Thread: Jupiter Ascending

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Jupiter Ascending

This film was amazing. The writing was laughably bad, Tatum and Kunis had zero charisma when they normally have oodles of it, and Eddie Redmayne was just laughably over-the-top. The Wachowski excess is fully present here and it was overlong, overstuffed, silly, and was just overall gloriously bad.

Who's seen it? Did you have to contain chuckles like I did?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

It was graphically amazing. Beautiful scenery! The cinematography was great. The costume design was awesome!

That's it.

The plot was bloated. The characters weren't consistent. Mila is a sharp witted smart girl in this scene but laughably stupid in this other scene. And the TatumxMila was just, suddenly they are in looooove. There was no development of that. It was like he saves her, they meet sean bean and he's like "yeah he's a previous solider of mine and he got in trouble and I took the wrap for him." and she goes "that's so hot." Gets taken and he comes to save her again, "omg your'e so hot for always saving me. I like dogs." No actual romantic development. Just loved the guy who saved your stupid ass from other aliens.

Speaking of the other aliens, why were all the action scenes soooo long. Like that beginning fight in the planes thing. I love action scenes, I super do. That just went on way too long.

What was the sister even there for?

The score was bad in my opinion. I listen to soundtracks on a regular basis for fun. I have favorite composers. This movies though? It was the typical campy action flick. In fact at one ridiculously long action scene I tuned out the movies score and started thinking of the Pacific Rim score, it fit better.

It wasn't so horribly bad omg. But it wasn't, spend $20 to go see in the theaters good. I say rent it or watch it when it comes on tv.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Speaking of the other aliens, why were all the action scenes soooo long.
    The Wachowski Brothers. Every question you can have about this movie can be summed up in three words.

The Wachowski Brothers.

I plan on seeing it next week because the trailer lured me in and I'm a fan of Mila Kunis and Sean Bean. The hype started to go down a bit when I heard about people walking out on a special showing of the film and that the Wachowski Brothers were behind the film. I mean, I like the Matrix, but every problem I've seen mentioned in this thread were apparent in the Matrix, so I'm getting a bigger picture of what to expect going in.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pretty disappointed in the reviews. This film was supposed to come out last year and it looked/sounded absolutely amazing. I've been looking forward to it for atleast a year. To hear such awful reviews of it breaks my heart for all of the waiting I've done ;-;

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Went online and saw the "I love dogs" scene.

I will wait on video release for this one.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've heard comparisons to 5th Element but based on the majority I'd say those people don't know what they are talking about. I'd only watch it to see at what point Sean Bean dies, because you know it's coming.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

The 5th Element is awesome, don't even pretend.

I hope Jupiter Ascending is so terrible that it's good. It sounds like it's just plain ol' terrible.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I'll save you the money Del, He doesn't.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    The Wachowski Brothers.
    Not to derail or turn this into a debate, but they're just The Wachowskis now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wachowskis

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Blasphemy!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    The Wachowski Brothers.
    Not to derail or turn this into a debate, but they're just The Wachowskis now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wachowskis
    I didn't know that! I just saw they were being referred to as the Wachowskis and thought they just shortened it and dropped off the brothers part. THE MORE YOU KNOW

Damn that's a real shame. I saw the teaser late last year and it looked like a pretty cool sci-fi adventure, was looking forward to it.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I expected it to be bad. Pretty effects don't really capture me in film trailers.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It really bugs me because I think more female and transgender directors and writers in sci-fi is necessary but goddamn Lana can you have less awful ​movies.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Eh, I saw it today. I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would after all the awful reviews I read.

The acting was less than stellar at parts and there were a few ultra cheesy scenes (the "I love dogs" and the shamelessly cliche kissing scene to name a couple) but overall it wasn't bad. The fight scenes are really fun to watch and the premise of the plot is neat, even if it's not carried out well. It feels like they were trying to fit a trilogy's worth of content into a single film, because for a two hour film it feels like every single plot point is being flown through to account for time. It's kind of a shame, because when this film was first announced I thought it sounded fantastic, and it could have been.

Actually, watching it and all it's flaws felt to me a lot like watching Dune, so much so that I'm surprised the same person didn't direct both. Is that more insulting to Lynch or The Wachowski Brothers?
    I like Kung-Fu.