View Poll Results: Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis/Mega Drive?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Super Nintendo

21 77.78%
  • Sega Genesis/Mega Drive

6 22.22%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Super Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis/Mega Drive

Both. Both are really good and solid consoles that made alot of people happy and gave alot of people good childhood memories.

Though the problem with the Mega Drive is that alot of good games are there, though they are hidden gems, that didn't get noticed for some reason.

Everybody knows Sonic, Streets of Rage, Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy, Starfox, Megaman etc

But not everybody knows some forgotten Mega Drive gems like Strider, Rocket Knight Adventures, Gunstar Heroes, Wonder Boy In Monster World, and Wiz and Liz.

So I find the opinion that the SNES has a better library of games a bit of a lie, they have a better well-known and popular library, but when it comes to their library of games, they are both pretty good and solid.

I think your favorite one is whatever one you grew up with, or whatever console just happened to have the collection of games that you preferred the most.

The Mega Drive does have a lot of strange and odd titles though, that might of put people off from trying newer and unique titles, hence why so many games got pushed underneath the rugs.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I played a lot of "obscure" games for both systems and still maintain that overall the SNES had the better library. I'm not saying this to discount the Genesis and its games. Both systems were fantastic. But I wanted to point out that I'm definitely considering the "little games" when I take this question into consideration.

16 bit generation is so good mmmmmmm

Blog Entries

That Front Mission though. And Tactics Ogre! And Treasure of the Rudras!

As long as we're talking about bad games, though, Altered Beast was pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by KentaRawr! View Post
    As long as we're talking about bad games, though, Altered Beast was pretty bad.
    Agree. So slow and clunky.

the wise from yow gwave is hilarious at the opening though.

Quote Originally Posted by KentaRawr! View Post
    That Front Mission though.
    <3

It's crazy going back to Altered Beast now and remembering that people bought consoles for it. X_X

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Ah yes, the Console Wars. Good times. For me it was no contest. SNES had the FF and Mario franchises and that alone would be enough. I did have a Genesis friend and I would go over to his house if I ever wanted to play Sonic.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

Altered Beast was bad? How it wind up in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection?

I'm gonna have to play that for myself now.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Snes win by far, they had all the squaresoft games of that time..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post

I think it's on the collection because it is seen as a classic for the console, being the original pack-in game. It's not terrible, but I feel it has aged poorly.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Final Fantasy VI version 1.0 for this reason... Cant really say I played many games, but a broken version of a game gets all of my anger. *Disclaimer: I love VI, but the broken version? not so much*

Genesis? Sonic 3D Blast.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post

I think it's on the collection because it is seen as a classic for the console, being the original pack-in game. It's not terrible, but I feel it has aged poorly.
    I freaking LOVED Altered Beast, me n my bro used to play that game for hours, some of my fondest memories on the Genesis.

:monster:

The broken version of VI is awesome on an emulator though, because it allows players to do this. On an actual console I agree, though, not so great.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Sonic 3D Blast was certainly... special

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

i would say super nintendo due to me liking more games on it but my first coonsole was a sega megadrive ( genesis) so i have to go with that ... and you cant beat a bit of sonic now and again ( ive never really liked mario except waluigi)

maybee had a point. There were a lot of obscure games I enjoyed on the Genesis. They weren't fantastic, but they sort of added together to a big pile of enjoyment. Valis and E-SWAT stand out in my mind. Its like campy good-bad movies. Not perfect, but perfectly enjoyable. And Ecco was so relaxing and stressful at the same time. Really weird and charming. My experience with the SNES was skewed by the fact that I got it second hand, and cherry picked the games I got for it way after its heyday in the limelight. So I knew going in, that most Square games were the way to go, and that was pretty much it other than the Mario collection. I didn't grow up with it. I didn't save up and waste my money on a bad nintendo game. Or spend entire evenings trying to conquer a world in Mario. All that time and frustration and love was spent on the Genesis

And as sick as it is, I really loved me some SegaCD (and even a very little bit of 32X)

Articles
    Blog Entries

The 32X allowed me to play Doom so I can't be too mad at it.

I think Cyborg Justice can fall on the side of obscure. At least I think so. I don't know many people who played it.