Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101424 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Final Fantasy XV's Cid be a Lady?

boobs.PNG

Nobody's brought this up.

This is Luna, I guess?

That's awfully low cut as well! Is it ok because she's not super endowed, wearing tough clothes and filling a traditionally male role?

I'm honestly asking, because I'm socially inept in the extreme.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Not a single person has said that a low cut top is not okay under any circumstances. Nobody has said that Cidney shouldn't be wearing those clothes. So yes, Luna wearing those clothes is okay.

I mean really, Cidney wearing that outfit is okay too. It is just being side eyed though, which is understandable. For the entirety of the series Cid has worn reasonable clothes for a mechanic, and then suddenly when it's a girl there needs to be hot pants and an unzipped top with boobs hanging out. Which yeah, are probably not the most appropriate clothes for a mechanic to wear.

Again, nobody is saying that this type of clothing is bad. Nobody is saying that sexy clothes aren't allowed, or that a character being in sexy clothes automatically makes her a sex object. We know nothing about Cidney right now, so we can't say if she's been relegated to that role, and I have every faith that she won't be. We're just saying that Square Enix made a dumb decision putting her in those clothes, which will be commentary present even if she is amazing.

It's not the last time a video game developer is going to do something stupid relating to female representation, and next time we'll talk about it too.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest
    Nobody's brought this up.

This is Luna, I guess?

That's awfully low cut as well! Is it ok because she's not super endowed, wearing tough clothes and filling a traditionally male role?

I'm honestly asking, because I'm socially inept in the extreme.
    In my opinion, knowing very little about the character, it doesn't seem to me that her sexuality is beibg paraded out for someone else's pleasure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal_Khan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    I wonder if she'll be like Lucca.
    No. She is an object. Thats all she will be.
    Oh for heavens sake, go cuddle up with you really valid point and i'm impressed by your thinking. and go pout about people expressing perfectly valid criticism of one detail of the game somewhere else. Really now.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Maybe she wears that stuff so that here customers are less likely to haggle with her outrageous mechanic prices.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

The crux of the criticism here (ironically made all the more loud and vehement by the resistance to it) is the very clear difference in treatment with the same type of character just because she's now a woman.

How many male Cids have we had over the years? I can't think of the exact number of the top of my head, but it must be somewhere around 10. And how many of them have showed up looking like this:

The first time Cid's a woman? Just gotta expose everything. I mean, she's a woman! Can't just treat her the same as you would any of the male​ Cids, right? That would be preposterous!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I've always wanted a cid like that
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

The only possible antidote to all this criticism is for them to make Cidney a complete and total badass.

Which (I hope) THEY WILL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal_Khan View Post
    Also, this-
    (SPOILER)sry, couldn't help myself
    Are you seriously implying that the only reason this would be irksome to someone is out of jealousy?

YOU DONT KNOW YET!?!?!? FFFFsephychibi's Avatar

I'm a straight woman, and honestly, I'm totally okay with a revealing cleavage, mid section, and ass/leg on a female character.

The only time it doesn't work for me is when they are battling enemies, and have little to no armor on, and their boobs and ass are still hanging out, while getting shot with arrows and stabbed/slashed with swords.

But for a mechanic, whatever, if she doesn't mind getting dirty and oil in between her cracks, so be it.

Cidney's design is really nbd.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I agree with everyone against Cidney's attire. Women should cover their tits the hell up, it's repulsive.

But on a more serious level, yeah, I imagine wearing those kind of clothes in that kind of workplace is kind of a silly thing to do. Maybe she just really hates doing the laundry and really likes taking showers...

All the same, this is Square Enix doing what Square Enix do. Sometimes their females cover up, sometimes they don't. Sometimes their males cover up, sometimes they don't.

I do wonder, though, really. I mean, I play FFXIV and you wouldn't believe the number of girls that voluntarily play with the skimpiest clothes when there are far more cover-up clothes than skimpy ones. I think it's fun for guys and girls to be able to go into these fantasy worlds where everyone is sexed up a little bit, and we can do so without (much) prejudice. I don't think it suddenly means it's okay to mistreat people in the real world or hold them to a standard seen in video games, though. In short, I don't blame Square Enix for sexing things up in a video game, but I do blame people who think that means that people should be treated as sex objects in the real world.

But yeah, I'm pretty confident that if that jacket was wearable crafting attire in FFXIV then a lot of girls would be wearing it (and guys, using girl characters, naturally).
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

If it was a man with unzipped pants and a visible bulge through his underwear this conversation would be going very differently.

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    If it was a man with unzipped pants and a visible bulge through his underwear this conversation would be going very differently.
    I long for the day where we can see how that conversation would go. Alas, nobody ever seems to design their male characters that way.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I wonder why...
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Meet my secondary character in FFXIV. Even my main character is often seen running around with only his underwear and a gimp mask on. xD The Bulge, though, he's the one that gets the comments. I've had people come up to me and say they want to lick me up and down until I'm completely wet, or something similar to that. I'm not even kiddin'. I'd just log in as The Bulge, walk around and laugh at the comments it would bring about.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm going to leave the whole sexualization topic alone because I agree with Shlup and have little to add there.

But as someone who spends his afternoons at school in the shop learning automotive service and working on cars/welding/using oxyacetylene torches, there would be very little sexual about her wearing clothes like those while working. Largely because her skin would be permanently stained from some pretty toxic chemicals getting on and absorbing through her skin on a daily basis, and shed be covered with plenty of burns, cuts, and bruises because she's not dressed to protect herself from the dangers inherent in her work. About the only believable part of her outfit is the goggles she has around her neck. If it weren't for those shed have no eyes either.