Quote Originally Posted by fat_moogle View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Fox_ View Post
Quote Originally Posted by fat_moogle View Post
So magic doesn't consume MP, but warping and special actions do? Interesting.
I approve of this. It increases the motivation to use magic (the lack of which is a common problem in many RPGs) by removing the resource, but maintaining the depth offered by MP by instead limiting movement.

A nice idea and not a usual way of doing it.
I never thought of it like that. Surely there would need to be some sort of balance though or else we'll just be able to spam magic.
Well there are three simple ways of kinda doing that. The first would be to make using magic take time, perhaps by charging it up or something. That way you sacrifice time you could be attacking be preparing your magic. The second way is to give magic cooldowns, a-la MMO abilities. Then finally you could simply make magic no more powerful than an attack, so there's no motivation to spam it. Or perhaps it does a certain type of damage (so you'd use it instead of an attack in certain situations).

There's more interesting stuff you could layer on top of that, but those are what come to mind off the top of my head.

For some reason this makes me think of FFIX. Steiner, a non magic user, can use Sword Magic while Vivi is in the party. Maybe Noctis can share his magic in a similar way, imbuing party members weapons with magical abilities and such.
Seems pretty likely it'll be something along these lines, I agree.