Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123456781222 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Final Fantasy XV's Cid be a Lady?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Progressive: Square makes a character a female mechanic

Not so Progressive: bOObs
    So a woman without breasts is progress. Hmm...

I have no problem with that, I like breasts. And a female Cid is something new.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Her outfit is shameless and embarassing on the part of Square-Enix but if I'm honest, I didn't really notice it. I don't know what that says about me, whether I'm desensitised to half dressed video game females or I'm at an age where I've grown out of liking that sort of thing. I hadn't noticed Gladiolus's wide open shirt and perfectly sculpted body either until it was pointed out in this thread.

I guess what I'm saying is it's dumb, but it's a drop in the ocean as to my feelings on the game overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Her outfit is shameless and embarassing on the part of Square-Enix but if I'm honest, I didn't really notice it.
    I guess what I'm saying is it's dumb, but it's a drop in the ocean as to my feelings on the game overall.
    Yeah exactly that. It's certainly a point of criticism, but making a traditionally male character a woman (assuming they follow through with her being the 'Cid' for this game) kinda makes up for it.

Although I don't really buy the "some women go around like that in real life" argument. Yes... but how many of those are mechanics working on the underside of a car? Oil from those things gets everywhere when they're being worked on, and it's a real pain to get off your skin. Long story short: it's an especially silly get up for a mechanic, so let's not pretend this is anything​ but silly fanservice.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, like I said, I don't personally have a problem with it. I don't care if people do or don't; that's their opinion and they're entitled to it. But, just don't make up silly and ridiculous excuses about WHY it's like that. Just admit it's fanservice and carry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's great they made their 'male' character a female. It is, but isn't Cid known for his smarts and technical abilities? Also, he's usually older. I can't remember Cid getting his kit off, ever. So yeah, they made the male character a female but not without smurfing making her look like a sex object first. They've sat and asked themselves "how can we make Cid a girl?" and the answer to that was to stick a massive rack on her and have it popping out of her shirt. So, in Cidney's case - everyone is talking about her damn tits/legs/ass/physical appearance (including me) and not the fact she's gonna be an awesome engineer and super smart. That's the issue here.

Sorry but it just reminds me of this bulltrout.

megan-fox-transformers.jpg

You know who was an amazing girl mechanic who wasn't sexualised but was still super sexy and cute anyway because of her personality and smarts?

This gal

kayleefrye08.jpg

FYI I'd have loved to see a baller 30-40 y/o lady being Cidney.
    Last edited by Night Fury; 12-20-2014 at 04:15 PM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Also, I just google imaged 'topless mechanic' to see if the fellas also get down to work in barely there outfits...

You know what came up?

Ladies. All topless models posed over car bonnets in high heels 'fixing' engines while pouting at the camera.

Also, before someone says; "But, Lockharted, what if Cidney is like the best Cid ever? Just because she has big bewbs doesn't mean she isn't a good mechanic/engineer/tech person."

- Good point. I agree with you, she could be the most awesome Cid of the series, but why does she have to prove that? Why does it have to be a 'she has big boobies and she's sexy, but she actually does know what she's doing too so you can't really complain.' Why can't it just be a given that she's a great mechanic, why this sudden need that it must be proven to us that she is because you can't be sexy/booby/feminine and be a mechanic, not at all! So we must present you with a massive chested youngun to make a statement about it! No, I absolutely can complain because it is totally sexist, demeaning and ridiculous.

I'm going to stop now because I feel like I'm going on a tangent and I kind of make it my rule to not get in a tizz about these things.
    Last edited by Night Fury; 12-20-2014 at 04:29 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

well topless is a term more referring to women. If you wanted men you should've typed shirtless. Like Psychotic, I didn't notice the breasts or the unbuttoned shirt until they were mentioned, well until I saw the cutscene for Cidney

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    well topless is a term more referring to women. If you wanted men you should've typed shirtless. Like Psychotic, I didn't notice the breasts or the unbuttoned shirt until they were mentioned, well until I saw the cutscene for Cidney
    Valid point. "Shirtless mechanic" brings up dudes.

Here are a couple of better shots:

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh, I take back what I said earlier about her wearing coveralls. I hadn't seen a full body picture of her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Kotaku confirms, though apparently her name is Cidney.

This is certainly not the first time in Final Fantasy that a character has worn a revealing outfit(male or female). Why is this one getting all the criticism? Her outfit looks like alot of other FF outfits. Move along ppl, nuthin new here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockharted View Post

You know who was an amazing girl mechanic who wasn't sexualised but was still super sexy and cute anyway because of her personality and smarts?

This gal

kayleefrye08.jpg
    Uhh..in one episode, wasn't she depicted having sex after apparently being turned on by mechanical things? Is that not sexualisation?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

It's a shame, 'cause in that second pic Shlup posted she looks like a really neat character with the dirty face, cap and scruffy hair, as well as that eye colour.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal_Khan View Post
    This is certainly not the first time in Final Fantasy that a character has worn a revealing outfit(male or female). Why is this one getting all the criticism? Her outfit looks like alot of other FF outfits. Move along ppl, nuthin new here.
    Maybe the "nuthin new here" is part of the problem? There have been plenty of ladies with their tits out, yes, though this is the first time I recall seeing one that's so blatantly non-sensical. She's a mechanic FFS, she needs clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow_Magic View Post
    Uhh..in one episode, wasn't she depicted having sex after apparently being turned on by mechanical things? Is that not sexualisation?
    She isn't treated as a sexual object; her sexuality isn't on display in order to titillate you. Sex and sexy isn't off the table--it's all in how it's handled. Even Inara, who's a prostitute for goodness sake, has more agency in regard to her sexuality than most female characters in video games.

That said, I do still like Cidney so far, even if she is dressed smurfing stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal_Khan View Post
    Oh? Which ones?

FFX-2, sure. But that got plenty of criticism for the same reason. I don't think Cidney's design is being singled out here just because commentary on media sexism is in vogue right now... it's just being called out the same as it would (and should be) anywhere else.