Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What are you reading?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Just finished Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone last night, going to crack on with Chamber of Secrets tonight - one of my favs!

Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Nights View Post
    Currently reading Neil Gaiman's "Trigger Warning", in what little free time I have. Luckily, it's a book of short stories, so I can read it bit by bit, without worrying that I'm forgetting something.
    Have you read Gaiman's Fragile Things, another book of short stories? I haven't enjoyed his short works as much as I'd like, but maybe I'm just spoiled by his longer works. I've got an enormous backlog to read, but I'd like to give mini-Gaiman another shot.
    I have and quite enjoyed it. I get what you mean, though. While I'm a big fan of short stories, in general, his leave you wanting more. Especially considering how marvelous his longer works are.
    Formerly: Autumn Rain

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Currently reading Neil Gaiman's "Trigger Warning", in what little free time I have. Luckily, it's a book of short stories, so I can read it bit by bit, without worrying that I'm forgetting something.
    Have you read Gaiman's Fragile Things, another book of short stories? I haven't enjoyed his short works as much as I'd like, but maybe I'm just spoiled by his longer works. I've got an enormous backlog to read, but I'd like to give mini-Gaiman another shot.
    I have and quite enjoyed it. I get what you mean, though. While I'm a big fan of short stories, in general, his leave you wanting more. Especially considering how marvelous his longer works are.
    Cool, so how would you compare the two? Is it just more of the same, or has he gotten better? Gosh, that sounds terrible. I can't believe I'm asking if Neil smurfing Gaiman has gotten better at something.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Just finished up Fall of Hyperion which I read immediately after Hyperion. I have Endymion now and plan to start it once I catch up on the last few weeks of comics I haven't read yet.
    You sir, are in for a treat . Enjoy yerself.

Also, Pant Monster guy, what's wrong with buying from big named book stores? Except for the price?
    I managed to get the Endymion omnibus for a whopping 1 pence off amazon, plus £2.80 postage and packing. And considering the thing is like a slab of concrete, that was incredibly cheap.

Cool, so how would you compare the two? Is it just more of the same, or has he gotten better? Gosh, that sounds terrible. I can't believe I'm asking if Neil smurfing Gaiman has gotten better at something.
    It actually occurs to me that "leaves you wanting more" sounds worse than I meant it. His short stories are always amazing, I just end up wishing they'd keep going.

Haven't got very far yet, in the new book though. Only a few stories in. Though, from what I can tell, he's just as good as ever. If you love his previous short story books, you'll probably have the same reaction to this one. But, if you're not a fan of his short stories, it's doubtful you'll have your mind changed by this set.

It's Gaiman giving his all, but in smaller doses, like his previous short story books. Whether you're into it, is all a matter of personal preference.
    Formerly: Autumn Rain

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marky Tee View Post
    Also, Pant Monster guy, what's wrong with buying from big named book stores? Except for the price?
    I managed to get the Endymion omnibus for a whopping 1 pence off amazon, plus £2.80 postage and packing. And considering the thing is like a slab of concrete, that was incredibly cheap.
    There is nothing wrong with buying from big named book stores. There are quite a few books/authors that I only buy from Barnes and Noble. But for some books I feel the need for them to smell just right and to have already been properly well loved.
    For instance, there are four or five series/sagas/whatever that I only buy form B&N because I need the as soon as they are out in paperback because I follow those particular series very closely. (Cal Leandros/Mercy Thompson/Nightside/Kyle Swanson novels being examples) But other books that I have been out for a while and I am just getting into, I prefer and enjoy the hunt for. (Hyperion/GoT/Secret Histories/Dresden Files/Odd Thomas/Sandman Slim/ other books that I have owned and want again) I love the hunt for books in an old book shop. Book shops smell just right.

I am currently reading Wicked. Just started it.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    Just finished Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone last night, going to crack on with Chamber of Secrets tonight - one of my favs!
    (SPOILER)Flying Ford Anglia Mystifies Muggles

Blog Entries

I'm reading The Goldfinch.

It's slow going cuz I just have a weird aversion to physical books now, but I'm halfway through and really enjoying it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Still reading Sophie's Choice. It's been slow going but it's starting to pick up now