Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, fair enough! Not all memoirs are for everyone.

I just meant not ALL of it is meant to be funny. She's pretty candid and straightforward about her bedwetting, but her depression and over-medication especially.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, I read The Hobbit once again. Still trampling through The Silmarillion. Starting The Fellowship of the Ring.
    I really want to finish these LotR books because I want to finish the Earthsea novels and also read Wicked.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

FFXIV Character

Devore Jojishi (Sargatanas)

I'm reading two things, the first Harry Potter and the Method of Rationality. It's a fan fiction were Harry is extremely smart/borderline evil, kind of like Yagami Light, and is trying to merge science and magic and possibly take over the world.

The second is called Worm and is set in a world with super heroes in it. It's kind of like a Marvel or DC universe except far darker and more realistic as people sometimes die in very gruesome ways. Which is to be expected when psychopaths are running around with super powers. Also, all the powers are surprisingly unique.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

BJ got a tablet for his birthday, and he's been letting me use it. I got a manga app and have been reading manga like bananas. I have a few ongoing series on my list but I just finished Private Prince, which was not bad. Just started Welcome to the NHK last night but it might be a little too shounen for my tastes; gonna give it a few more chapters.

About 28%( thank you kindle) in to The End of all Songs by Michael Moorcock, been quite funny and interesting

Gonna give time travel a rest for a while, it's all i've been reading for ages, and give the fantasy genre another crack of the whip, not read any fantasy really since LOFT, and if i'm honest that bored me.

Gonna get stuck in to the Mazalan Book of the Fallen series.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Discovering that all of the knowledge I hoarded about ancient Egypt as a kid has not gone totally unused as there are quite a few references to gods and terminology in American Gods and I am stupidly satisfied that I am catching them all.

It's finally starting to pick up and I am pretty stoked to see where it goes.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Discovering that all of the knowledge I hoarded about ancient Egypt as a kid has not gone totally unused as there are quite a few references to gods and terminology in American Gods and I am stupidly satisfied that I am catching them all.

(I feel kind of dirty using this. Like, should I have shion's permission to use it, first? It's just the only fitting emote)

American Gods is so exquisitely perfectly yummy. It might even be time for me to read it again.

Please, if you have comments on the book after you're done, make them all positive or I'll be forced to hate you forever.

I mean, not really, but I'll be super super sad and maybe even cry a little.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Slowly reading Sophie's Choice.

Also, enjoy the , that's what it's there for

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post

(I feel kind of dirty using this. Like, should I have shion's permission to use it, first? It's just the only fitting emote)

American Gods is so exquisitely perfectly yummy. It might even be time for me to read it again.

Please, if you have comments on the book after you're done, make them all positive or I'll be forced to hate you forever.

Well, it's been rough to get into. My fabulous Neil Gaiman and a succubus with an enveloping vagina do not really mix. That was a disturbingly off-putting scene!

Shadow has been an incredibly boring character up until just recently, I've felt like he's just so goddamn bland. The chapter with Salim and the ifrit are where things changed for me, and I started to find the story interesting and curious rather than a chore. And since visiting The Egypt Crew Mortuary, things have been awesome. I'm on board now. Still trying to figure out what god Shadow is, though, as he obviously is one.

Also, somehow Wednesday has defaulted in my mind to a mixture of Jackie Earle Haley and Tom Waits. And maybe Mickey Rourke.

FFXIV Character

(SPOILER)
    Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post

Well, it's been rough to get into. My fabulous Neil Gaiman and a succubus with an enveloping vagina do not really mix. That was a disturbingly off-putting scene!
    I'm not going to defend it here, but it works. Try not to dwell on it, though.

(SPOILER)
    Shadow has been an incredibly boring character up until just recently, I've felt like he's just so goddamn bland. The chapter with Salim and the ifrit are where things changed for me, and I started to find the story interesting and curious rather than a chore. And since visiting The Egypt Crew Mortuary, things have been awesome. I'm on board now.
    Still trying to figure out what god Shadow is, though, as he obviously is one.
    That's the best part, figuring it out, seeing how it unfolds.

Also, somehow Wednesday has defaulted in my mind to a mixture of Jackie Earle Haley and Tom Waits. And maybe Mickey Rourke.
    I had this in my head from the beginning.

A little cliched perhaps, but I couldn't shake it once it was there.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can see that. Old curmudgeony men with gruff voices are the representation of Wednesday.

FFXIV Character

No, I like Mickey Earle Waits better. I just didn't think of it at the time.

Also, to stay on topic, I'm reading Making Your Own Days: The Pleasures of Reading and Writing Poetry by Kenneth Koch.

Our Mutual Friend by Dickens. He was my favorite author in high school, and I decided to revisit him and see if he still holds up. It was a bit of an awkward transition as I've been contently treading in the waters of the modernists and post-modernists for a couple of years now, which is obviously way different than Victorian literature. But being Dickens' last completed novel, I find that it actually anticipates modernism in a lot of ways. The characters are a good deal more cerebral and dynamic than what I remember from Dickens' earlier works.

I'm enjoying it, about 300 pages in out of more than 800. The humor is absolutely spot-on; I find myself actually laughing out loud every few pages. Although the characters are less flat than I remember from previous encounters with Chuck, in true Dickens fashion the bad-guys are pretty smurfing bad, and the good guys are salt-of-the-earth paragons of humanity. The story is interesting and the descriptions of London, from the grimy soot-covered shacks to the most lavish of ballrooms, are very good. It's a nostalgic read and I'm having fun with it, basically.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    Our Mutual Friend by Dickens. He was my favorite author in high school, and I decided to revisit him and see if he still holds up. It was a bit of an awkward transition as I've been contently treading in the waters of the modernists and post-modernists for a couple of years now, which is obviously way different than Victorian literature. But being Dickens' last completed novel, I find that it actually anticipates modernism in a lot of ways. The characters are a good deal more cerebral and dynamic than what I remember from Dickens' earlier works.

I'm enjoying it, about 300 pages in out of more than 800. The humor is absolutely spot-on; I find myself actually laughing out loud every few pages. Although the characters are less flat than I remember from previous encounters with Chuck, in true Dickens fashion the bad-guys are pretty smurfing bad, and the good guys are salt-of-the-earth paragons of humanity. The story is interesting and the descriptions of London, from the grimy soot-covered shacks to the most lavish of ballrooms, are very good. It's a nostalgic read and I'm having fun with it, basically.
    There's a pretty fantastic OMF mini-searies. This is one of my favorite Dickens novels.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I got Pumpkin her favorite Stephen King book for Christmas. It's Salem's Lot, and I've never read it, so now I'm getting around to it.

So far, it's pretty solid. Vampires are jerks.