Thread: Fans of old school Sonic and Rocket Knight

Default Fans of old school Sonic and Rocket Knight

Freedom Planet

I guess I've been doing this a lot over the past year or so. Random games come out, or kickstarters get started, they catch my eye, or I get my hands on them and thoroughly enjoy them; and then I feel compelled to share that joy with others who may also find something to love in it

I give you Freedom Planet

At first glance it looks like a clone of old(good) Sonic the Hedgehog games. The characters play like Knuckles, Rocket Knight, and a handful of others. There's supposedly quite a few available. I've managed to unlock one, who plays like nothing I've ever played, and the first two you start with. A cat thing who can ride a motorcycle and plays a lot like Knuckles. And a dragon hybrid thing that plays a lot like Rocket Knight with some sprinkling of Sonic in certain situations

It's a really well done game attempting to capture everything lovable about some of the best platformer games of the 16 bit generation. It's not really as fast as a Sonic game, but I guess that's not really a detraction, as Ristar, Rocket Knight, Mario and all the rest were never as fast as Sonic, and Sonic's speed was actually a turn-off to a lot of potential fans. People have said "If Treasure had made a Sonic game: this would be it". I can't really argue against them

There's ... above average? voice acting, and a competent story thrown in to justify everything. I found the characters fairly endearing. They're cute and enjoyable, I don't find them insulting or gag-worthy. It reminds me of the good Sonic cartoon with the freedom fighters. And though I never got into the new My Little Pony show, I imagine I feel about these characters the way those fans feel about those characters. So they'd probably like the story bit, but you can turn that off and just play through the levels like any regular platformer from those days

It's available on GOG and Steam (currently 50% off on GOG)

GOG: http://www.gog.com/game/freedom_planet

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/248310/

There's also a demo available on their website for both PC and Mac if you're curious: http://freedomplanet.galaxytrail.com/

I played the demo to see just how much they capture what they're aiming for. And watched the trailer on YouTube. (And dear god do they get a lot of irrational hate on YouTube for some really retarded reasons)

I fell in love, and bought it on GOG for half price. I'm about 4 levels in, and still in love. It's not amazing, but it is super endearing. So if you ever enjoyed those types of games, and appreciated how Shovel Knight encapsulated the 8-Bit era games, this one does a pretty good job doing the same for 16-Bit era games.

I leave you with the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMEmcVRNZvI

(I still have no idea how to embed a YouTube video. Sorry
    Edit: Nevermind. Thanks Rez!)
    Last edited by Vyk; 12-08-2014 at 08:30 PM.

I believe the tag is <Youtube>(The part after = in the youtube url)</youtube>, only with square brackets instead of angle brackets.

And thank you for sharing this!
    I watched an LP of the first two stages and it looks great -- another game for my Steam wishlist.

Nicely done...good to know there are games like this out there, still.

Alright. I've almost beaten the game already, but I really couldn't put it down for some reason. It has to be said that the plot for this game is way better than it has any right to be. There is murder and torture depicted in this game. And it's handled surprisingly well..

The levels are fun to explore, and the boss fights are insane. The first few are ridiculously easy, but I have no shame in saying I've gotten a couple of game overs after the mid-game was over. Easily one of the best budget games I've ever played. Still not entirely sure it's worth $15, but it is beyond worth $7.50; for my value at any rate

I'll definitely be playing it again, considering the plot seems to vary depending on who's perspective you're playing from. I guess there really aren't as many playable characters as I thought there was going to be, but that doesn't cheapen the game in the slightest

So I'm not sure if anyone else is going to find this as entertaining as me, but I'm super satisfied at least~

Well, I picked it up about an hour ago and played through the first two stage as Carol, exploring everywhere as I went along, and I'm definitely enjoying it. I am rather sad that Lilac seems to be a much superior character, though.

I was also beyond amused how much the first boss looks like the stage 1-1 boss in Ristar. XD

And I can't seem to play as the Torque. This may be unforgivable. >: |

Blog Entries

This looks like a neat mixture of a bunch of games that I consider great! I'll have to pick it up eventually.