View Poll Results: What you complaining about, EoFF?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Why does it take 8 years to not finish a video game? I... :O I don't even

12 52.17%
  • [Insert IP Here] is not getting the attention it deserves, why haven't they remade this or that

4 17.39%
  • Modern consoles are like toasters that make the bread from scratch, i.e., awesome but impractical

0 0%
  • IRRRMAGIRD REMAKE FF7 ALREADY D:<

0 0%
  • Write-In (Specify) for the creative types

7 30.43%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your #1 complaint about SE?

1. Waiting almost a decade for a game is absolutely insane.

2. KH2 came out on PS2, KH3 doesn't even have a confirmed release date and it's missed a whole console generation. Stop focusing on convoluted spin offs and remixes and just focus on the main title please.

3. Mobile games, IOS games, applications....me no like.

4. Games that only come out in Japan

5. I want more FF VIII related stuff (will never happen though)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    They need better management and coordination.
    This right here. Granted, I have no idea where they could find said management.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Their fans.
    Oh, the irony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

What I don't like is that a lot of IPs held by SE's subsidiaries are either on indefinite hiatus or are just cancelled entirely.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

That they think one game per console generation is enough.

They need to make games more efficiently, even if it means dropping in-house engines forever. They also need to start understanding their customers.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

As I've said numerous times, my #1 complaint is still that the writing for most of their games is getting progressively worse. Not that Square was ever the pinnacle of good writing but I feel with each new installment they push trying to be clever and unconventional with their plots and twists that its hard to take their games seriously anymore. They've become like M. Night Shamyaloin in that they are constantly trying to recapture their old glory of mind blowing twists that they are not just thinking outside of the box, but outside the realm of good taste.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    They're stuck in the late 90's/early 2000's and haven't realised gaming has moved on.
    Wha?! Noooo. If anything, they've moved on too quickly and left behind the greatness of that era.
    I should put it another way. They're still using the same old idea that having the best graphics is their USP, which is why it takes forever for games to be released and why it makes losses on other titles like Hitman, Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs despite each one selling millions. Gamers have never given a trout about graphics. Note that the PS1, PS2 and Wii all won their generations. Note the success of Minecraft. It's ridiculous and Square needs to wake up.

True that a lot of their modernisation is the wrong kind - smurfing mobile games, microtransactions and whatnot. When I say modernise I don't mean their apparent goal to have their own Candy Crush. I meant for them to look at the likes of Minecraft, Dark Souls 1, it's own bloody Bravely Default and the success they've all had and why. I mean for it to have a look at what the likes of Telltale and Obsidian are up to. Just to stop pumping time and money into huge titles and then thinking mobile is a good way to supplement that.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I should put it another way. They're still using the same old idea that having the best graphics is their USP, which is why it takes forever for games to be released and why it makes losses on other titles like Hitman, Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs despite each one selling millions. Gamers have never given a trout about graphics. Note that the PS1, PS2 and Wii all won their generations. Note the success of Minecraft. It's ridiculous and Square needs to wake up.
    Many people do not play stuff because of the graphics - I heard them and I read them. Even I, an NES player, want a new game that has graphics fitting our technological advance sometimes or at least wonder about them. It is no game breaker for me but it is present from time to time.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Not developing your own engine for every new game saves a lot of money. You don't have to have the best looking game of the generation in order to have one that keeps up with the generation's average.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I've always had a problem with companies putting graphic fidelity over style and substance, and the disgusting gamers that agree that graphics are everything. I'll always prefer an easy to create stylized game with more thought put into writing and controls rather than chucking everything into graphics

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

After mulling this question over for some time, I find myself at a very odd conclusion. I think SE needs to show handhelds more love. I know this is ironic, considering endeavors like Bravely Default, which has largely redeemed JRPGs in the eyes of the gaming public, but I still think it's not enough compared to the previous era. I realize a lot is going on on the mobile market, which isn't bad - I've tried some of those and really enjoyed most of them - but you have two dedicated handheld gaming platforms just waiting to be explored further. It's awesome that Bravely is becoming a 3DS series, I really have a lot of hope in it, but I was hoping that just maybe we could get those FFV and FFVI remakes in the style of FFIV DS, but those are minor. We'll soon see FF Explorers here, so I think the 3DS is safe. I'm REALLY worried about the Vita, though. Last generation, SE Publisged quite a bit of awesome titles on the PSP. Now, what does the Vita get, other than X/X-2 HD? You have this huge console here, all in portable format, with wonderful HD graphics. There's a ginormous potential in this device still largely untapped. Why not give us more games like Crisis Core, or perhaps some new Tactics games? On that note, where's FFXII HD on Vita? I browsed the net, people are still clamoring for it. Where is all the handheld love we had so much of last generation?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Easily the development time. I think a lot of the other problems would be solved if they just released a real FF game every other year at least. Sequels don't count.

After that, the writing. Not the dialogue writing - I like the conversations that are had between characters. But the actual scenarios and plot itself. That's the stuff that needs work.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Stop thinking about what will make you the most money or address specific critiques from fans and the press, and focus on making the best overall gaming experiences you can. Create from the heart, not from the wallet.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum