Thread: Your 2014 Game List

Default Your 2014 Game List

What have I bought | When did I buy it

Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns (PAL version) | February 2014

I already knew it since 2013 because I have the Japanese version but it is still new so I want it to count.

The last part of the Lightning Saga of Final Fantasy XIII. It brings back likable characters, adds new as well as some element you probably would have liked in the two other installments of Final Fantasy XIII. For a consistent story you might not fully like Lightning Returns though that is actually only because some tricky words that are never easy to define are used and overall I love the whole story of all three nonetheless, especially its ending. I think it is the best Final Fantasy since Crisis Core has been released and people should actually give it a try. Many things of it added in the first installlment would have brought way more fans.

Beyond: Two Souls | February 2014

My first step into the world of Interactuve Movie games. And it was the best since then. Beyond might not really do too much for your Gameplay, even though it even tries to make you interact with your surroundings in a very special way but it focusses very much on narration and creating atmosphere. This is an experience you might never forget, such as many RPG stories. Be aware though that Beyond really has only a bit of walking around and clicking or moving your controller for the gameplay.

Atelier Escha & Logy The Alchemists of Dusk Sky | March 2014

The 5th installment of the Atelier series for PS3 and one of the best in my opinion. If you are a fan of cel-shading, anime, great music and old-school RPG elements like some sort of ATB system then this might be worth a try. Escha & Logy has lovable, cute characters and is a fun game to play. The series does not always have the deepest writing but I still think if some very important moments are written well then it is very good and this is the case here for me. Prepare for many anime clichés though if you want to try out this series - something I do not mind at all.

Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster | March 2014

The Last of Us | April 2014 (Birthday Present)

This game has been hyped last year very much and normally no matter who you ask they will still tell you how great this game is.
    And I agree.
    I think The Last of Us is a really good game. I like Father Child stories and this one is very well told. It succeeds in telling the story of a dying world where everyone keeps trying to stay alive and no one actually stays innocent - though you very much notice that even those who needed to do bad things are not even close to being evil such as others. The gameplay might be a bit repetetive. The Last of Us lives of its stealthing and open fighting moments in terms of gameplay and this is a bit unfortunate in my eyes because it should not be such a game and does not have that much variety. Oddly enough Final Fantasy XIII was hated very much for this fight and narrate concept but lately I have noticed even more how present this concept really is so Final Fantasy XIII's problem might be either how biased people are or that really just a little bit of an element that seems to make things more free lacks. Because for real - even Kingdom Hearts II which I recently have replayed and has greater areas as well as Mini Games and Sidequests is in terms of obligations pretty much nothing than running around, fighting and story progress. When it comes to that people very much like at least a bit of an extra. It is something I understand though.

Fahrenheit | May 2014

The game from QuanticDream that came before Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls. Fahrenheit does not shine with great gameplay for the time it has come out and graphics as well as story, well - you should try it out yourself. The gameplay can get very annyoing even though Heavy Rain was more annoying for me. The story also gets really messy and unnecessary but most of it in a way was really likable for me. There were some parts that could have been left out and gameplay-wise some parts should have been made completely different. That is what I think, however. Maybe it is more something for you. Yet I like it more than Heavy Rain.

One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 | July 2014

Well - to be honest, I was disappointed by this game. It has nice looks and mechanics and is fun to play in my opinion but it is nothing but a short non-canonical story with only territory system and I expected it to be at least a bit of running around and interacting with the area items like in the first installments. So the fun part is likable and it is stylish in my opinion but by far less of the game I have expected.

Heavy Rain | November 2014

I was too disappointed by this game, I do not want to talk about it. I recommend it still because what I didn't like is really something that just was nothing for me and there were still things that I liked.

Child of Light | November 2014

What a lovely little game with a great atmosphere. A 2.5 D sidescroller/RPG with the cute little princess Aurora that combines cute hand-drawn graphics, great music, old-school RPG-elements and the cutest little princess I have ever seen to create this masterpiece. I recommend this one to everyone.

Terranigma | December 2014

A masterpiece of an RPG. Terranigma is what Action RPGs have been in the 90s. Take some incredible music and put it into a storyline of bringing back the fantasy version of Earth and you get something great as Terranigma.

