Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Typos and The Internet

Default Typos and The Internet

I really can't stand it when I encounter typos and/or improper english while reading. I have an instinctive need to correct it...I don't know why I'm this way. Verbe tense disagreement is particularly irritating to me.

In the age of the Internet, this becomes something akin to a debilitating illness, since people could give two smurfs about their english when they post online, and many people are typing on a phone, where (once more) two smurfs could, could be given.

How bout you? Do typos/grammar/ending a sentence with a preposition get on your nerves? Are you careful when you type to use proper english?

Aaaand go.
    Last edited by Spooniest; 12-10-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Funny you make a post about typos and you made one.

No, they don't bother me. People should be allowed to write however they like. Unless it's in articles, there is nothing more infuriating to me than a 'serious' news site taking on staff who can't spell well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockharted View Post
    God damn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    I'm not sure this is so much OCD as just being anal retentive...
    Aren't those the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    I'm not sure this is so much OCD as just being anal retentive...
    Aren't those the same thing?
    No.
    Why not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_retentiveness

One seems to be an archaic (Freudian) term for the other...

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Thread title is now typos and the internet, let's get back on track and talk about the topic at hand. Thank you!

I become overwhelmingly annoyed when I post something with a typo in it - especially if it is on Facebook or Twitter.

I don't really care is others have simple typos or grammatical errors as l0ng as it ai'nt liek dis.
    Do you Wanna Build a Snowman?

-= It doesn't have to be a snowman... =-

Blog Entries

typos don't bug me since I make them all the time. But, knowing your there, their and they're, two, to and too and stuff like are essential.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Lockharted View Post
    More than one.

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/owlprint/607/

Ending a sentence with a preposition isn't always wrong. It can be, but that's not always the case. Fact: It's not actually an English rule but a form of linguistic fetishism resulting from remnants of Latin structure influencing certain kinds of stuck-up grammarians.

Also, English should be capitalized, even as an adjective.

Certain things are irksome, but in most contexts they're also easy to ignore. It's really only serious articles with spelling or grammar mistakes (not just typos) that bug me. I let myself slack off in forums and such, though that wasn't always the case.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

Why does anyone smurfing care? Typing errors happen. People are not born knowing how to spell every word in the world, nor should they be expected to. It bothers me much more when people make a big deal about "improper English", whether it is the mispronunciation/incorrect spelling/adopting new uses of language. The majority of my friends are lawyers, librarians and English majors, and they loooooove to snarkily correct people's tiny little errors - the next time I see this happening IRL, I'm going to yell at the lot of them. It may not be my preference how something is phrased, but people should be listened to for what they are saying, not put down because their language is not technically perfect. Also, if you're anything like me, you'll just automatically correct any errors as you are reading them - lucky for some.
    Last edited by Calliope; 12-11-2014 at 12:31 AM. Reason: "Snarky" was the word I was looking for, thanks Sarah.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It bugs me when people point out typos in something not in a professional instance, or between private letters or emails of correspondence or something like that. Someone did this to me once in a private correspondence at work in a particularly snarky and rude way, and I lost all respect for them for it.

I think that typos in a professional situation are pretty unacceptable, but other than that, human beings err, and so do the contemporary technology devices many of us post on these days.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

y eah i ocashion aly make sum typos .

No one did that, so I got it out of the way. I try my best and correct if I spot my own mistakes (if I am able to edit things). I don't go nuts if I see a minor error with other people, though. I just can't stand it when it is clear that the person typing things doesn't even try. It's not about doing things correctly for me, but blatant laziness.

EDIT: At work it really gets my goat. Again, not anything minor. However, there is an employee that types emails in TEXT SPEAK and no one calls this person out. I have no idea why this is allowed to happen, especially since the company has grown significantly in the past years and is starting policies that are typical in the average workplace.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

As someone with a degree in teaching high school English, I don't care one bit if people make typing errors. Mistakes are going to happen to everyone. Sometimes people will say "their" instead of "they're". Sometimes people will mispell a word. Sometimes people will will have repeated words in their sentences. Why does it matter?

It's not like people have their own personal editors to comb through everything they type. What you're going to get in informal writing through forum posts, facebook posts, emails, etc is essentially the same as rough draft writing. When writing a first draft of a paper or something, you need to have time away from that writing to separate yourself enough from it in order to read it with a more impartial eye. Otherwise, your mind knows what the writing is supposed to look like, so it's extremely easy to overlook things.

Long story short, typing mistakes don't matter to me, and it's pretty rude to try to invalidate someone's ideas because they made a grammatical mistake.

Edit: Stuff like text speak is a different story though. It annoys the heck out of me if people intentionally type something in a way that it becomes a chore to try to comprehend what they are trying to say.

Something occurred to me the other day...my mom uses the phrase "BTW" in her audible conversation, even though saying "by the way" is fewer syllables...? I wonder what verbal tics I've picked up from chatspeak...

Anyway, it was never my intention to suggest bringing it up to someone. I'm just saying when you're reasonably aware of things like punctuation, verb tense and things like that, it can become irritating to oneself, personally, to see them. I don't jump to making value judgements about it and bringing it up unless it's something really really bad, like, "it makes it hard to comprehend what they're saying" bad. That's on a whole different level. Damn, EoFF. You scary...

10 WORKAHOLIC
    20 WRITER
    30 GOTO 10

The ending sentences with prepositions thing was a joke...I barely know what they are.