Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

On that Legolas bridge scene, I literally imagined it as a QTE event in a video game with a bunch of on-screen button presses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    Third, Smaug's been hoarding unimaginable wealth within it for two centuries. I mean, there's enough gold in there to take a Scrooge McDuck-style swim in, to say nothing of the special treasures like objects made of mithril (remember that the mail vest Bilbo gets is worth more than the entire Shire) and the Arkenstone. Quite aside from any value in the fortress itself, it's totally worth a raid, either for personal wealth or to fund your armies for an extraordinary period of time.
    Bilbo's vest was also a relatively minor treasure. A suit of combat mail for an elvish prince too young to be seriously considered for combat (much like the armor Pippin eventually acquired as the Guard of the Citadel, which was made for a young Faramir). Yet the craftsmanship and material make it worth more than a small country all by itself.

Smaug's treasure is utterly enormous. Mountains of gold, and hallways filled with armor and weaponry valued at just as much.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Can we talk about how horrific Dain was, both in character and in CGI? The graphics were absolutely atrocious, and they must have known this because they didn't let us see his face for longer than half a second at any given moment. Also his lines were terrible, and he was all-around just a bad character.

I love Billy Connelly as much as the next person, but my god, what a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    they must have known this because they didn't let us see his face for longer than half a second at any given moment.
    You'll just have to wait for the extended version!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    On that Legolas bridge scene, I literally imagined it as a QTE event in a video game with a bunch of on-screen button presses.
    You mean to say it wasn't?

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Try bringing a controller to the theater next time. Let us know how it goes. Maybe the scene is different if you fail the sequence?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Try bringing a controller to the theater next time. Let us know how it goes. Maybe the scene is different if you fail the sequence?
    I looked it up online. You just get a game over screen with Paul Eiding's voice telling you not to change the future.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

... dude.

Spoilers.

Watched it and loved it. Nothing more to add.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Just got back. Started out awesome 10/10 because it was a bunch of awesome massive fights between EVERYBODY

then (SPOILER)everyone I liked started to die and Legolas climbed up a bunch of falling rocks and I'm sorry I know he's Legolas and that this is fantasy but it was ridiculous and bothered me a lot

The ending kind of redeemed it a little but what the hell I recall The Hobbit being a fun and happy book? Then again it's been a while since I read it
    I saw it last night with the girl I'm dating, I wasn't particularly glued to the screen if I'm honest. Smaug dies in like 20 minutes of the start of the film, frankly that should have been at the end of the 2nd film and not carried over to the 3rd it pretty much just felt out of place, a bad cutting point which means poor choice by the editors and producers. As for the battle with Smaug? Bard does a great job of being half way between Aragorn and the Legolas portrayed in the LOTR trilogy.

As to the question of the 5 armies, I figured the initial 4 were: The Elves, The Humans, The Dwarves and the Orcs of the Necropolis with the Orcs of Angamar being the 5th. Though you could consider the combined forces of the Eagles, Beorn and Radagast an army.

The battle between the forces of light and the 9 in the Necropolis was actually one of my favourite battles in the film. Ironically, not the final battle.

Legolas doing the climbing up the falling stones looked so terribly done? Also what is he? full of helium? Is he somehow lighter than air? I understood the fact that he was able to walk atop the snow in the LOTR trilogy because that was grounded in that he was light on his feet. There is light on your feet and there's light on your feet however!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Steve there are no places in Middle-Earth called Necropolis or Angamar. Stop making things up and trying to pretend you know what you're talking about

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Steve there are no places in Middle-Earth called Necropolis or Angamar. Stop making things up and trying to pretend you know what you're talking about
    smurf you for picking up on me being tired as trout when typing that (I got home at 7:30AM!)

Aside from that I clearly meant the place where the Nine were gathering their power, where the Necromancer was by the Necropolis comment.

As for Angamar, the place to the north, I cannot remember the spelling of, where the Orcs were coming from.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

u wot steve

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Aside from that I clearly meant the place where the Nine were gathering their power, where the Necromancer was by the Necropolis comment.

As for Angamar, the place to the north, I cannot remember the spelling of, where the Orcs were coming from.
    Dol Guldur. Or Mordor in general. Minas Ithil/Minas Morgul for the Witch King's actual seat of power and where the Nazgul primarily operated from. Necropolis is a level 75 map in Path of Exile.

Angmar. It's the name of a former kingdom led by the Witch King. Its purpose was to bring about the ruin of the kingdom of Arnor. At the time of the trilogy, it had ceased existing. Angamar is a location in Elder Scrolls.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Saw this today.

I wanted to love it as I did the other 2, but I really feel that it was just 2 hours of fighting. Which is okay and all, but I mean come on, once you've seen one you've seen them all man.

And yeah, Smaug was the best part of this. I really feel that it didn't need to a be a trilogy... it should have been 2 films at most. This last one just felt like OTT filler.