37 80.43%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is soup a drink?

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

You're all wrong. The Soup is a TV show.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fat_moogle View Post
    Tough one, but I've decided no. Reason being? I don't dip bread in any of my drinks. So even though I drink Cuppa Soups, I wouldn't put it in the same league as a cup of coffee, juice, water, coke, alcohol etc. It's not something I'd have to quench (what a word, "Quench") my thirst, it would be something I'd want to FEED MAH BELLAH!
    Dipping a sweet bread into hot chocolate is divine.

Soup is a drink as you drink it.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxie Poo View Post
    I want you all to take a second and look at all of the people who voted "Yes". They're a rather...eh...specific breed, aren't they?

I think that alone is enough to prove that soup is a food.
    I'm telling you the earth revolves around the sun!
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Regardless of where you look to research such things you will find that soup is, by definition, a primarily liquid dish, and that a drink is, by definition, any liquid that is consumed for either nutrition or refreshment. Thus we can conclude, because it is defined as being liquid and because it is consumed for nutrition, that soup is a drink.
    Usually people insist on bringing up particularly thick soups as an argument against soup-drinking, but one example does not exclude all other soups from being drinks. And at the very least, you can not deny that the broth that forms the foundation of your thick soups is a drink on its own. Does milk cease to be a drink if it has been mixed with cereal? I think not!

I think that alone is enough to prove that soup is a food.
    Your argument is based entirely on the concept that food and drink are mutually exclusive, which they are not. If a type of food happens to be liquid then it is also a drink. Like soup.
    The evidence towards soup being a drink has been there, and has been distributed many times. The results of the poll show nothing more than that the majority of those who have been granted access to such information refuse to acknowledge it and stubbornly adhere to their misguided beliefs, regardless of the fact that the argument opposing theirs is drawn from perfectly credible sources.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Tomato soup, tomato juice, tomato sauce, tomato ketchup. Which are drinks and which are food?

Troll or be trolled, EoFF, abstaining from the poll is your only middle ground.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Soup is not a drink, though I think it transcends the drink-food divide. If only the food fantatics and drink die-hards could unite behind the compromise nirvana of soup. If only the drinkers could throw down their sharpened straws, and the foodies discard their pointed forks and come together through a mutual love of soup, the world would be a much better place. So much strife has been caused throughout the ages because of this bitter rivalry, and I just long for a better, soup-filled world.

But perhaps I'm just an idealist at heart.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

You eat soup! You've never seen anyone drink water from a glass with a spoon before.

Str8 Pimpin'

I just told you that a drink is defined as any liquid that is consumed for refreshment or nourishment, and soup is consumed for nourishment. In fact, some dictionaries don't even go that far, saying that a drink is any liquid suitable for swallowing.
    It's just like you people to pick out one minor detail of our argument and try turning it against us, while cutting out and ignoring the pieces that prove us right

It should also be stated that while some people might physically drink soup (Asian cultures widely come to mind) not everyone drinks soup.
    "Drink" as a verb is defined only as taking a liquid into your mouth and swallowing it. It doesn't matter whether you're drinking it straight from the bowl, out of a cup, or slurping it from a spoon. You're still drinking it.
    Last edited by Værn; 01-10-2015 at 04:18 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Værn pls

Articles
    Blog Entries

Don't "Værn pls" him. The Pokemon makes sense.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As I've been sick this week, I totally drank my soup. Apart from the Coconut, Sweet Potato and Chilli soup. That trout may as well have been a jar of Korma sauce.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Okay, stretched and warmed up, ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    Well you're not likely to get a scientific reason for soup not to be a drink
    Everything after this was 100% irrelevant. It's on par with "I'm not _____, but..." Next!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    They put it in the food aisles, not with the drinks.
    I've seen food in the drink aisles and vice versa at all kinds of stores. Next!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockharted View Post
    Imagine that 'is soup a drink' becomes any question or query about the forums... 'shall we disable rep in EoEO' now imagine the argument. Imagine BoB, militantly waving the flag for 'YES IT IS A DRINK AND I WILL NOT LET YOU TELL ME OTHERWISE'

There you have it guys, staff.
    Ah, irony. No argument was had regarding the former issue (although I did raise caution and questions when it was proposed, in the end agreeing with the proposal), and for the latter, I am actually really keen on someone telling me otherwise, because I was stunned when I couldn't think of a reason in the first place. What started as a joke fast turned out to be a surprisingly factual thing. It makes me laugh, rather than any militant activity. I would love for someone to prove me wrong, but nobody can, and thus the amusement of it all carries on and on and on.

On the other hand, though, I don't deny that I am a bastard in staff when there is a split opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Tomato soup, tomato juice, tomato sauce, tomato ketchup. Which are drinks and which are food?
    Soup is a drink. Juice is a drink. I am still undecided on condiments/sauces/dips... they are far thicker than any soup I've ever had, yet are still technically drinkable. I don't think anyone would drink a sauce, though... would they!? Personally, I just put a touch of condiment onto food, and therefore I eat it with the food. So I'm doing to say food for sauce and ketchup, provided they are not consumed "as-is" rather than simply dipped into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Soup is not a drink, though I think it transcends the drink-food divide. If only the food fantatics and drink die-hards could unite behind the compromise nirvana of soup. If only the drinkers could throw down their sharpened straws, and the foodies discard their pointed forks and come together through a mutual love of soup, the world would be a much better place. So much strife has been caused throughout the ages because of this bitter rivalry, and I just long for a better, soup-filled world.

But perhaps I'm just an idealist at heart.
    Let's just say it's very interesting to see which things in this world people choose to believe, for whatever reason (or lack of reason), that two things are mutually exclusive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    You eat soup! You've never seen anyone drink water from a glass with a spoon before.
    I've seen people drink milk from a spoon.
    1. Neither quenches or refreshes since it almost always has salt in it. Salt dehydrates, even in liquids. This is why you are thirstier when eating salty foods.
    2. While you might drink any number of drinks/liquids while not eating to quench or refresh your thirst, you never drink soup outside of a meal.

It should also be stated that while some people might physically drink soup (Asian cultures widely come to mind) not everyone drinks soup.

Soup is a not a drink.
    Alcohol dehydrates far more than soup ever will. Also, soft drinks, tea, coffee and milk do not actually offer "net hydration" as they contain things which actually use up any water within them. Finally, having crafted some nice home-made soup myself, I can confirm that a well made fresh soup does not require salt.

And you totally drink soup outside of a meal if you want to. This has nothing to do with food or drink, though, as drinks and food are both consumed both within and outside of meals.

EDIT: Missed that last bit. Actually, on a scientific level, you do drink soup, or at the very least sip it, perhaps even gulp it.

I find it interesting that the percentage of yes voters has increased since the last poll.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

If you can drink *all* of it, it's a drink. If you have to pick even a single thing up with a spoon, fork, or even your hands, it is a soup. If you have to separate the solids from the liquids, it is not a drink.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    If you can drink *all* of it, it's a drink. If you have to pick even a single thing up with a spoon, fork, or even your hands, it is a soup. If you have to separate the solids from the liquids, it is not a drink.
    What about milk? People put all kinds of fruit and cereal into milk.

Lots of soups have no added food, but I'm assuming you had that in mind when you made your post. So my question is, for example, should you have vegetable soup with some chunks of vegetable in it, and you remove those vegetables and still have the liquid remaining, does that instantly change that soup from "not drink" to "drink" the moment that last bit of food is removed? If this is the case, what happens when someone makes cocktail that has a berry or lime in it?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!