View Poll Results: Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis/Mega Drive?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Super Nintendo

21 77.78%
  • Sega Genesis/Mega Drive

6 22.22%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Super Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis/Mega Drive

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I think I once read somewhere, the deal fell through partly because Nintendo didn't like the big SONY logo on the add-on (which, btw, was to be named Playstation).

Blog Entries

Nintendo pulled out because Sony had in the contract that they were to get more of the profits (naturally, since they were the ones developing the system, with Nintendo along for the ride). They balked at that and thus the PSX we know now was born. All because of Nintendo. Think about that.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I miss games like Streets of Rage.
    I love this game. It's available to play on PS2 on the Sega Collection and probably other consoles too.
    I have it on my Xbox 360 along with a bunch of other Sega classics that I need to get around to playing eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Imagine how powerful they'd be if they'd have stuck it out with Sony
    lol dumbest thing Nintendo did, dropping their deal with Sony.

Or could thing, since the PlayStation 4 the Wii 2 would of sounded terrible. 8D

I know this is old news but I wanted to weigh in.

When the SNES came along, it was kind of a joke. Super Mario World was pretty good, but if you'd played Mario 3, you weren't getting that much more. Sonic the Hedgehog was going strong, and it seemed like nothing could stop him. Zelda III came out, everyone loved it, but the Hedgehog kept the hits coming with Sonic 2.

You have no idea how big the release of Sonic 2 was. You weren't there, you wouldn't get it.

They advertised the release...that hadn't really been done in video games before. They made an awfully big deal of it, and damned if they didn't deliver.

And just as it seemed Sonic was ready to pummel the crap out of the poor SNES and its Hyper Zones and F-Zeros once and for all, something strange happened.

Street Fighter II came out for the SNES, and we all breathed a collective sigh of relief that we could now practice these freaking moves without busting out another roll of quarters for the machine (or the local assclowns) to take.

Super Mario Kart came next, and then Starfox, Mega Man X, and...

Uh...Super Metroid...

The Genesis put forth a valiant effort, even being as brazen as to include the Mortal Kombat "Blood Code" where the SNES did not, but its sound processor just started to sound irritating after a few playthroughs of Zelda III.

Super Metroid just blew the freaking crap out of it, Hyper Beam style. Final Fantasy and Squaresoft in general also found their footing, and would go on to make history in the next generation.

The games that were ported to both consoles heavily favored the SNES, as its SPU was just so much better at porting the Arcade-style tunes effectively. Samurai Shodown in particular sounded beautiful on the SNES, if a bit muddy. The Genesis version may have been technically closer to the Neo Geo, but the sample rate is ear-bleeding.

Art of Fighting for the SNES even managed to include the zooming camera!!

It just doesn't get better or faster than a SNES. Even the N64 will not get you more bang for your gaming buck. Emulation of it is spotty, even to this day, unless you own a particularly powerful computer.

Sorry, Sega...the gamers of the 90s had spoken, and they decided to play it loud.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    When the SNES came along, it was kind of a joke.
    I'm not sure it was a joke, but I agree it certainly didn't have an immediate impact. In fact, when it was released the only two games that were released were Super Mario World and Pilotwings. Not much in the way of launch titles even though both games were excellent.

Nintendo certainly didn't rush the release of the SNES. It was over a full year after the Genesis/Megadrive was released before the SNES appeared which would be unheard of today. The main reason for this is because the NES was still making them so much money they were in no rush at all to release the SNES.

It just doesn't get better or faster than a SNES.
    Technically, the Genesis/Megadrive was more than twice as fast as the SNES. While the SNES could handle more colours and sprites and was more powerful, the Genesis/Megadrive ran at 7.67 MHz whilst the SNES was only a meagre 3.58MHz. This is the reason that many SNES games suffered a lot from slowdown. Anyone who has played Super R-Type can attest to this!

Sorry, Sega...the gamers of the 90s had spoken, and they decided to play it loud.
    Agreed. There was just no touching the SNES at the time for the sheer quantity of quality games for it. Still my favourite console of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Technically, the Genesis/Megadrive was more than twice as fast as the SNES. While the SNES could handle more colours and sprites and was more powerful, the Genesis/Megadrive ran at 7.67 MHz whilst the SNES was only a meagre 3.58MHz. This is the reason that many SNES games suffered a lot from slowdown. Anyone who has played Super R-Type can attest to this!
    So you're saying you could make a Super Nintendo more powerful by including a coprocessor? 3.58MHz + 3.58MHz = 7.16 MHz, unless my math is rusty.

Making the SNES more powerful might be the mistake that dooms us all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Related: http://venturebeat.com/2014/08/20/he...h-console-war/

This shows the winner of each console war starting with the SNES/GEN battle. It shows how close the two were in sales, too.

Did not expect the Wii to win the last one.