Thread: Sorry Wakka bro

Default Sorry Wakka bro

I just realized how harsh on Wakka as a character I have been all these years. Wakka used to be one of my least favorite Final Fantasy characters, as I used to find him whiny and annoying.

However I realized that his man gets his hope broken, his hope that things will turn out and be okay, his safety bar from the miserable world that is Spria. His hopes are broken apart and spat on, by finding out that his religion is only just a sick and cruel cult, that is led by people that have no guilt in abusing the system and manipulating innocents to go on journeys to go on their deaths. This man finds out that everything that he was holding on too, so strongly, was all a big huge lie. Wakka's reality is crushed.

Imagine finding out that in whatever you believed in, whether it be religion or something else, was just all lies. You where just a puppet, being controlled by people that couldn't care less, as longs as they had all the power and control.

Yes, Wakka is not the only one who has his hope's crushed, but everybody deals with everything differently. Whether it's trying to stay calm like Lulu, crying and having a emotional breakdown like Tidus, or trying to smile no matter what like Yuna.

I was way too harsh on you Wakka, and I'm sorry man.

You still need to get a haircut and find a better fashion sense though.
    Last edited by maybee; 04-10-2015 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Meant to type everybody, not everything *

This 100%.

Always empathized with Wakka. He's a great character and has great character development.

His theme on the other hand....shame Uematsu. SHAME.
    Last edited by Dante WolfWood; 04-09-2015 at 02:10 PM.

I agree with you. Wakka is a great character. He's not my favorite, but I have always liked his development.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Things like that is why X resonates with me so much out of any other game I played. I can easily identify with any character that's so closely tied to their religion.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Wakka is pretty good, ya?

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Wakka is pretty good, ya?
    Ja.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante WolfWood View Post
    This 100%.

Always empathized with Wakka. He's a great character and has great character development.

Really ? I have always loved Wakka's theme. It's so bouncy and alive.

But yeah, Wakka's a great character and his character development is wonderful. I don't think I really hate or despise any of the heroes, when it comes to FF X, they're so strong and relatable. They hold so much power and depth for the player.

The villian, Seymour on the other hand ? ugughhghghgh. Somebody run him over with a bus.

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    This 100%.

But yeah, Wakka's a great character and his character development is wonderful. I don't think I really hate or despise any of the heroes, when it comes to FF X, they're so strong and relatable. They hold so much power and depth for the player.

The villian, Seymour on the other hand ? ugughhghghgh. Somebody run him over with a bus.
    Was Seymour really the villain though?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

This is a really great post. I totally agree. When I first played I just thought of him as some stupid gimmick character with his "ya?" nonsense but if you scratch beneath the surface Wakka has to confront some very major issues.

This 100%.

Was Seymour really the villain though?
    That's up to debate, though he was still a very important rival to Tidus and Yuna and he's responsible for alot of manipulation and destruction within the game and causes alot of pain and sorrow for the heroes, like Tidus, poor Yuna and Wakka.

He plays Yuna and Spria like puppets and shows no remorse, and uses his charm to blind everybody from the true horror that he really is. Spira is just one big world of puppets to him, his favorite being Yuna.

When Wakka is clinging on to whatever string he has left and he's crying out to Seymour that's not true, that he's not a psychopath that murdered his own father and is playing the system, Seymour doesn't care.

Whether he's the big- bad or not that's up to debate but he's still a disgusting and important villian to the story and Wakka's character development.

Not just Wakka, but Tidus, Yuna, and Kimahri too.

This 100%.

When is his theme actually played in the game? I can't remember. Couldn't find the song in the ost files on my computer either, and didn't recognise the song when found on YouTube. Is it only in X-2 maybe?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    This 100%.

When is his theme actually played in the game? I can't remember. Couldn't find the song in the ost files on my computer either, and didn't recognise the song when found on YouTube. Is it only in X-2 maybe?
    Never. It was taken out of the game but still left in the Luca Theatre and soundtrack. For all intents and purposes, The Blitzers is Wakka's theme.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The song called Wakka's Theme was only found in the sphere theater. It never played in the actual game otherwise.

It's hard to say if Seymour is really the big bad or not, but he is a nice embodiment of both the corruption of Yevon and the "spiral of destruction" theme. Like Sin, he just keeps coming back and can't stay dead. In the end, he wanted to become Sin. He's the only thing you fight actually actively trying to cause destruction and foil the plans of your party and whatnot. I'm not sure who would be the big bad other than him unless you just want to say there is no real big bad. Outside of when Jecht could have control, Sin didn't really seem like it had a mind of its own. It was just mindless destruction. Yu Yevon was much the same by this point I think too, but there isn't much to go off there. Yunalesca was a part of the corrupt Yevon culture that was perpetuating the final summoning tradition, but that's it.

Anyways, Wakka is a cool guy. I've always liked his story arc.