6 26.09%
  • Eh, sometimes.

2 8.70%
  • Very rarely

2 8.70%
  • Nope!

8 34.78%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you frequently suffer from allergies?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I can't wear stuff that has nickel in it. That's about it.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yep! I have indoor and outdoor allergies which include some cats, some dogs, a type of drag weed, cigarette smoke, a type of mold, cockroaches (yeah I dunno either), and a severe allergy to dust. It's gotten to the point where I can tell how clean a place is because my nose is super sensitive to certain allergens.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Anyone else who has bad allergies ever get feelings of horrid fatigue? I've been getting this lately - when my allergies are flaring up on a morning it feels like an extra effort to get out of bed and I always feel so doped up until I force myself to get fresh air!

Do you take anything for it? Benadryl, and sometimes even Zyrtec (and their generic knock-offs) can sometimes knock you on your butt. The active ingredient in Benadryl is actually used as a sleep-aid. So that could cause it. But for me, yes, allergies do wear me out from time to time. I presume the whole "body fighting histamines" thing takes a toll on things like your immune system and probably helps with vitamin deficiencies. Heck, an allergy itself is commonly defined as some type of deficiency. So it stands to reason I suppose. But you are not alone. Hell sometimes I feel actually sick from allergies. Not runny nose sneezing kinda sick. Actually not even coughing or congestion sick (even though when its bad I do get lots of gunk in my lungs). But sometimes I just feel like the life is being drained out of me, and I have no motivation because I just feel dead

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, most allergy medications like Zyrtec will recommend you take it during the evening before bed because it can make you drowsy. I don't think Clairitin has ever caused me drowsiness, but Zrytec a few times maybe.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Nah, I always take the non-drowsy stuff and I can feel this way even before I take a tablet. I've read it's pretty normal to feel a bit lethargic when you're stuffy!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm allergic to my cat being annoying at 5 am

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I tend to suffer with hay fever and it gets worse with pollution and dust. This just means I tend to keep my room clean and tidy especially during the summer months where it gets to the worst levels. Living in London means I can't really escape the pollution however, which frankly sucks.

I also have allergies to Oranges, Passion Fruit and Gold.

Being allergic to Gold doesn't bother me that much as with my complexion (pale skin, dark hair very brooding) I look better with Silver jewellery when I wear any at all, though when I eventually meet someone whom I wish to marry the wedding rings will be a pain in the ass as I'll have to go for Platinum or something. I could probably get away with White Gold as it's 60% Silver but if it's something I'll be expected to wear for the rest of my life I'd rather not get a rash from it. Before anyone goes saying that this allergy is impossible, I'll point out two things; nothing is impossible and I've tested this with Gold that is at least 24 carats and yup, I got a rash. Which is why I gave my sister my Dad's sovereign and signet rings when they were handed down to me by my mom.

Oranges and Passion Fruit annoys the hell out of me. I love both of these fruits but eating them makes my mouth super itchy to the point that I have been known to chew my tongue and gums til they're bleeding and swollen. It also means I can't enjoy things like cocktail evenings which is a shame as a lot of girls like going on them as dates and I'm there having a Guinness. I've gotten pretty good at ensuring that I have enough Vitamin C in my diet by switching over to things like Pineapples or Lemon/Limes which contain as much, or in the case of Pineapple's more vitamins.

Over all I've learnt to deal with my allergies pretty well. Though I've recently read an article which claimed antihistamines are linked with Alzheimers. If that article was accurate (it was in a tabloid paper so I'm not taking it too seriously to be perfectly honest) I'm smurfed.