Thread: Transferring Data from Wii > Wii U

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default Transferring Data from Wii > Wii U

Got a Wii U for Xmas (yay me). I'm wondering whether or not I should bother transferring the data from my Wii to my Wii U.

The only transferable data I have on there are my Miis & my game saves. I don't have any virtual console games.

The thing that gets me is if I wanted to have the Wii in another room to play, then I would no longer have my saves after the transfer. Also heard that Nintendo actually charges to transfer Miis from Wii to Wii U. I pretty much could just recreate my Miis w/ little issue on the Wii U if that's the case.

What are your opinions about this? Did you guys transfer your data?

Why would you not have your saves? You can put them on the Wii's SD card if you need to. Not sure how the transfer works, but I know the Wii can move/copy saves on SD cards. It can't load from there, but you can back them up and copy them back to its system memory when necessary

I'd probably have to own a WiiU to give a better answer. And the fact that I don't have one probably means I'm missing something fundamental. Like if it's "transfer" is similar to how the 360 let you change hard drives with the redesign and the transfer cable was necessary and it auto-wiped the old hard drive (which is ridiculous)

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Some games don't allow transfer of saves via SD card, IIRC. We moved the majority of them by SD, but for games like Brawl and MKWii you need to do the system transfer.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

According to the manual, you still use the SD card for the transfer & it wipes out the files on the Wii.

In a way, I just don't want my Wii to become completely "irrelevant".

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I transferred my stuff easily. I had some virtual console games and whatnot though, and I wanted all of my miis on my Wii U. I didn't have to pay to transfer the Miis so I don't think that's true? I dunno.

I guess what's important is if you think you'd be playing those games on the Wii anymore. Do you have saves that are really all that important to you should you play on the Wii itself again? You can't choose what to transfer over and keep, so it is correct that all of those saves will be wiped from/unusable from the Wii completely. Some might transfer back through SD card, but I don't think that's a common thing you can do.

My Wii still holds relevance as it is my only Gamecube game player right now.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

One thing I never got a chance to do was play Gamecube games on my Wii.

Articles

This is the only reason my Wii is still set up. I play Wii games on my Wii U now.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Eh, turns out I don't have an extra SD card. So I've been playing w/o transferring. I absolutely love Mario 3D World. NintendoLand was OK. I'm sure that's a great party game, but it's kind of odd having to hold up the gamepad to see.

Articles

Just wait until the captain toad mini game in 3d world. Full 360' movement required.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Matt View Post
    Just wait until the captain toad mini game in 3d world. Full 360' movement required.
    I played the one. I just used the right stick to move the camera.

I didn't know Capt. Toad was even in 3D world until I got to it. I wonder, which of the Toads is the main Toad? Is it the blue one you play as, or is it Capt. Toad?

Articles

Main toad is the one that you see in the cartoons. Captain toad is a different dude. He first appeared in galaxy and regular toad was running about there I'm sure. Giving out mail n stuff.