Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Things that bug you in games

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

So I'm done playing and run to the save point or whatever:
    I open the menu, go down to save, select memory card slot/save location, and then select the actual save spot.
    And get this stupid message: DO YOU WANT TO SAVE? Why yes, I would love to save. That's why I did all the above!

Articles
    Blog Entries

The Shoryuken input.

Seriously I hate it. I can't do it in a tight spot even when I REALLY need to, I mess it up way more than I'd like to admit, and why the hell can't it just be forward+up+hit instead?

What if you wanted to do a short-hop punch, though? D:

(I jump when I mean to do Shoryukens sometimes. >_<)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    What if you wanted to do a short-hop punch, though? D:

(I jump when I mean to do Shoryukens sometimes. >_<)
    In that case you press hit shortly after pressing forward+up instead of pressing them all together.

I low kick most of the time I try to execute it in front of an enemy.

All that is why I don't play fighters.

Fight-stick? Or any joystick? I have a hard time getting used to mine, I bought for Street Fighter 4, but I have to agree that it feels way more precise. But I have a hard time making a conscious effort to BE precise in the heat of battle. I'm not that much of a button masher, but I do mash. I know the moves. I just mash them until they work. Rather than what the term implies, people who just hit everything and go crazy on the controller. But you can't mash out moves on a joystick x_x It's probably worth getting used to though. I did do shoryukens 90% more effectively (as I too have problems doing them on purpose in the heat of battle, especially in a corner). But that's mostly because I have to do them 90% slower on a joystick lol

Randomized item collection in Zelda, mainly.

Like collecting rings in Oracle of Ages/Seasons, and a couple of the Pieces of Heart are also random.
    Collecting ship parts in Phantom Hourglass. Why can I never find hulls for any ship set? Or even complete one?
    Random figurines in Minish Cap. It wouldn't be that bad if there weren't so many entries. I 100% completed this once... never again!

Way to screw with my need for 100% completion, Nintendo!

Can we have a mention to games that won't let you take a certain person out of the party no matter how much you want to.
    Last edited by Masamunemaster; 01-13-2015 at 06:12 PM. Reason: horrible spelling

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bad checkpoints. Oh good god this has probably become my biggest pet peeve in the past year. I do a TON of challenge runs, so when a game decides that I need to go like 5-10minutes back before the area/fight I died at... it gets frustrating. I die a lot in my challenge runs (that's kind of the point of them), so when stuff just becomes tedious to the point where I no longer want to be creative it becomes a huge issue. I've abandoned quite a few challenges because of this.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've thought of another one. Horribly unnatural conversation. It tends to go either overly vague and cryptic, or TMI.

Examples:

Natural conversation:
    Joe Badguy: So did you finish preparations on the cannon?
    Bill Henchman: I did.
    Joe Badguy: Good. We don't want to run in to any trouble like last time. Oh, and give John Evilbro a call. I think he'll be helpful against Hank Hero.

What some games do 1:
    Joe Badguy: So did you prepare IT?
    Joe Badguy: Good. We don't want and INCIDENT like LAST TIME. Oh and call HIM, he might be useful against YOU KNOW WHO.

What some games do 2:
    Joe Badguy: Did you prepare the cannon that we have been working on and are planning to use to destroy the home village of Hank Hero because he has opposed us so many times?
    Joe Badguy: Good. We don't want another incident like when Hank Hero foiled our plans the last time by catching us off guard, sneaking in to the base, and disarming the old cannon. Oh and call John Evilbro. You had amnesia and John Evilbro brought you here to us after watching you wander the desert, which is how you came to this EvilCorp in the first place. You've felt indebted to him since. He might prove handy against Hank Hero, who is our enemy since he wants world peace and we want world domination.

There's an inbetween guys

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    The Shoryuken input.

Seriously I hate it. I can't do it in a tight spot even when I REALLY need to, I mess it up way more than I'd like to admit, and why the hell can't it just be forward+up+hit instead?
    I had a problem with shoryukens and tatsumaki's and the like when I was younger but I learned that a Shoryuken is just simply: Forward, Down, Forward, Punch. You don't even need to slide your fingers across the d-pad as the command list graphic would have you do it. You could even try chicken pecking it with your index finger as practice and you'll get the muscle memory for it eventually!

My current bane in fighting games is doing more than one consecutive half circle directional input in mid-air, just to do a character's special attack, which has prevented me from using one of my favorite King of Fighter characters, Leona, in any serious battles.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Lawr View Post
    My current bane in fighting games is doing more than one consecutive half circle directional input in mid-air, just to do a character's special attack, which has prevented me from using one of my favorite King of Fighter characters, Leona, in any serious battles.
    Ohhhh, man, have you ever tried to do K9999's air HSDM? It's, like, b,f,b,f,b,f,b,f in the air. It sounds so easy until you try it. I've lost games just trying to get the damn thing off. X_X

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ohhhh, man, have you ever tried to do K9999's air HSDM? It's, like, b,f,b,f,b,f,b,f in the air. It sounds so easy until you try it. I've lost games just trying to get the damn thing off. X_X
    Oh my goodness this, I think this might be the reason why I could never get into Blazblue because almost every characters move set feels like some weird special move only combo which involves multiple Hadoken/Shoryuken motions that I just don't have the patience to learn.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Oh my goodness this, I think this might be the reason why I could never get into Blazblue because almost every characters move set feels like some weird special move only combo which involves multiple Hadoken/Shoryuken motions that I just don't have the patience to learn.
    Ugh good gracious!

It's hard to think of an excuse for overly complicated button inputs (when there are other characters who are simpler and just as effective) other than to be a dickhead to the fans that want to play as said character. Moves like Shun Goku Satsu, Neo Deadly Rave, and even QCB,HCF inputs are perfectly okay but anything past that is just stupid! In my opinion.
    placeholder_text.jpeg