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMIX | December 2014

Drakengard 3 | December 2014 (Christmas Present)
    Under construction.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can't recall which I've bought this year, but I have played this year (whether I've played them before or not):

Animal Crossing New Leaf
    Ape Escape 3
    Atelier Meruru
    Atelier Totori
    Bravely Default
    Chrono Trigger
    Doki Doki Universe
    Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
    Final Fantasy V
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy X-2
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Final Fantasy Theatrhythm
    Final Fantasy Theatrhythm Curtain Call
    Fire Emblem Awakening
    Girls Fashion Shoot
    Harvest Moon A Tale of Two Towns
    Harvest Moon Sunshine Islands
    Legend of Mana
    Luminous Arc 2
    Mario Power Tennis
    Ni No Kuni
    Pokemon X/Y
    Pokepark Wii
    Princess Debut
    Record of Agarest War Zero
    RPGMaker 3
    Rune Factory 3
    Skies of Arcadia Legends
    Spyro Year of the Dragon
    Star Ocean The Last Hope
    Star Ocean The Second Story
    Suikoden II
    Suikoden V
    Tales of Symphonia
    Tales of The Abyss
    Tales of Xillia
    Tales of Xillia 2
    The Promised Land
    Tomodachi Life
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    Xenogears
    Ys 7

These are ones I played a decent amount of time on, not started for a few hours, or didn't like them so turned them off. There might be more but that's what I can think of

Dark Souls 2
    Child of Light
    Dota 2
    Hearthstone
    Bastion

Not a whole lot. I can also second Child of Light as a recommendation to everyone.

Is it cheating if I just go lazy on you and say 'check my signature'?

Warning, I kind of half assed Part 1 and the 10 worst.

Edit: It's basically every game I played this year, minus The Pre Sequal (Which I forgot I played), and Retro City Rampage. Which I also forgot about.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This year I purchased pretty much all the new Telltale Games stuff: The Walking Dead Season 2, The Wolf Among Us, Game of Thrones, and Tales from the Borderlands. I also picked up Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, because I've never played the Ruby/Sapphire games and always wanted to. I got Destiny as well but it's a bit meh I enjoy watching other people play it for me until it gets to the boss. I may purchase a WII U so if I do, I'll get the new Super Smash Bros. I also want to get my own copy of Skyrim -- right now borrowing a friend's whom I sure wants it back.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Batman: Arkham City
    Castlevania
    Castlevania: Sympathy of the Night
    Chrono Trigger
    Darksiders II
    Defenders Quest
    Diablo III
    Dino Crisis 2
    DmC: Devil May Cry
    Dust: An Elysian Tail
    Fallout New Vegas
    F.3.A.R.
    Fighting Force
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Final Fantasy V
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
    Final Fantasy XIII (Say whhhaaat?)
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
    Game of Thrones: Iron from Ice
    Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    Lilly Looking Through
    Parasite Eve
    Parasite Eve II
    Resident Evil 5
    Resident Evil 6
    Silent Hill
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    The Cat Lady
    The Walking Dead: Season One
    The Walking Dead: Season Two
    The Yawhg
    Tomb Raider
    Valdis Story AC
    Xenogears
    WWE 2K14

This isn't including presents and free downloads.

As for the games I played this year.

Long list is longFinal Fantasy VIII
    Dust: An Elysian Tail
    Katamari Damacy
    Batman: Arkham Origins
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
    Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent
    Mass Effect
    Tomb Raider (1996)
    Metroid Prime
    Bayonetta
    The Longest Journey
    Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
    WWF Attitude
    Assassin's Creed II
    StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
    Final Fantasy VII
    Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro
    Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F
    Final Fantasy IX
    The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    Secret of Evermore
    Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
    The Last of Us
    Deadpool
    Game of Thrones
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
    inFAMOUS
    inFAMOUS 2
    The Walking Dead: Season One
    Tomb Raider (2013)
    Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock
    DmC: Devil May Cry
    F.3.A.R.
    Darksiders II
    Final Fantasy XII
    Castlevania: Sympthany of the Night
    Luigi's Mansion
    BioShock
    Resident Evil
    Silent Hill
    Yars' Revenge
    Super Mario Bros. 2
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Final Fantasy IV
    The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    San Franciso Rush Extreme Racing
    Dragon Rage
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
    Shadow of the Beast

Battletoads/Double Dragon
    Bravely Default
    Broken Helix
    Castlevania
    Dead or Alive 5
    Dragon Age Neon
    Evil Zone
    F.E.A.R. Online
    Game of Thrones: Iron from Ice
    Lego Marvel
    Minecraft
    Mortal Kombat II
    Mortal Kombat III
    NFL GameDay 99
    Road Rash
    Road Rash 3D
    Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes
    Sonic Heroes
    Street Fighter Alpha 3
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2
    The Legend of Zelda
    The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    The Walking Dead: Season Two
    WWE 2K14
    Last edited by Ayen; 12-23-2014 at 06:09 AM.

