View Poll Results: What's the worst minigame in FFX?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Monster Hunting

0 0%
  • Lightning Dodging

26 50.98%
  • Butterfly Catching

6 11.76%
  • Blitzball

7 13.73%
  • Chocobo Dodger/Catcher

10 19.61%
  • Other

2 3.92%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worst Final Fantasy X Minigame

I would rather dodge lightning 500 times than catch butterflies. That is the main reason I have only powered up Kimahri's ultimate weapon once.
    "geroeen, pulsa nyet, tolska tanee pre chem"
    "Beauty is a perception tainted by ego;
    Love is an extension of great emotion;
    Fear is the result of uncertainty;
    Sadness is a collection of misery."

Neither my friend (who can do anything) nor I have ever successfully completed butterfly catching. Everything else sucks, but we can do it.

I lied, Blitzball doesn't suck, you suck, Blitzball is the best. Also monster catching is awesome and I wish it was in every FF.

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Lightning Dodging. I can enjoy all other minigames but Lightning Dodging. If it just hadn't required you to do them in a row it would've been fine, albeit even more of a stupid waste of time.

Monster Catching was an awesome sidequest.

Blitzball is one of the most fun minigames in the series. Next to Triple Triad and maybe Chocobo Hot & Cold.

Butterfly Catching is mostly memorization, but I personally never had issues with it. It sucks that you can leave the screen afterwards and lose your winning run. But the minigame itself is okay.

Catcher Chocobo is fun. Maybe it's because I played this game a lot as a kid before I even knew about the special reward for getting 0:0.0, maybe because it's so algorithmic and theoretically predictable that I can blame just about all my failures on my own lack of skill, maybe it's because I just love chocobos. But this minigame is pretty damn fun for me.

But I cannot defend Lightning Dodging. I just can't. Which is why I don't do it. Problem solved.

Blitzball. I simply hate it!

Actually none of them are too bad. Lightning dodging can be done within 20 minutes or so, but I do agree that it's not a very engaging minigame. I think it took me an hour or so for the butterfly catching the one and only time I've done it. Compared to common RPG grinds that's not that bad in terms of time investment.

I'd rather have these quests than a 1/1000 chest spawn, or farming a certain monster praying for the RNG to cooperate.

Wow, very surprised at all the hate for Blitzball. Not only was it the finest minigame in FFX, but arguably in the whole series. The only one that could rival it is Triple Triad imo.

Back to the topic, I'd say Lightning Dodging. Never had much of a problem with Chocobo Racing or Butterfly Catching, but the lightning was just so damn tedious.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Chalk me down to the "Blitzball is awesome" crowd.

Lightning Dodge for the lose.

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

Lightning Dodge. Easy. Butterfly catching is difficult, but ultimately possible. Blitzball's only problem is time. Soooo much time taken up.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

I loathed the lightning dodge. I gave up and said "piss on it...I'm done"

Normally when its hard for me to get something I want. I turn to using cheats. I don't see anything wrong with it as most FF games are not online so its not hurting anyone and I just want to have fun.

On the PS2 version I used a Game Shark or a Code Breaker to get all Celestial Weapons. I used a Save Editor or Hyperkin's Game Genie PC mod tool for the PS3 version.

FFXIV Character

Temaia Aetherwynn (Behemoth)

Lightning dodging. Get out.

also I loved Blitzball

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm very suspicious that Lightning Dodging is used as a form of torture in some dictatorships.

In all seriousness though, lightning dodging isn't a mini-game. A game is meant to be fun. How is dodging (and failing) 200 strikes IN A ROW a fun use of my time?

Butterfly catching is also dull as hell, but at least it is not as difficult as lightning dodging. Chocobo dodger is worse and is very hard, but at least it isn't so soul-crushing as lightning dodging because of the Chocobos. I've completed Chocobo dodger once, and was intensely happy after it.

I used to hate Blitzball, not helped by the poor introduction to the mini-game with the Luca Goers. But once you get used to it and know who the good players are to scout, it actually becomes mildly enjoyable. I only ever play it enough to get Wakka's stuff, though. Finally, monster hunting gives a run for lightning dodger's money. It isn't so bad at first, until you realize to get really far into it, you basically have to max the majority of your stats, and that gets tedious.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Actually none of them are too bad.
    Agree. Having done most of them recently for the first time, none of them caused me as much grief as I thought they would. Exaggerations all round. Blitzball is the most time consuming, and that is a fantastic minigame that I am happy to pour hours into.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chocobos and butterflies. That's all I got. The rest was tolerable, even doable and sometimes interesting. The chocobos and butterflies were just rage-inducing.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by BlasterDarkRen View Post
    Lightning dodging. Get out.

also I loved Blitzball
    Yup, this.

The mini-games in FFX (barring Blitzball) are definitely the worst I've experienced.

The most irritating minigame in FFX is Lightning Dodging - I'm not even trying, because I find it pretty stressful and... C'mon! 200 times IN A ROW for Venus Sigil, really?! XD
    Even these Chocobo minigames are less frustrating than that! XD
    And hey, I love Blitzball - that's my favourite part of FFX. <3
    Last edited by Zanmato; 06-26-2015 at 02:46 PM.