Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Five Armies

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Yet, somehow, this film has a 7.8/10 rating on IMDb and I'm a bit about that.
    It would be a decent movie if we stopped pretending that it was a LotR or Hobbit movie.
    I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment. Most of my points were nothing to do with the fact it was a Hobbit movie, they were just really bad Things That Were Done.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Finally saw this at The New Parkway, which is a casual independently owned theater in our area. The theater is pretty cool but the movie was terrible. Worse than I could have guessed. The CGI was overused and horrendous. Legolas and his physics-defying feats was too over-the-top and the subplot with his dad & dead mom was unnecessary (and that little bit about Aragorn at the end was like wtf? He's like 8 years old at this time). Tauriel was one of the worst characters ever and I can now firmly say that that actress is terrible ((SPOILER)and Kili's death was all her fault). Thorin's 'dragon gold sickness' was stupid and that scene with him falling into the floor of gold was one of the worst things I've ever seen on film. That was Spider Man 3 pimp walk bad.

There were only two things I liked: 1. Bilbo was excellently played and Martin Freeman owned every scene he was in (and Bilbo was not in it enough). 2. I actually liked the fight scene with the White Council to rescue Gandalf and to see Saruman and Elrond fight like badasses, and the whole rebirth of Sauron. I wish Galadriel had fought too though. I'll also give some credit to the opening fight between Bard and Smaug though Bard was pretty stupid through the rest of the movie.

It's sad to see Peter Jackson pull a Lucas with this prequel trilogy but that is 100% what he did.
    Last edited by Del Murder; 02-09-2015 at 06:06 PM.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Tauriel was one of the worst characters ever and I can now firmly say that that actress is terrible.
    One thing I'll disagree with. I think she was no better or worse an actress than, say, Liv Tyler. In other words she was told to play an annoying romantic interest that is in places she was never written into by Tolkien, and suffered for it immensely. I dislike almost every female character Jackson worked on, with the exception of, perhaps, Éowyn.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

What about Rosie Cotton, you monster?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Did she get a line in the end?

Articles

I think she says "Goodnight lads" when they leave the Green Dragon in Fellowship.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Clearly, in that case, she is not done justice as she should have had more lines. Which she would have got if Jackson added in the Scouring of the Shire.

Articles

Yes but if he'd added in the Scouring of the Shire you just know he'd have had Rosie in a swordfight with Grima Wormtongue.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Further proving my point, if anything.

Articles

But he didn't!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Tauriel was one of the worst characters ever and I can now firmly say that that actress is terrible.
    One thing I'll disagree with. I think she was no better or worse an actress than, say, Liv Tyler. In other words she was told to play an annoying romantic interest that is in places she was never written into by Tolkien, and suffered for it immensely. I dislike almost every female character Jackson worked on, with the exception of, perhaps, Éowyn.
    I'd say that was the case if she was annoying in one role, but she was also the most annoying character on Lost.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I'd say that was the case if she was annoying in one role, but she was also the most annoying character on Lost.
    TRUTH

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Let's put it this way: I might agree that a character is annoying, but I never found the actress herself annoying. I feel she acted out the scenes in appropriate ways for someone who was instructed to act out those scenes (for both Lost and The Hobbit films).

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I went into it with low expectations and I thought I had fully prepared myself for disappointment. I was wrong. It was worse than I could have imagined and it was heartbreaking to witness. I left the theater honestly upset to the point of tears. I thought it was so so bad. And yeah it sucked as an adaptation, that stung the most, how PJ did such a disservice to the book. But it was flat out a terrible movie. It would be one thing if his changes made for a good film but Jesus Christ it was a wreck. I just don't understand.

I haven't seen this yet, but the first movie was AWFUL and the second movie was pretty bad, so surely there weren't high hopes here?

Completely unbelievable CGI fight scenes are truly the worst part of any movie like this, so I'll probably think it's really dumb.