Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you count audio books as "reading"?

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

It's not reading in the traditional sense. However if you're giving it your full and undivided attention like you would when actually reading a book, then you are still engaging with the material. However you're engaging with someone elses interpretation of the material, the inflection and tone they put into their speech can affect how you visualize the story in your mind.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I don't listen to them much but Stephen Fry reading Hitchhiker's Guide is an A+ magical event that everybody needs to experience at least once in their lifetime.
    Damn straight. I was disappointed that it was Martin Freeman doing The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. I mean, I like Martin Freeman, but...

I listened to Dune, and it had different voice actors, music and sound effects. It was brilliant!

I say it's reading. It's a really slow way to consume a book, though I probably say that because I used to spend my lunchbreaks listening to them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Reading, in my personal definition, is going over and understanding letters/symbols with your eyes. Therefore I don't consider listening to audio books to be reading. Not that this makes any difference, mind you, since audio books can be just as engaging, or even more so, than books.

Although to me, that super engrossing reading experience comes only from visual novels. Combining the storytelling capabilities of books, movies, series and games all into one, that combo creates an immersion like I had never experienced before. That being said a medium like visual novels requires more conviction from the reader themselves. Reading a visual novel is quite demanding.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's not technically reading based on the dictionary definition blah blah blah semantic dribble, but I'd say it's equivalent. The words are getting into your head one way or another. Sometimes people consume information better audibly rather than visually.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For me, it's about time. I have an hour and a half roundtrip drive to work every day, which extends even longer in the winter with the weather. Listening to audiobooks in the car is convenient for me in that time.

I can become either submersed or distracted just the same if I'm either reading a book or listening to it. If I'm listening and cleaning or cooking, I will become too distracted and not pay attention, so I've stopped doing that. In the car, though, I can focus much better. Even if I'm actually reading, though, often times something will spark my mind and I'll go off on a thinking tangent while my eyes are still scanning words on the page, and I'll have forgotten everything I've read for a couple of paragraphs. Does this happen to anyone else?

Either way, same information we are consuming, just in a difference manner of consuming it.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I wouldn't call it READING because it's not literally READING. But if I was making a list of books I've "read" this year, I would include audiobooks.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    It's not technically reading based on the dictionary definition blah blah blah semantic dribble, but I'd say it's equivalent. The words are getting into your head one way or another. Sometimes people consume information better audibly rather than visually.
    Especially if you're blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    I wouldn't call it READING because it's not literally READING. But if I was making a list of books I've "read" this year, I would include audiobooks.
    As would I.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

no.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

No. Reading is reading.

I won't say it's not engrossing, and that it doesn't stimulate the mind. I think it certainly does. It's a great option for driving, flying, the hearing impaired, etc. I've thought about picking up some audio books, but my commute is only about 20-30 minutes, and outside of driving I have no reason to not just read a book.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Unless you're reading along with the audio books, then no it's not reading. Listening to an audio book is akin to listening to a podcast. Though I would still say finishing audio books count as you having completed the book. I agree with what others said though about the difference of reading vs listening. I know some people who are more audible learners, but I cannot for the life of me retain information if I listen to just the audio book. I have to also be following along, or I will just read it, which I prefer.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

it's reading

the laser is reading the data from the cd/harddrive as you output the data into audio which then is processed by your auditory brain bits

data -> data -> data

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    it's reading

the laser is reading the data from the cd/harddrive as you output the data into audio which then is processed by your auditory brain bits

data -> data -> data
    But you are not reading, the CD player is

As I told my lovely wife when she asked, it depends on your definition of 'reading' is and what the context of the question is. If it's being used as a synonym for 'consuming' then yes, it counts. If it's being used to mean 'absorbing information via retinal input of visual shapes,' no, obviously.

I can't multi-task while doing either one, unless one of the tasks is automatic/unconscious, like driving. There's no way I could play DotA or soccer or something while listening to a podcast or audiobook, unless I wanted to miss the book.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I wouldn't say its reading for the simple fact that if I'd listened to an audiobook and someone asked "Have you read X" I would say "No, but I've listened to the audiobook."

I don't think I've ever listened to an audiobook though. Just doesn't interest me

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    it's reading

data -> data -> data
    But you are not reading, the CD player is
    Then the question should have been whether we consider audiobooks as reading by a person only with no technological assistance
    Although we can then argue that eyeballs and the optic nerve is nothing but biological tech that facilitate reading but the brain itself isn't reading, rather processing translations of data
    And so if eyeballs are too silly a disconnect from the self to make, then proponents of the singularity might argue that a CD player is nothing more than another extension of the brain, and where the line between self and accessory is drawn depends on your ableness

Anyway, are comic books reading? Much of the story is pictures
    Yet I say I read comics
    I wouldn't say I partially read comics and partially view the frames of activity