Thread: Rated 'M' for Mature!?!?!?

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Default Rated 'M' for Mature!?!?!?

So I stumbled upon the North American box art for the game today, and I noticed the rating...

Assuming that's not a misprint, that would make this the very first Final Fantasy game to receive an 'M' rating, would it not?

Also, without spoiling anything, does anyone have any clue as to why it'd be rated M? I'm really curious. o__O
    I like Kung-Fu.

You can watch some trailers without having too much spoiled and see why. I'm not sure how prominent the scene was to the story which I'm picturing in my head, or if its just in the game as an example of what's going down. But there was one bit where you see a guy walk up to an enemy laying on the ground, and just casually shoves his blade into him. The sound effects are off screen and I think the blood splatters into frame, they don't actually show it that time, but they might others. But there's a lot of scenes like that which make it a pretty apt rating, and I'm happy for that. I don't like gore for the sake of gore. But at least they're not editing it. We're getting what they intended to show, and they intended it for a legitimately more mature audience. And I welcome the change with open arms. Because I am significantly more mature than their usual demographic

Articles
    Blog Entries

What Vyk said. Heard about it earlier today in another thread. Looking forward to it.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The game actually tries to show the horror of war. Anyone who played the Jpaanese Demo back in the day will know why it could be rated M. It's a pretty dark game, though it's not like M in the same sense as God of War or GTA are.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    though it's not like M in the same sense as God of War or GTA are.
    Yeah. That would actually be a potential turn-off for me. Those two do it simply because they can, it serves no greater narrative purpose. It's just some teenage-minded developers having a hayday

I guess I just like dark mature, over gorey/sexual mature

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm all for dark mature when done right. If it sells well Square might make more games with that kind of tone.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I'm all for dark mature when done right. If it sells well Square might make more games with that kind of tone.
    SE have said that this is a new "Type" of Final Fantasy. A more mature type? They've trademarked Type-1 and Type-2, so maybe they'll stick to a mature theme for these while focusing on all audiences for main numbered entries.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

If they pull this off the way it looks like they are pulling it off, then if that is the case, then they have a new long-term fan in me

The original Valkyria Chronicles was an inch away from depicting war this way, and I was still completely enthralled. A character driven narrative where things are actually at stake. Count me in. I just pray its also really well written. And the gameplay already looks like so much fun. This should be a shoe-in