View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the FFXIII games?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • They were a lot of fun! I enjoyed them a lot!

11 26.19%
  • They were alright - not my favorites but they had their moments.

11 26.19%
  • Meh. They weren't the worst games ever but they weren't too good, either.

12 28.57%
  • Worst games ever. FF is dead.

6 14.29%
  • I didn't play them/I haven't played enough of them to have an opinion

2 4.76%
  • Other (Let us know in the thread!)

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on the FFXIII series?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Matt View Post
    Best music in the series in my opinion, and I love the battle system. It is also pretty to look at.

The story and characters though, they were terrible.
    YEAH CAUSE IT HAS CRAZY CHOCOBO RIGHT?

Articles

Crazy chocobo is amazing and I love it.

Songs like Worlds Collide, Run and Noel's Theme are all amazing. The range of songs in this game is amazing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Final Fantasy XIII is my least favorite FF game, but that's saying nothing. I enjoyed it a lot, the combat system was quite great and I found the lore to be interesting.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 fixed most of the problems I had with XIII and was an overall very fun and enjoyable game.

And I haven't yet played Lightning Returns beyond the first 2 hours or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Matt View Post
    Best music in the series in my opinion, and I love the battle system. It is also pretty to look at.

The story and characters though, they were terrible.
    YEAH CAUSE IT HAS CRAZY CHOCOBO RIGHT?

tumblr_lox09bxpGq1qbp0xk.gif

I really love Final Fantasy XIII sequel, just everything about it. It's the Final Fantasy game or sequel that brought me to Final Fantasy universe, well I've already said this to many time

But this is my opinion
    Last edited by DanielCLFFF13; 01-20-2015 at 12:36 AM.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

I was pretty happy with the games, I think that peoples opinions on the game are way to high and they really should play other non Final Fantasy games then try playing the games again. For instance, I played Radiata Stories on a friends recommendation a few months ago and it was pretty shallow tbh and I pretty much had to force myself to finish it, after playing it I went and watched a few reviews on youtube and a few of them rated it reasonably high...

The story IS linear, but then iirc people complained about XII being to open. I personally loved the game and they had some really emotional spots that when I played my most recent playthrough, I really looked forward to it, for example that part with Hope and Snow just before they get to his home... its a highlight for me (not cause I think Snow is a jerk but because I genuinely like that scene).

Then we moved on to part 2 and they definitely "Fixed" the "its to linear" problem, open world, being able to have monsters fight by your side and DLC that allows you to get some of your XIII buddies on your side was pretty awesome, and one of the very few times I have spent money on DLC. Really was a great improvement on what was a great game.

Then we come to Lightning Returns... its my second favourite game of the series after VII, and so much fun to play, the combat system is top notch, the online competitive scoring system is also pretty damned awesome (I even held a few of the top spots for a while, they have been shifted down to second place by someone known as ZHONG) and having it there made me go back time and time again.

Articles
    Blog Entries

In regard to visuals and music, they were excellent. Another series would kill for production values of that quality.

Gameplay and story had cool elements and mechanics utilized in the worst possible ways.

I actually wrote my own rant/review/thingy on how I felt about XIII as objectively as I could (except for ragging on Hope) here

I liked the sequel a lot better than the first game and I've only played about a 1/4 of Lightning returns so I don't think I qualified to rate it yet, but it is different and visually it's amazing.

FFXIV Character

Tyson Ferrari (Sargatanas)

I despise the FF XIII games. Everything about them was completely forgettable.

Story? I can barely recollect, there were things called Fal'cie and the characters were L'cie. Fought a big statue at the end.....

Characters? Again forgettable, I dont think its quite as bad as XII in this regard. But they were very cliché and lacked depth.

Music? Can't name one song, I own most of the soundtracks for the previous FF's. This was probably my biggest let down of the bunch. Pretty much every other FF has atleast 1-2 pieces I listen to on a regular basis.

So, yeah. Definitely not a fan haha

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I like them well enough. XIII had Fang, who was pretty cool. XIII-2 was the first Platinum I ever got. I haven't played Lightning Returns though and I don't really feel like it.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

FF13 was a stream of battles that you fought in something that was a pretty decent battle engine-thing and a pretty uninteresting story/characters although fang was cool enough

FF13-2 actually gave you options and choice and trout and had a much better battle system with an even worse story but i didn't hate the characters as much as I did in 13

13-3 was idk haven't finished it yet
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I enjoyed XIII when I first played it, but not enough to ever be able to play it again. I've tried a few times, but it's just designed in such a way that replays are a chore. There's nothing really new to explore or do, and the way they lock your progression throughout the game/have that lengthy tutorial period just adds to the boredom. That said, I've never understood the complaints about them throwing out terms like Fal'Cie and us not being able to understand what's going on. I never had a problem figuring out the world.

XIII-2 was hella fun though. As everyone has mentioned, it fixed a lot of the issues of XIII. I enjoyed exploring the world and getting to know more of the story behind Noel, Caius, and Yeul. Monster collecting was fun. I liked dressing up the monsters a bit too. The soundtrack is also one of my favorites in the whole series. I also liked the religious lore getting fleshed out a bit more. I can see complaints about the story not being the best, but I still loved it all the way to the end. DLC was even pretty enjoyable (except for the Sazh stuff. That was pretty terrible).

