Thread: Into the Woods

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Into the Woods

Is anyone else stoked for this? Looks like it has a ton of awesome people in it!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I am a sucker for this kind of thing. I'd never heard of this before right now.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've been stoked since I first saw the trailer at Guardians of the Galaxy! I. Can't. WAIT.

It's a musical I've never had the pleasure of seeing (one that interests me a lot), and it's got just a brilliant cast.

As I've said, I don't know a crazy amount about it, and I have decided if Meryl Streep is the villain or not. Her character seems very ambiguous (and please don't tell me if you know the answer).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Looks good, but we probably won't see it. Mom has all the money and decides what family sees unless dad wants to see something.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Super smurfing stoked.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Default Into the Woods

There's no thread on this yet?

Just got to see this little gem. Overall, I loved it. I was quite a fan of the original musical (I can sing most of it by heart, the lyrics are just so much fun), so I was simultaneously looking forward to and dreading this movie in case they messed it up.

They didn't.

The cinematography is flat-out amazing, the casting is incredibly strong, the performances were great (and allowed some things you just couldn't get in a stage musical), and the songs and story are every bit as enjoyable as they always were. Some aspects were actually handled better than the play (most notably, anything at all related to the princes).

The only real criticism I have with it is that the gap between the first and second phase of the story needed to be extended. Even if they couldn't put Ever After in (although they easily could have, the entire scene was set for it, why did you cut that awesome song?!), they needed something to space the second story. It feels rushed having the two slammed back to back with no pause in the action at all.

But really, the cinematography is one of the stars. They moved from stage to screen, and they took full advantage of that. From getting more expression on the characters, to the incredible tone and subtle effects work that just emphasizes everything so well.

10/10, would watch again in theatres and buy the DVD. Would also buy an extended edition if they ever came out with one that had all the songs (and the narrator's full role included).
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Blog Entries

I did NOT like this much at all.

My sister & I took my kiddo to see it on XMas night. We wound up leaving before it was over.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Not out here until 9th January.

I hated it really. It was too cheesy and didn't really take itself seriously. Fine if you are a comedy, but not when you are meant to be a deep and fantasy adventure.

The princes screaming out ''agony'' ! in dramatic poses, while one rips off his shirt was really strange.

I am also sick and tired of break the old fantasy and fairy tale cliches and miss the Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid type of stories.

They were just cute stories, nothing wrong with them. I never thought of Ariel or Belle as role models, just story characters.

But clearly Disney is trying to please the soccer mums, so let's do a Disney version of a Broadway show that breaks the old fairy tale tropes.

Quote Originally Posted by noxious.sunshine View Post

My sister & I took my kiddo to see it on XMas night. We wound up leaving before it was over.
    I wanted to do that but I always believe that if I have spent money on something, you might as well stay.

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    I hated it really. It was too cheesy and didn't really take itself seriously. Fine if you are a comedy, but not when you are meant to be a deep and fantasy adventure.

The princes screaming out ''agony'' ! in dramatic poses, while one rips off his shirt was really strange.

I am also sick and tired of break the old fantasy and fairy tale cliches and miss the Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid type of stories.

They were just cute stories, nothing wrong with them. I never thought of Ariel or Belle as role models, just story characters.

But clearly Disney is trying to please the soccer mums, so let's do a Disney version of a Broadway show that breaks the old fairy tale tropes.

Quote Originally Posted by noxious.sunshine View Post

I wanted to do that but I always believe that if I have spent money on something, you might as well stay.
    It's not meant to be a deep fantasy adventure, though. The original was essentially a light opera held together by solid performances and some absolutely fantastic lyrics.

Honestly, they didn't really Disney-fly it at all. The closest they got to that was the removal of Rapunzel's fate, and that felt just like editing for time.

I do think that the trailers didn't properly convey the tone and mood, but it captured almost everything I loved about the original musical really well.

They did up the ridiculousness of the princes a bit, but that fit really well with the tone and mood of the original, just taking advantage of the media change (Steps of the Palace is also executed flawlessly with the shift to film).

Maybe it's just different if you've seen and enjoyed the original Broadway production.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

It was pretty grand. The first musical film I've sat down and watched in years. I really liked it. Meryl Streep was bloody fantastic in it. Anna Kendrick was leaps and bounds better than I expected too. Her Twilight role did not do her justice.

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    If you honestly went into the theater thinking it was intended to be a "deep fantasy adventure" then you completely missed the point.
    I like Kung-Fu.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I took my kids to see this and have very mixed feelings about it. It's very much too long, and very much not a movie for young kids (under 7ish). When we saw it, parents with kids under 10 just started flooding out of the theater about 1'30" into the movie. My kids are awesome, so we stuck it out.

I wanted more Tracey Ullman & Johnny Depp, and less Emily Blunt and Meryl Streep. Don't get me wrong, I thought Streep did a great job, but there was just too much of her, and I didn't like Blunt's character at all. I love Emily Blunt, a lot, but just didn't like her in this.

I like this Daniel Huttlestone kid (that's his name right? Jack.).

I actually liked the way the princes were portrayed. I enjoyed the parody. I thought their song together was great. They were making fun of the "prince charming" trope and it was great.

The music was okay. I wasn't blown away, but I was also rarely bored (I'm not the most enthusiastic fan of musicals). Some of the songs were catchy, most of the singing was at the very least adequate, but I thought the pacing of the music was very off and made a very long movie even longer. There were too many slow/melancholy songs which made the movie drag on.

I liked that Cinderella didn't end up with Prince Jackass. It wasn't quite the girl-empowering it could have been, but it was handled kind of subtly and I liked it.

Lilla Crawford is pretty awesome.

Final Verdict: the kids liked it but didn't love it and I felt the same. Too long for kids, too spastic for most adults, I came away unsure what the movie really wanted to be. Perhaps this is a result of expectations based on trailers and such, but in any case I was hoping for something a little different.