Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Game of the Year

Runner Up: Fantasy Life
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I have Tales of Xillia 2, but not played it yet so I can't judge it. As a Tales fan (and Xillia is the best in the franchise so far) it would probably be high on the list.

So I'll have to give mine to Shadow of Mordor. The moment to moment orc-battering gameplay is extremely tight and enjoyable, and the Nemesis system is the biggest step forward for big budget games we've seen in a long time. It's not often you get true risk taking an innovation in 'AAA' games, as stuff like Assassin's Creed or (disappointingly) even Watch Dogs have proven.

But Shadow of Mordor tries it and nails it. Fantastic game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Of the new games I played this year, which is notably few, Far Cry 4 is probably the top one. Like many have mentioned for themselves, it just hasn't been a stand-out year for me.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I am Bread.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Goat Simulator

Nice to see Xillia 2 get mentioned a few times even if its not anyone's actual choice. My girlfriend and I super enjoyed it. I don't think it was quite as cohesive as the first one, but it was a lot more fleshed out. The story was very scattered, but much better done. Other than Milla being immature and the weird return of a silent protagonist. Especially considering all his dialog was voiced, they just want you to play through the game a second time to hear it. But damn I still love that fighting engine~ And watching all those characters develop even more, and have deeper more meaningful interactions and views into their lives and everything was such a treat. Considering how bland and cookie-cutter my last few attempts at generic JRPGs have been, it was a delicious breath of fresh air (both games) even among other Tales games <3

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

For games released in 2014, going with Shadow of Mordor. But games I played in 2014, Bioshock Infinite is a beautiful game.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

i didnt play many new games this year. so i have to say Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha sapphire (i understand theres probably alot better games but i havent layed much this year )

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Purely based on hours played alone:

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
    Towerfall: Ascension

Both awesome games. Looking forward to playing Shovel Knight as well, looks like a game right up my so-called alley.

Other than that:
    Little Big Planet 3
    Mario Kart 8
    The Evil Within

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Earth Defense Force 2025 came out this year, so yeah, obviously that.

Outside of the objective winner, it's a tough one, though. Shadow of Mordor, Xenonauts, Reaper of Souls, The Sims 4, and Distant Worlds: Universe were all fairly great.

Plus there's things I have to get around to, like Dead Rising 3, Wasteland 2, Dead State, The Talos Principle, and Warlords of Draenor.

I think I'd have to give it to Endless Legend though. God damn that is how to 4x.

Honorable mention to Sleepy Dogs Definitive Edition though. I'd give it to that if it was a new game. Or Suikoden II if it wasn't a re-release, obvs.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    I think I'd have to give it to Endless Legend though. God damn that is how to 4x.
    Well, my attempts to spend no money during the Steam sale have been a dismal failure today.