Lightning Returns was also pretty fun, but XIII-2 still comes out ahead. I enjoyed Noel and Serah more than Lightning in this game. It also bothered me how Hope kind of regressed in this game. His character was pretty cool in XIII-2. The world was beautiful though, and I really liked how it felt pretty alive. It is kind of funny since the world is kind of dying at this point. The gameplay was enjoyable enough, but I couldn't really get into it. Lightning moved a bit too slow in battle. I feel like if the speed was ramped up a little, I would have enjoyed it a lot more. I enjoyed learning more about the lore as well.

They were alright and I enjoyed them, even if they are not my favorite.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

FFXIII had one of my favourite concepts in the history of Final Fantasy with the fal'Cie, l'Cie, Cie'th thing. I really liked it. I felt it could have been played out a lot better though, and the world plot, despite having that favoured concept, ended up falling flat. The characters I loved, liked or slightly disliked, and at one point I really didn't like Hope. Thankfully he got better in the second game. But yeah, characters great, music great, graphics awesome, story meh, battle gameplay okay, field gameplay barely existent.

FFXIII-2 jacked up gameplay and it was huge loads of fun. I didn't connect as well with the characters at all, though. I didn't like what they did with the story at all, either. I would have preferred a story that focused on the "directly afterwards" stage of rebuilding life on Pulse, discovering new regions of the world and perhaps even discovering inhabitants remaining on Pulse somewhere. I'd have loved that. But either way, the music was arguably even better than the original game and the graphics were par. The monster catching and using in battle thing improved battles even further. So... characters okay, music great, graphics awesome, story bad, battle gameplay great, field gameplay good.

Lightning Returns even further improved the gameplay beyond that of XIII-2, there was so much to do! I cared for the story marginally more than I did in the previous game, but it still didn't get to the point that I felt it was better than the original, further showing that the great concept of the series just didn't reach it's potential. The characters were okay, which ones there were actively involved at least. I'm not sure I'm happy with what they did with the old crew but generally speaking I felt it was understandable and realistic (as far as realistic goes in an immortal fantasy world!). So... characters okay, music good, graphics awesome, story meh, battle gameplay good, field gameplay awesome.

The endings of the games I found to be, respectively: Good, Bad (but with so many AMAZING paradox endings!), Great.
    The games overall I found to be: Good, Great, Good.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Funnily enough, when I introduced my boyfriend Sam to the Final Fantasy series, he quite enjoyed FFX, FFX-2 and FFXII, but when he got to the FFXIII series, he got hooked. He's replaying LR:XIII just after finishing it, so yeah, in his opinion, the FFXIII series were awesome.

As for me, I feel as if FFXIII had the best overall story. I felt as if it made sense throughout and all the main characters were fleshed out. In FFXIII-2 and particularly in LR:XIII, all my favorite characters like Sazh, Fang and Vanille were reduced, somewhat. Vanille was integral in LR:XIII, but she didn't really have any emotion other than 'despair' and 'self-loathing'. Having said that, Lumina was one of the best new characters the sequels produced. Noel, Caius and Yeul were also great characters.

I second BoB's assertion that XIII-2 would be more interesting with a fuller exploration of Pulse. I enjoyed the time-travel element, but I feel as if the story got more and more bloated with new stuff as time went on. At first, it was a story about Cocoon and Pulse, fighting against Gods using the power of teamwork and friendship and then it turned to woooo time-travel and artifacts and guardians and unseen realms and then God himself and the savior saving souls and a new world and yggdrasil and so on.

I'm exaggerating, but it just seems as if the game makes just too big a leap between games. It all technically makes sense in the lore, but I feel the games were slightly disconnected. It's more apparent comparing XIII and LR:XIII, the bookends of the series.

Overall, though, the games are still one of my favorites. The music is incredible, and the gameplay is, while different, quite enjoyable. It's pretty straightforward, compared to XII's damage calculations and chest mechanics.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Get ready. commenced.
    The worst battle system.
    The worst world.
    The worst upgrade mechanic.
    The worst leveling system.
    The worst summons.
    The worst magic.
    The worst villains.
    The worst NPCs.
    The worst camera.
    The worst system of equipment/weaponry.
    The worst monster design.
    The worst airship.
    The worst "ultimate" skills.
    The worst items.
    The worst vehicles.
    The worst disconnect between cutscenes and gameplay.
    The worst voice acting. (yes, even X was better. Though, to be fare, the voice acting is far from the worst thing about the game).
    The worst sidequests.
    The worst minigames.
    The worst music. Best music of the series, are you smurfing kidding me? Bland techno and the final fantasy equivalent of elevator music? You like that trout, fine. But to say it's the best in the series sounds utterly ludicrous to me. I'm not trying to diss anyone's opinion, I just truly don't get it.

But all of these things can be true and a game still deserve to get sequels, if, that is, it has a good story and strong characters worth being revisited. The problem is, there's not a single compelling character in the whole smurfing series. Not one. Fang comes close, but even she disappoints. And the rest just get progressively worse, with Hope and Snow down at the bottom.

The script is atrocious, just the biggest load of horsetrout and melodrama I've ever allowed myself to sit through. FFs have been getting progressively less funny over the years. What happened to SE's sense of humor? Was that all Sakaguchi? Or maybe Uematsu? When did FF stop being fun? These games have no soul. The characters have no soul, no real warmth, no depth.

This feels appropriate.

The characters were shallow enough in the first game! What the hell makes you think you can stretch that into a series?

The worst story. I despise melodrama, and that's all this is, and to me FF has always been first and foremost about the story. Without a good story driven by good (or at least passable) characters and quality music, it's just not FF to me.