What games have I done this year...

I played Persona 4 at the beginning of the year, and now I'm doing Persona 4 Golden at the end of the year. I also tried Digital Devil Saga this year

South Park was a glorious adventure
    Dragon Age: Inquisition
    Shadow of Mordor
    Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

9 hours 9 person 9 doors was a fantastic endeavor I went on this year, and can't wait to play the sequel

Alien: Isolation was also super fantastic for me

I've seen Bravely Default listed, that was fun until it got old

I think I imported Infinite Space at around the same time as that, which was surprisingly hard and haven't been able to enjoy it properly. Took me way too many attempts to defeat the first "boss" encounter and completely lost steam with the game

Transistor was a really good experience, wonderful atmosphere and great music

Freedom Planet was a surprisingly good experience for a Sonic-cloned platformer

Tomodachi Life was also an extremely surprisingly fun game. And we had quite a few experiences for it on here

Wasteland 2 was really fun, until I burned myself out on it. It's not very well optimized for AMD machines, but it almost completely lived up to expectations. That's probably about all one can expect from a Kickstarter campaign. Not dissatisfied in the slightest

I'm probably missing a few experiences, but these are the ones that immediately jump out at me

Articles
    Blog Entries

This was an interesting year across the board. On PS4 I liked how the year started with Infamous: Second Son and Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes both in March and Mercenary Kings to set off April. I thought Second Son was a class "Graphics & Gameplay" tour de force with great writing and performances, although it didn't really grip me towards the end. Ground Zeroes was just insane as a massive sandbox Metal Gear with the entire mission taking place in a single camera sequence - the Phantom Pain might have a very profound impact when it comes out next year. Mercenary Kings was awesome - one of those retro indies that actually innovate their reference material instead of just emulate it.

In the summer I played The Last of Us Remastered and I'm glad I waited for this version. It really does live up to its reputation and I kept thinking about the ending long after I finished it. Sony also redeemed the lackluster Killzone Shadow Fall with a solid co-op mode that gets back to what the series is all about.

I'm really pleased with how the PS4's blend of Indie and Triple AAA continued and really took off in the fall. I played so many excellent titles from Destiny, Shadows of Mordor, Advanced Warfare, and Drive Club which were complemented by Velocity 2X, Pix the Cat and Spelunky. I just built a new PC and my time will be largely there for the next few months, but I'm excited to see where this console comes next.

My favorite development in 2014 might be this amazing nexus that is emerging between PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita, with PlayStation Plus in the middle tying them together. I recently read how Sony gave away over $1,300 in games for the subscription service which frequently goes for $30 on sale. It's awesome getting new games every month but especially when they tie my devices together into what I'm playing at home and on the go. Whether free like Terraria, Fez, Hotline: Miami and The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth or discounted like Rogue Legacy and Hohokum, many of my most memorable games in 2014 were ones I played during my commute on the Vita and after work on my 55" and PS4.

The Vita maybe surprised me the most as the library with the greatest depth and breadth of titles in 2014. I had pretty much gave up on the idea that high-fidelity action games could be playable on a handheld but it really proved me wrong with Uncharted, Gravity Rush and Killzone Mercenary. I played modern classics in the Arcade genre like Luftrausers and the emerging Western takes on JRPGs like Child of Light. Sony did a great job attracting the best and brightest indie devs of today, bringing their classics over discounted or free and now poised to showcase their upcoming games in 2015. It really is the best place to play games like Rogue Legacy and Spelunky and when Hotline Miami 2 comes out next month, I'll be playing it mostly on my Vita.

So 2014 was a great year for expanding my horizons and pursuing interests and I like the way gaming is headed. If nothing else, it was a nice break from my Dota and Elder Scrolls addiction, even if I'm more or less back there now with my new desktop :/