Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Cupcakes!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I sadly fail in both, but I use the excuse that if you find an artist who doesn't consider himself a failure, he isn't an artist.

Alas, I shall not participate in the pseudo-academic discussion here about what is and isn't art. =P
    I don't think one needs to call themselves a failure to be considered an artist. You are an artist when you start calling yourself one.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I don't think one needs to call themselves a failure to be considered an artist. You are an artist when you start calling yourself one.
    I think when I think 'artist', it's usually coupled with some form of melancholic personality; an artist's temperament so to speak. If I ever heard someone refer to themselves as an artist in ordinary conversation then I would feel the need to install tiny electric wipers in my eyes to clean off the pretentious splatter. Primarily because people generally tend to use the term as a sort of persona and badge of honor, rather than just calling themselves an illustrator, painter, potter, etc. But those particular terms don't sound romantic, inclusive and other-worldly enough. And we all know people want to be seen by others as 'different'.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, that's because it is a persona xD You can have your definition of it, but judging the definition of others' consideration of the term is also necessary, I would think, when dealing with the world of art.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Well, that's because it is a persona xD You can have your definition of it, but judging the definition of others' consideration of the term is also necessary, I would think, when dealing with the world of art.
    Luckily I don't deal with the art world professionally, so I can remain in my little philistine quadrant. =P

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jenovajunkie View Post
    Art is a form of expression, escape. Writing is a form of expression, escape. It is these two forms that encompass the same. To be a writer, and good at it you must possess that of an artist.
    This.

However, to answer what the OP most likely meant, I consider myself a writer (I've actually got some projects in the works), but I suck at drawing.
    However, I aim to learn, especially as my main project will at the very least require me to do storyboards.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo

For me personally, and I know a ton of people will disagree with me, but I wouldn't call myself a writer unless I was writing a lot. Constantly. Every day. I feel like being a writer is really easy, you just have to stop thinking about writing and actually write. But if you're not writing you're not a writer.

Sometimes I am a writer and sometimes I'm not; it's a fluid state. Right now I'll admit I probably am because I'm writing a couple thousand words a day. But there have been months where I haven't written at all (outside of things like forums) and I would not call myself a writer during those periods of time.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The "Neither!" option can be used as an "Other/Something else!" option if you guys don't think you fall into either Artist or Writer.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.