Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I *don't* want a remake

Default I *don't* want a remake

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Scott
    Reverse psychology is an awesome tool. Don't know if you guys know about this, but...basically, you make someone think the opposite of what you believe, and that tricks them into doing something stupid.

Works like a charm!
    But as I've stated in other threads in other places, there is one way, and one way only, that a remake of FFVII will happen, and that is if you (yes, YOU) stop buying any and all things that Square Enix makes, until such time as it is announced.

...Though it'd probably be 10 years from the announcement to the release...

Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Scott
    Reverse psychology is an awesome tool. Don't know if you guys know about this, but...basically, you make someone think the opposite of what you believe, and that tricks them into doing something stupid.

Works like a charm!
    Sound like FFXV to me

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I actually don't want a remake. no reverse things
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To anyone who is genuinely dreading the FFVII remake, let me just say this;

Final Fanstasy VII is, and most likely will always be my favorite FF game, and even with it's flaws, I view it to be perfect the way it is, but I am okay with them remaking the game if they want to. Even if I end up hating the remake, the original FFVII still exists, and always will.

I am okay with remakes of things, and when it comes to movies and shows, I actually find it interesting, especially if it's something I already like, and maybe that's the case for games. There was even a fanmade project on this forum to remake FFVII with a more accurate translation until the member got banned from EoFF for some reason, and I was fully supportive of this, even though there were things I didn't agree with.

So yeah, I'm okay with the remake (and yes, I know what I said in the past).
    Last edited by MJN SEIFER; 12-05-2014 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Because, I made a mistake. Okay!?

As much as I love this game inside and out I have to agree with the OP; I also don't want a remake. The outdated polygonal graphics, awkward translation(at times) are part of what makes this game special to me every time I replay it. Even though an overhaul and update on graphics, dialogue, etc. may be nice, I would still prefer the original.
    "geroeen, pulsa nyet, tolska tanee pre chem"
    "Beauty is a perception tainted by ego;
    Love is an extension of great emotion;
    Fear is the result of uncertainty;
    Sadness is a collection of misery."

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    But as I've stated in other threads in other places, there is one way, and one way only, that a remake of FFVII will happen, and that is if you (yes, YOU) stop buying any and all things that Square Enix makes, until such time as it is announced.

>>> Sound like a plan to me..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

as much as I love FFVII, the movies and spin offs, I disagree with having a remake either.
    In fact I don't agree with any remakes from the seventh Installment. They're perfect the way they are.
    Rather than wasting their funds and energy on an FFVII remake, why not focus on completing Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV and beyond?

I'm okay with remaking the classic FF like what they did to FFIII and FFIV. I'm still waiting for FFVI to be remade (or at least turn into a movie) because it's just as epic as FFVII. Terra and the gang deserves more love!

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Like I said; the orginal game is not affected, so there's nothing wrong with having a remake.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

I'm not adverse to a remake, if I am honest, as it will give people chance to experience the game if they cannot cope with the graphics of yesteryear. However, I do think that Square-Enix needs to pretty much fire all of its staff and start anew. There doesn't seem to be anyone in that bunch who is not completely replaceable now. Time for something fresh and original. For example, a game that actually looks and sounds vaguely interesting.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't know if this thread is some kind of reverse psychology of reverse psychology but I honestly don't want a remake and thought it was cool they were bringing the enhanced PC version on PS4 (just wish I could get it cross-buy on my Vita :/). I used to question those who didn't want a remake but after playing VII so much over the years I realized why I cherish it so much. Hideo Kojima remarked in his 2009 GDC keynote that classic games are created because of their hardware limitations, not in spite of them. I honestly don't think FFVII could be made better by voice acting or an over-the-shoulder camera. I am sad that younger gamers might not ever appreciate it but they should be free to discover their own classics. While I'm known (unintentionally) for strong opinions on this forum, I never ask that others share them, or look down on those who dont.

What I'd rather see is Square remake the *concept* of Final Fantasy VII with all the tools they have today: an RPG that blurs the line between story and gameplay by letting the player interact with their environment and granting control during the intense action scenes. Give us stylish combat that pays homage to the tactical turn-based roots to boot. In any case, I'll be glad to go through the adventure again when it releases on PS4.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

I think there is a lot to be said for the graphical style of the older games to be honest. A lot more than what many are giving credit for. The pre-rendered art offered an ambience that I don't believe 3D games can quite match up to. I cannot quite put my fingers on a descriptor to use in order to try and convey what I mean. There is a sort of sombre-moodiness to games that have pre-rendered backdrops. A hidden depth if you will humour me. I find it very atmospheric; I can say the same thing about the original Resident Evil games.

When they crossed over to a fully immersive 3D environment, there was a sort of artificiality to them. They can look pretty, but something is missing and I find the world a little more hollow and without definitive character. It's a little bit like a sensory overload, there are too many geometric shapes flying at me at once. I can only possibly equate it to technical perspective drawing in comparison to something more cerebral like water colours. Perspective drawing looks technical and whilst excellent - I feel it lacks some sort of soul and character.

Maybe it is just me. Anyone else get a similar flavour in regards to this?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I think there is a lot to be said for the graphical style of the older games to be honest. A lot more than what many are giving credit for. The pre-rendered art offered an ambience that I don't believe 3D games can quite match up to. I cannot quite put my fingers on a descriptor to use in order to try and convey what I mean. There is a sort of sombre-moodiness to games that have pre-rendered backdrops. A hidden depth if you will humour me. I find it very atmospheric; I can say the same thing about the original Resident Evil games.

When they crossed over to a fully immersive 3D environment, there was a sort of artificiality to them. They can look pretty, but something is missing and I find the world a little more hollow and without definitive character. It's a little bit like a sensory overload, there are too many geometric shapes flying at me at once. I can only possibly equate it to technical perspective drawing in comparison to something more cerebral like water colours. Perspective drawing looks technical and whilst excellent - I feel it lacks some sort of soul and character.

Maybe it is just me. Anyone else get a similar flavour in regards to this?
    Absolutely. Can't put my finger on it either, but there's definitely a different feel between 3D and pre-rendered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Agreed as well. No offense to coders but a game just has so much more soul when you have an army of artists cranking out their dreamscapes instead of modeling 3d objects and bumpmapping textures.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I actually don't want a remake. no reverse things

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    A game just has so much more soul when you have an army of artists cranking out their dreamscapes instead of modeling 3d objects and bumpmapping textures.
    Hey, that would save a lot on processor time rendering the background...and you could use more expensive textures on a modern system. So...redrawn, pre-rendered backgrounds would be a thing.

I say redrawn because if you're going to have characters that are more realistically-proportioned than the original (as any remake had better, imo), the backgrounds would then have to be redrawn to fit those proportions. They don't always fit the proportions of the Polygon Characters of the original, to be frank.

This is diverging somewhat, but people don't often bring up the Honeybee Inn, or Don Corneo, or literally all of Wall Market when discussing a remake. Thoughts?