c they fit. They're old and pixelated, but they work, and my enjoyment of the game isn't hampered any by the how the sprites look.

FFVII exists in that middle ground of uncanny ugliness, but I do agree with everyone regarding prerendered backgrounds and such. I think rpgs in particular lost something in the transition to full-3D. Don't get me wrong, some 3D rpgs have managed to create some truly astounding worlds, with sights that are very nearly breathtaking, but they don't integrate with the gameplay in the same way. It's especially obnoxious when it creates a sense of illusion, in that so much of the beauty is untouchable, which ends up feeling like you're being teased for no reason. Case in point, FFXIII.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I find the biggest difference between pre-rendered and 3D isn't so much the art, as the camera. Pre-renders were optimized for one viewing angle, rather than trying to create a fully 'real' environment. I personally believe that going back to a static camera would go a long way to capturing the classic feel.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post

Hey, that would save a lot on processor time rendering the background...and you could use more expensive textures on a modern system. So...redrawn, pre-rendered backgrounds would be a thing.

I say redrawn because if you're going to have characters that are more realistically-proportioned than the original (as any remake had better, imo), the backgrounds would then have to be redrawn to fit those proportions. They don't always fit the proportions of the Polygon Characters of the original, to be frank.

This is diverging somewhat, but people don't often bring up the Honeybee Inn, or Don Corneo, or literally all of Wall Market when discussing a remake. Thoughts?
    I think because final fantasy has such a worldwide appeal these days, they could keep an essence of the events, but it would be subject to a colossal rewrite. I feel that the general Japanese quirkiness would leave a bad taste in the mouth of people not entirely familiar to certain 'eccentricities' that come from our brothers in the east. =P

The homo-erotic elements would be completely scrapped. Games are designed with a much stricter thematic foundation these days. I don't believe that the art direction employed by modern developers would even allow this versatility in overall tone and mood. It would probably break immersion. Video Games are very much in an epoch of cinematic emulation, and hence, I imagine that Final Fantasy VII remake would, like most games of today, take itself too seriously to include such frivolity.

I feel that the general Japanese quirkiness would leave a bad taste in the mouth of people not entirely familiar to certain 'eccentricities'
    You mean an entire neighborhood being okay with sex work? I don't know if eccentric is the word I'd use.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    I feel that the general Japanese quirkiness would leave a bad taste in the mouth of people not entirely familiar to certain 'eccentricities'
    You mean an entire neighborhood being okay with sex work? I don't know if eccentric is the word I'd use.
    Oh I dunno, it's not so bad. Pompeii flourished because of its rampant fornication and sexual deviances for the price of silver. =P Having said that, nobody as of yet has tried to make a video game out of it. =P Maybe the Japanese are just social progressives. Haha.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'd most likely want to play it if it's made, but I'm not gonna cry if it's not. I'm not among those demanding that it be remade either.

I do not want a remake but, guys, this is going to happen, we want it or not. And I think this is going to happen in 2017 in the 20th anniversary of the game I am really sure of this.

Perhaps, but it'll likely see release in 2018, the 21st anniversary (it's a mutiple of 7, Square and their whimsy).

People act like the only way 7 can be remade is if it's made into an over-the-shoulder semi-1st-person action-rpg with 3d-rendered environments. Keep the PC HD, I just want the polygons updated. I've uploaded pics of some fan renders for more realistic depictions of Sephiroth and Cloud (dwarfed for non-combat and regular for in-combat) in the Remake thread. Basically, I just want to be able to believe I'm playing as a human being rather than a mannequin made of balloons.

As for the script, they needn't entirely omit the idiosynchrosies. For example, Aerith could say, "This guy are sick... I mean, is sick! Ha..."

I would love updated versions of the minigames. I think they should add at least one more Gold Saucer-original game. Also, I think Cloud should comment on the motorcycle, snowboard, and submarine games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

You'd think they would have started work on one when interest first started up after the PS3 demo.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    Perhaps, but it'll likely see release in 2018, the 21st anniversary (it's a mutiple of 7, Square and their whimsy).

People act like the only way 7 can be remade is if it's made into an over-the-shoulder semi-1st-person action-rpg with 3d-rendered environments. Keep the PC HD, I just want the polygons updated. I've uploaded pics of some fan renders for more realistic depictions of Sephiroth and Cloud (dwarfed for non-combat and regular for in-combat) in the Remake thread. Basically, I just want to be able to believe I'm playing as a human being rather than a mannequin made of balloons.

As for the script, they needn't entirely omit the idiosynchrosies. For example, Aerith could say, "This guy are sick... I mean, is sick! Ha..."

I would love updated versions of the minigames. I think they should add at least one more Gold Saucer-original game. Also, I think Cloud should comment on the motorcycle, snowboard, and submarine games.
    You can't raise the poly count for the backgrounds in ff7 (which is 99% of what you see) without digging up the 3D models used to make them, and at that point, you might as well just display the 3D models in realtime and enable a lot more options when it comes to camera positions and movement. The grammar defects were fixed already in the PC version in '98 or 99.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I actually don't want a remake. no reverse things

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I wanted an FFVII remake along with everyone else, until the compilation came along.

Nearly all the key moments in FFVII have been readdressed and visually reimagined in Advent Children, Crisis Core, and Dirge of Cerberus. A remake is kind of overkill at this point.

But, you can bet that if they were to remake it I'd be first in line to buy it.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    Hehe, I love this idea. As long as they didn't overdo it. Just little lines of optional dialogue with insignificant NPCs that hearken back to the original release.

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There has never been a game in the history of forever that has warranted a remake more than this game. People have been wanting it for years and now that it is truly outdated, yet still highly demanded there is really no reason for them not to. Capcom gave us the Resident Evil remake so give us the damn FFVII Square!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    There has never been a game in the history of forever that has warranted a remake more than this game. People have been wanting it for years and now that it is truly outdated, yet still highly demanded there is really no reason for them not to. Capcom gave us the Resident Evil remake so give us the damn FFVII Square!
    This. All of this.