View Poll Results: Is it...

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too big

0 0%
  • Much too big, it's ridiculous that FF7 isn't about classic back trauma

4 36.36%
  • He swung out from under a collapsing plate with that thing on his back!? Nuh uh

2 18.18%
  • It's Aerith, not Aeris

1 9.09%
  • That's stupid!

1 9.09%
  • You're ugly

2 18.18%
  • "Buster" sword?

1 9.09%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How big is Cloud's sword

Boco

Quote Originally Posted by Newmani View Post
    Y-you mean... You're the ultimate blacksmith?! Holy cow!

Eh, I'll take your word for it then. But there's no way in Heaven or Earth that thing's made of steel. Maybe it's some kind of lightweight mythical ore or something of that nature but not even Damascus steel can cut through a foot of concrete like a hot knife through butter. I have no clue what it is but I sure want a sword made of that stuff!
    Even being made of titanium (which is ~45% lighter than steel) the Buster Sword would still likely top 200 lbs. But...what if it were made of carbon nanotubes and also ignored the fact that the Buster Sword is noted in-game as being too heavy for regular humans to easily lift? Then we'd be on to something!

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Well, even a 20lb sword is too heavy for an ordinary human to fight with effectively.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Well, even a 20lb sword is too heavy for an ordinary human to fight with effectively.
    Cloud is all jacked up on Mako though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, it's all about the Mako. How many people have actually held that sword? Angeal, Zack, Cloud... anyone else in particular? Naturally whoever made the sword would be in there somewhere.

It seems to me that you have to consider the fact that when Tifa, with the right material, can lift up the heaviest of enemies and suplex them... a sword is child's play, really.

Which brings us on to the next question: Who is the strongest FF character based on what they actually show themselves doing in the game? Tifa must be right up there in that regard.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

The Buster Sword is not heavy at all. Maybe we would have problems with it so it is heavy for us but it is not nearly as heavy as people think. Dissidia's only canonical stuff are the small details.

Contributions

Perhaps include some useful supporting information in your post?

Like what? Cloud in Dissidia said it in a cutscene. There is nothing more to add. Except you want to know if it was Tuesday when he said it and that is unknown.

Contributions

Knowing that it isn't heavy in Cloud's opinion is considerably different than saying it isn't objectively heavy. Context is important. The way you wrote it it sounded like you actually knew how much it weighed.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Which brings us on to the next question: Who is the strongest FF character based on what they actually show themselves doing in the game? Tifa must be right up there in that regard.
    Interesting...

I suppose it'd be Tifa (for Meteodrive/Meteor Strike), then probably Cloud for just being able to lift that thing...when I think about it, with the possible exception of the leg strength necessary for Barrett and Cid to jump as high as they do during "Catastrophe" and "Boost Jump/Hyper Jump/Dragon Dive," I don't really know if any of the other limit breaks involve a lot of physical strength on the chracters' part. There's "Death Gigas" but that's not on the same scale as the above.

So so from strongest to weakest, Tifa, Cloud, Cid, Barrett, then everybody else, I'll wager.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Knowing that it isn't heavy in Cloud's opinion is considerably different than saying it isn't objectively heavy. Context is important. The way you wrote it it sounded like you actually knew how much it weighed.
    The way I wrote it sounds nothing like what you think as if it is unequivocally and exactly this. The context was "it is not as heavy as it looks but might still be heavy for us using the statement from Dissidia". There was nothing implying the exact weight or that it was just "light for Cloud" and letting Cloud say this already shows that it is made to answer something because "just for Cloud alone" would not really say anything which was not the intention when they scripted it. As if they let him say "well, in my opinion it is not heavy (even though it is 100 kg as people might assume while looking at it)". It says it is just not as heavy as people think when they look at it. Like a christmas tree. Still it can be as heavy as a normal sword (20 kg? I really don't know, I am bad at this) that not everyone can wield normally. So, just saying it is not as heavy because Cloud said something does not automatically lead to the conclusion that the mentioned thing was the weight. It is just one possible assumption - and a very odd one with me mentioning Dissidia.

So, well, that is it.:/
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 12-19-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

80 pounds, apparently. That's about 36kg. I'm sure in Gaia they probably have some special material they can use for making such a weapon that makes it lighter than the one MAN AT ARMS put together.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

We oughtn't forget that Cloud was in the military, for starters (I mean he at least completed enough training to become an MP), and then he got hopped up on Mako and got injected with Jenova cells, so it isn't as though he could be expected to abide by the limits of normal human strength.

From a design standpoint I just find it obnoxiously huge. The programmers must've thought so too, because he pulls it out of nowhere multiple times.