Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Persona 4 Golden, a rant

Default Persona 4 Golden, a rant

So having finally acquired access to a small list of (really good) Vita games with my VitaTV, the top of that list being Persona 4: Golden. Which I also recently acquired

I had played through about 40+ hours of the PS2 Persona 4 game, and was absolutely in love with it. I was really sad when our PS2 started having power issues and would cut out in the middle of games. Making further attempts at progress pretty pointless when sometimes you'd be forced to go through an hour or so of events without a chance to save, only to have the power cut out a good portion into it. Sucks having to repeat large areas of content. And I'll forever miss that game (Though I heard a rumor that it's getting its own PSN release early next year, so...)

Anyway, Golden supposedly has tons of extra content. New anime scenes, new areas, new events, new social links, new characters, added costumes, a new ending, etc.

One of the changes however, are a couple of "new" voice actors (relatively. From my perspective anyway. Though in both instances I guess these new voice actors have actually done more work on the series, performing in both the anime, and the fighting game of Persona 4. Only the original Persona 4 had different actors)

One voice actor damn near nailed an identical style. If I hadn't been told it was different, I'd have presumed it was the same voice actor who was just barely unable to recapture their previous performance. But close enough for it to not matter

...the other voice actor however, is a complete departure from their PS2 depiction

Chie Satonaka

The group's tomboy and cheerleader

Most people tend to like the new voice actress. But for me, it's ear-splittingly bad and annoying. It almost ruins the game for me. I kind of have to struggle through all of her scenes. Hearing Teepo's voice from Tales of Xillia in a game set closer to reality is really jarring. And I think that's part of the problem. It's a voice. I get the impression that aside from the animal mascot character in the game (Teddie), everyone else is voice acting a character. But Chie's voice actress is actually doing a "voice" rather than a "character". That is to say, she's purposely manipulating her own voice, instead of just manipulating her inflections as an actor

Like Tom Cruis trying to sound like Popeye. Its just so unrealistic in comparison to the original Chie. Sure she had a more mellow and deeper voice, but it was a real voice. Something a real person would have. She was calmer, friendlier, her inflections were realistic, her pitch was in real human decibels

This new Chie misses all her proper inflections, and makes herself sound like a beach bimbo. She's hyper and high pitched and so far off from a real relatable person it's just become a charicature. She's not a real character. She's a stereotypical anime trope of the generic and over-used hyper-active annoying anime side-character. And I hear I'm in the minority and people actually like it, because "it's closer to the original Japanese character". But I listened to the Japanese dub. That Chie just sounded happy. Not nauseating. It puts a whole different spin on her character, and ruins that character in the process

Something I loved about this game was that the characters were characters, and not so much the typical anime and JRPG tropes you always see. I mean sure, they probably still fit some archetypes, but not the typical over used and annoying ones. They were realistic and relatable

I'm told that after a certain major event involving her best friend that her voice gets more tolerable, that maybe the director finally took note and came in and had her tone it down a couple notches, and I'm super looking forward to when that happens

But I'm still just extremely sad and miss my old Chie. I was actually in the process of romancing her in my original playthrough

In this game, with her whiny high pitched shrieking... I wouldn't dream of it

I just had to rant before going to bed. I hear all the extras in this game make it far more than worth it. And with the prospect of her character getting less annoying soon, it'll be even more worth it. But I'll still miss you, OG Chie~<3

Rant over

Anyone ever have any similar experiences, or are able to relate to this one? I know there are other instances out there where voice actors or character portrayals or changes in ports/remakes have ruined some things. Its a sad state of affairs

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

While I did like her voice in the PS2 version I feel like the new actress is more "Chie." Chie is a hyperactive teenage girl and it's probably more appropriate that she sounds like one. Have you heard teenage girls talk?

I've heard humans talk. I think it would have been more appropriate for the voice actress to use her own voice, and display that hyperactivity. I think half my problem is the shrieky high pitch'ness, which is not normal. It completely stands out from the rest of the cast. Everyone else has normal human voices

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Have you seen the interviews? That is pretty much her voice.

I still think she sounds better as Chie than Agnés, but that overly breathy voice was most likely a direction quirk. I think Erin Fitzgerald is actually a very good VA.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Video examples?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

high pitched voices on anime (or anime game) characters make me want to cut myself
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    high pitched voices on anime (or anime game) characters make me want to cut myself
    High pitched voices usually make me want to cut myself even IRL. But somehow Chie's voice seems not that bad to me really.

Blog Entries

I didn't know that Teddie had a change of actors until my friend told me. Chie, however, was noticeable right from the beginning.

I like her new voice, but she oftentimes inflects words wrong, so it clashes with the rest of the characters. You can tell that she was re-recorded just from that alone. Other than that, I have no real problems with her.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

my messages keep getting deleted before posting. yay for mobile browsing with super limited caching ability. thanks for listening to the rant. i had intended to reply proper but it is not meant to be right now

Edit: I should note I have nothing against Miss Fitzgerald as a voice actress and actually quite like some of her characters. And more than likely if I had met Chie with her as the voice actress from the start I probably wouldn't have as much of a problem. Or any problem.

Only thing is that new Chie even sounds like old Chie sometimes. So I know it's a problem with the directing. They want Chie to sound like a spazz. Old Chie was calmer and more level headed sounding. Insecure uneasy and only sometimes a bit spastic. But not really over the top. And I knew people in my teenage years just like that Chie. I've known people in my adult years like that Chie. I've never known any person like the new Chie. Only characters. Generic annoying tropey characters. She reminds me of Yuffee. Rikku. Excel.

Oh well thanks for listening to the rants. I'm on my phone at lunch at work so I can't provide video evidence at the moment but I can probably dig something up when I get home
    Last edited by Vyk; 12-13-2014 at 03:40 AM.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    How much anime do you watch?! Only out of concern, because you might need to go to your nearest AED for a blood transfusion!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Not a lot. But don't worry, even if I did, I have an extremely strong willpower.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I feel that old Chie's voice sounded better. The new Chie is a better actress, and fits the character more though.

Something I loved about this game was that the characters were characters, and not so much the typical anime and JRPG tropes you always see. I mean sure, they probably still fit some archetypes, but not the typical over used and annoying ones. They were realistic and relatable
    As much as I love P4, I gotta disagree with you on the bolded part. The female cast in particular were very much typical anime tropes. They can all be found in many harem anime.
    "Repent your sins through death!" - Ramirez - Skies of Arcadia

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Shield View Post
    I feel that old Chie's voice sounded better. The new Chie is a better actress, and fits the character more though.

As much as I love P4, I gotta disagree with you on the bolded part. The female cast in particular were very much typical anime tropes. They can all be found in many harem anime.
    He mentioned reducing characters to tropes. Yes, the P4 characters may utilize some tropes, but there's a difference between a character being just a trope or cliché, and a character being an actual character/person beyond that. The characters in the games, due to their nature (getting to deeply know them in the passing school year), are never shallow tropes, and there's always many layers and nuances to them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I haven't played either game, but I can relate to a new voice actress driving you mad. When I heard Linda Ballantyne's voice as Sailor Moon for the first time after getting used to Terri in the role I wanted to tear my ears off. I did get used to her after a while, she just didn't hold a candle to Terri.

Oooh yes I feel you there. I haven't played P4G yet (honestly, I don't really feel like doing so anywhere soon - I'm more of a mainline SMT person nowadays) but I played Persona 4 Arena recently, and no offence to Erin Fitzgerald, but she's just nowhere near as...Chie-like.

Interested in how do you feel about Marie? I hear a lot of contrasting things about her from the wider Persona community.